General talk about movies, tv, etc.
Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: The Walking Dead (TV series)

Post by Se7en » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 am

edit

So do I have to catch up on this season
Atmosphere wrote:A friend of mine started (despite my cautions) Season 1 the other night and we ended up watching the whole 6 episodes in one sitting. It was actually pretty depressing looking back where this all started; how much promise the show had. It was well-directed, the characters were genuinely engaging, and despite a few iffy CG moments - it was pretty fine looking too.

Fast forward to now, and it's a completely different show. Amateurish on almost all levels. In terms of its aesthetic, especially, it's shocking to see how fucking ugly it has become. A shadow of its former self, as limp and deteriorated as the walkers. What a shame.
Thought they turned a corner aesthetically around season 5. New DP took over in 4. Remember it looking like shit, then suddenly getting a bit better.

Regardless, the 16mm isn't doing anyone any favors. Hard to shake that gross, trashy, early 2000's horror grime from it. Had a good laugh at this.
“The Walking Dead” is known for graphic violence and monster ratings, but the AMC hit rarely receives the attention it deserves for delivering some of the smallscreen’s most well-crafted images. Whether that means a zombie horde descending on human prey or a quiet emotional beat shared between battle-weary survivors, much of the series’ epic storyline is communicated through elegant visuals
loooooooooool ok bud.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/spotlight/wa ... 201510920/

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 am

Se7en wrote: Regardless, the 16mm isn't doing anyone any favors. Hard to shake that gross, trashy, early 2000's horror grime from it. Had a good laugh at this.
The 16mm is gross, no doubt about it, but it's more than just that. There's minimal effort to frame or light any of the shots in new or interesting ways. It's all just "put the camera anywhere as long as the actor is in frame" or mid range shots which honestly just gives the show a soap opera look, despite the fact it's film stock. The only somewhat striking image that comes to mind right now is when Negan was backlit in his intro scene, but moments like that are so few and far between.

And I don't even want to know about those being deliberate aesthetic choices to ground it or make it gritty. Show's got fucking pet tigers and Thunderdome zombies and pantomime villains - they could pretty much go as stylized as they like.
Se7en wrote:
“The Walking Dead” is known for graphic violence and monster ratings, but the AMC hit rarely receives the attention it deserves for delivering some of the smallscreen’s most well-crafted images. Whether that means a zombie horde descending on human prey or a quiet emotional beat shared between battle-weary survivors, much of the series’ epic storyline is communicated through elegant visuals
loooooooooool ok bud.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/spotlight/wa ... 201510920/
lol yeah no

All I ever hear from anyone who works on this show is what a fantastic job everyone is doing and how they all give it 110%. If only that could be translated to the screen, huh?

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 am

Atmosphere wrote: The 16mm is gross, no doubt about it, but it's more than just that. There's minimal effort to frame or light any of the shots in new or interesting ways. It's all just "put the camera anywhere as long as the actor is in frame" or mid range shots which honestly just gives the show a soap opera look, despite the fact it's film stock. The only somewhat striking image that comes to mind right now is when Negan was backlit in his intro scene, but moments like that are so few and far between.
Yep! Like look at this shit

It's like they just point the camera in the general area of where shit is happening. The only time I've noticed them get inventive is when working around swarms of zombies in concentrated areas.
Atmosphere wrote:And I don't even want to know about those being deliberate aesthetic choices to ground it or make it gritty. Show's got fucking pet tigers and Thunderdome zombies and pantomime villains - they could pretty much go as stylized as they like.
Modern naturalism for you. Everything has to look, sound, and feel real, no matter if the content necessitates it. If you notice the style, if it looks pretty, it must be pretentious! Forgetting that something doesn't have to look pretty to be formally competent.

Idk why really tho. I have noticed that a lot of horror enthusiasts - and there are a lot who work on the show - do want that down and dirty feel to it. It's the same logic that has people holding onto their VHS/DVD's of TCM for the authentic snuff feel. Kinda dumb, but I get it.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 am

That's weird did some post get deleted the other day?

I had made a post about who the bad guys were suppose to be after last episode? The old granny seemed to be the only reasonable person actually. Rick "Fight with us or give us all your guns or we kill you and take all of your guns anyways". Really? Where is the voice of reason in the survivor group? As cool as the Pirate of the Caribbean Walkers were would they have even come to the camp without the explosions? But they killed them all and gain some trust so I guess that works.

I think I'm making that turn to the cynical dark side against this show. Come on season finale!

Oh and then there was this :roll:

_Blakelock_
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by _Blakelock_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am

TexasSnacks wrote:That's weird did some post get deleted the other day?

I had made a post about who the bad guys were suppose to be after last episode? The old granny seemed to be the only reasonable person actually. Rick "Fight with us or give us all your guns or we kill you and take all of your guns anyways". Really? Where is the voice of reason in the survivor group? As cool as the Pirate of the Caribbean Walkers were would they have even come to the camp without the explosions? But they killed them all and gain some trust so I guess that works.

I think I'm making that turn to the cynical dark side against this show. Come on season finale!

Wait...is he aiming on the eyepatch side? :lol:

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 am

_Blakelock_ wrote:
TexasSnacks wrote:That's weird did some post get deleted the other day?

Wait...is he aiming on the eyepatch side? :lol:
Yup. Normally I wouldn't care or pick things a part like that with shows I am really into but like I've said before this season is getting to me and not in a good way. :x

Heretic
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Heretic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 am

_Blakelock_ wrote: Wait...is he aiming on the eyepatch side? :lol:

Pffft...

I'll admit, I didn't catch that one. Wow.

Heretic
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Heretic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Didn't catch this one either...

Fucks given by show = 0

Atmosphere
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Atmosphere » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm

TexasSnacks wrote:Oh and then there was this :roll:
:lol:

Oh boy! Why didn't I spot this?

The level of ineptitude this season is really quite staggering for a hit show. It's boring even complaining about it, but each week that goes by I'm left surprised by the new lows so there's no other response. The thing that worries me going forward is that TWD has always had weak spots yet they weren't a complete hindrance as to write off the show for good, but this season really feels like the point of no return. Unless they're prepared to do a complete overhaul in the creative/writing team then I fear that this is the quality we're going to get for the foreseeable future. These fools just straight up don't care anymore.

_Blakelock_
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by _Blakelock_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Heretic wrote:Didn't catch this one either...

Fucks given by show = 0
Christ....