Connect with us

Movies

Bret Easton Ellis Fantasizes ‘American Psycho’ Literary Sequel

Published

on

American Psycho

With Lionsgate already prepping a new American Psycho feature (Dec. 8), author and franchise creator Bret Easton Ellis took to Twitter where he spent the past week talking up a potential written sequel as well. He has already made a demand as to who should take over as Patrick Bateman, so maybe his mind is racing with new ideas — or maybe he’s just a sarcastic fellow making a ton of jokes….

On March 10th he writes, “1:00 AM in L.A. and sitting at my desk finishing a script and suddenly I’m making notes on where Patrick Bateman’s now and maybe he could…” He continued: “Hmmm… Maybe I’ll call my publishers on Monday… But have to figure out what the structure is…

The idea? It’s absolutely unclear if the author is JOKING, but if he is for real, inside you can read a slew of tweets gathered that tease a potential new tale for the psychotic Patrick Bateman. [Now is the time to play The Nylon Curtain on iTunes] “Flashback: Patrick as a teenager and then moves into college before he gets to New York and how Pierce & Pierce is forced by his dad to…”

“Definitely murders at prep school and …”

“Patrick at Harvard listening to The Nylon Curtain… maybe Nebraska… maybe Don Henley…”

“I would love Patrick dissecting Don Henley’s “Building the Perfect Beast”…”

“Patrick’s first killing would not have been at Harvard. It would have been before… it would have been his father’s mistress…”

“Patrick would hate Obama and for example, go into great detail about the Honey Badger fraudulence of #Kony2012 and he’d love Kim Kardashian.”

“How would Patrick Bateman deal with the notion of transparency? Or did he already deal with it in the original? Thoughts as I write notes…”

“Patrick would post pics of murdered girls on Facebook and either no one would notice or post “Fuck yeah” and that’s what I’m thinking about.”

“Patrick would talk about Adele and Kanye and KATY PERRY because “Firework” is his favorite song… and then he kills Katy Perry’s trainer…”

“Patrick’s iPad would start speaking to him… Telling him Adele’s cover of The Cure drove him to killing, well, just about everybody…”

“I’ve three pages on where Patrick Bateman is now and where he came from. The most violent scene is in a sorority where PB rapes/kills 12…”

“Patrick would go on a very long dissertation about Coldplay’s oeuvre… His favorite song being “Fix You”…”

“Patrick would complain about spotify and the cloud and tumbler…but he would find victims via Blendr while listening to Beyonce and O.A.R.”

Ellis goes on and on via his Twitter feed, with many of his ideas leading this writer to believe he’s JOKING. Ellis is a sly fox, so we’ll have to see where this heads, either way he’s an entertaining writer that also deserves to be read via Twitter.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Advertisement
1 Comment

Movies

Do ‘Ready or Not’ and ‘Abigail’ Take Place in the Same Universe? Did You Spot This Connection?

Published

on

Abigail trailer

Both extremely bloody cat-and-mouse chases through massive mansions, Radio Silence’s horror movies Ready or Not and Abigail (now playing in theaters!) are certainly cut from the same cloth, but do they actually take place within a shared universe? It was a question the filmmakers were asked, and their response suggests that the answer to that question is YES.

Collider’s Perri Nemiroff asked the question of Radio Silence filmmakers Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, who co-directed both 2019’s Ready or Not and this year’s Abigail. As they point out, an Easter egg nestled within Abigail confirms a shared universe connection.

Bettinelli-Olpin tells Collider, “There is a portrait in the background of one of the scenes [in Abigail] of Henry Czerny’s [character from Ready or Not].” Gillet chimes in to clarify, “It would be a grandfather. A great, great, great, great grandfather [of Czerny’s character].”

Bettinelli-Olpin adds, “There is a little bit of a tied universe to Ready or Not within the movie.”

ready or not abigail

Actor Henry Czerny played the character Tony Le Domas in Radio Silence’s crowd-pleasing hit Ready or Not, the owner of the Le Domas Gaming Dominion and patriarch of the Le Domas family. The film centers on the Le Domas family’s deal with the devil to build their fortune, which Samara Weaving’s character Grace of course finds herself paying the price for.

If the Le Domas family exists in the world of Abigail, as the aforementioned portrait suggests, then that would indeed indicate that both films exist within the same bloody universe!

And it would seem there’s a deeper connection between the Le Domas family and the Lazar crime family introduced in Abigail. Have fun playing around with that idea. We know you will!

We’ll get you started. Is it possible that Abigail’s father is Mr. Le Bail from Ready or Not…?

In Abigail, “After a group of would-be criminals kidnap the 12-year-old ballerina daughter of a powerful underworld figure, all they have to do to collect a $50 million ransom is watch the girl overnight. In an isolated mansion, the captors start to dwindle, one by one, and they discover, to their mounting horror, that they’re locked inside with no normal little girl.”

Continue Reading