Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm
Se7en wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:52 am
gunsrazorsknives wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 pm
GOT is mainstream fantasy fodder.

#trollfail
it's become that
It's always been that. GOT has been mainstream from the very first book.
You're not getting me. The first few seasons were more like a period drama with fantasy elements than an all out LOTR type full on fantasy. They teased us for years about the extent of it.

Now it's all zombies and twists and explosions and war and huge body counts. Arguably the natural evolution of the show, but I feel like the mystique is gone and stuff (as cool as it may be) is just happening to happen after they promised us "Winter is coming" for so long. It's like the show is established and done, now it's the climax/finale. There's not this infinite world of people/places/possibilities anymore.

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Se7en wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:14 pm
gunsrazorsknives wrote:
Se7en wrote:
it's become that
You're not getting me. The first few seasons were more like a period drama with fantasy elements than an all out LOTR type full on fantasy. They teased us for years about the extent of it.

Now it's all zombies and twists and explosions and war and huge body counts. Arguably the natural evolution of the show, but I feel like the mystique is gone and stuff (as cool as it may be) is just happening to happen after they promised us "Winter is coming" for so long. It's like the show is established and done, now it's the climax/finale. There's not this infinite world of people/places/possibilities anymore.
So what you're really saying is, you're just bitter that it's coming to an end? :P

I will say though that as much as I love GOT, just throwing a bunch of epic battle sequences at us isn't going to cut it. It's now more crucial than ever that they don't start resting on their laurels that whatever they put out will automatically be good. There's still so many character arcs and dynamics, beyond just fire and blood, to be resolved that I hope it doesn't all get bogged down in favor of big spectacle. And more importantly, I want to be surprised. The all-out war has been teased for so long, so for them to not deliver would be ridiculous. However it doesn't have to be as cut and dry as it seems like it could be. I mean, just think about the probable trajectory of the show going forward; you can kinda, sorta map out the general direction. War of the houses this season, the wall comes down in the finale and then the final season is everyone putting aside their shit to fight the whitewalkers. Whilst I'd be totally fine with that outcome, I'd much prefer for them to really throw us off course with something huge.

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm
Se7en wrote:
gunsrazorsknives wrote:

So what you're really saying is, you're just bitter that it's coming to an end? :P

I will say though that as much as I love GOT, just throwing a bunch of epic battle sequences at us isn't going to cut it. It's now more crucial than ever that they don't start resting on their laurels that whatever they put out will automatically be good. There's still so many character arcs and dynamics, beyond just fire and blood, to be resolved that I hope it doesn't all get bogged down in favor of big spectacle. And more importantly, I want to be surprised. The all-out war has been teased for so long, so for them to not deliver would be ridiculous. However it doesn't have to be as cut and dry as it seems like it could be. I mean, just think about the probable trajectory of the show going forward; you can kinda, sorta map out the general direction. War of the houses this season, the wall comes down in the finale and then the final season is everyone putting aside their shit to fight the whitewalkers. Whilst I'd be totally fine with that outcome, I'd much prefer for them to really throw us off course with something huge.
If we were to translate GOT to a movie, this season feels like the final 25 minutes.

It's not like it's gonna be all crowd pleasing nonsense - I get why they're building the trailers this way - just wish that the veil (storyline, the fantasy elements, the characters) wasn't quite lifted as abruptly as it was. I remember a time where I had no clue about how the story would play out due to the absurd number of characters and intertwined political motivations between the families.

Now I know who everyone is and exactly what's going on. There's no wonder here, just adrenaline.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:27 am

Se7en wrote:
gunsrazorsknives wrote:
Se7en wrote:
it's become that

I get you fine.

Besides the first 2 seasons, which was more politics heavy, there's been plenty of fantasy elements which has been slowing ramping up.

This is what the show has been building up to. Complaining about it is redundant.

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 am

Okay I should clarify here because my typical offhand jabs kinda negate what I felt like I thought I was saying

I'm not saying this is bad television, I don't want people to think that I'm criticizing the show or the execution of what they're doing because it's the best the genre has seen in film or TV. I have to admit now that it does make sense in the context of the show. It has to end sometime.

Just on a personal level, this show being so unbelievable for the first few seasons on so many levels, to see it descend into what I've already described hurts a bit. It's not that we get the set pieces and what not, it's that that's become the show now in a lot of ways. Everything is a lead up to a setpiece. feel like it could be handled in a more subdued way - I remember how nutty Marshall's episode in season 2 was, now it's nothing.

(I'm sure it's still a top episode if I watched it now)

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:30 pm

Pumped up for the premiere :twisted:

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

Meh, couple of cool moments but this was by and large a recap episode. Lots of standing around explaining the plot. It's only the first episode, but let's not waste any more precious time meandering guys, huh?

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sounds like good ol GOT

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:03 pm

Any notice that Sansa is rocking Circe's old hairdo?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the ... 89bb18e4e2

Decimus
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Decimus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Atmosphere wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am
Meh, couple of cool moments but this was by and large a recap episode. Lots of standing around explaining the plot. It's only the first episode, but let's not waste any more precious time meandering guys, huh?
Boring as fuck, things should pick up later tho. :arrow: