STFilmmaker
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Re: Stephen King Appreciation Thread

Post by STFilmmaker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am

Mayday wrote:
Midnight-Kroovy wrote:They have turned The Mist into a TV series now;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kya_uqiSQOY

I thought the movie was fantastic but I've never read the story. How faithful was the movie to the novella? Does it need a TV show?
The movie was generally faithful to the book, with the great big whopping exception being the novella did not end any way close to how the totally fucked up stupid ending of the movie was. In fact, the book ends with possibilities a long-running TV show could explore nicely.
You really should read the story. Although Salem's Lot is my fave novel by King, The Mist is my favorite story overall that he's written. Even with the parts they got completely right, it still blows the film away.
From what I've heard King liked the movie ending more than his ending. It was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Apparently Mist isn't the only one. Hulu is doing a Castle Rock TV series, where each episode or season adapts a book or short story.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:25 am

Anyone read Insomnia?

I'm half way through but have kind of stopped as it's getting to be a bit out there and a tad boring.

Should I keep going with it?

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 pm

gunsrazorsknives wrote:Anyone read Insomnia?

I'm half way through but have kind of stopped as it's getting to be a bit out there and a tad boring.

Insomnia is one of my fave books of his. Yeah, it drags a bit midway through, but I think it's worth finishing. It's definitely a different kind of story.

STFilmmaker
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by STFilmmaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 am

gunsrazorsknives wrote:Anyone read Insomnia?

I would say finish what you started. It took me a couple of months to get through Doctor Sleep, but it was worth it.

gunsrazorsknives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by gunsrazorsknives » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 am

Yeah I'll definitely finish Insomnia. It's good so far except for the midsection that I'm currently bogged down in.

Glass Eater
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Glass Eater » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I just finished this. I am very new to reading horror (let alone Stephen King). So far in King's library I've only read IT, Pet Semetary and Gerald's Game.

Gerald's Game is the first book to actually freak me the fuck out. Yes IT disturbed me, and Pet Semetary was super cool and creepy but my god this book blew me away.

I started reading it because it's coming out as a Netflix movie this year, and it's going to be one hell of a horrifying movie if they pull it off correctly. Seriously, this book is horror at it's darkest core. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend so.

gwally
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by gwally » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

Glass Eater wrote:I just finished this. I am very new to reading horror (let alone Stephen King). So far in King's library I've only read IT, Pet Semetary and Gerald's Game.

Gerald's Game is the first book to actually freak me the fuck out. Yes IT disturbed me, and Pet Semetary was super cool and creepy but my god this book blew me away.

I started reading it because it's coming out as a Netflix movie this year, and it's going to be one hell of a horrifying movie if they pull it off correctly. Seriously, this book is horror at it's darkest core. If you haven't read it, I strongly recommend so.
Gerald's Game was seriously out there. I would suggest Dolores Claiborne as a follow-up as there is a link between the two. I would have liked to have known this back when I was reading them.

Glass Eater
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Glass Eater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 am

gwally wrote:
Glass Eater wrote:I just finished this. I am very new to reading horror (let alone Stephen King). So far in King's library I've only read IT, Pet Semetary and Gerald's Game.

Gerald's Game was seriously out there. I would suggest Dolores Claiborne as a follow-up as there is a link between the two. I would have liked to have known this back when I was reading them.
Whoa, thanks!

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

gwally wrote:

I can't agree with y'all on those two. Gerald's Game was OK, but nothing great to me, and Deloris Claiborne is, IMO, one of King's worst books. I think he hit a creative low in the 90s, with many of his sub-par works coming during that period.

Glass Eater
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Glass Eater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Mayday wrote:
gwally wrote:

I can't agree with y'all on those two. Gerald's Game was OK, but nothing great to me, and Deloris Claiborne is, IMO, one of King's worst books. I think he hit a creative low in the 90s, with many of his sub-par works coming during that period.
I get it, between the books​ I've read I've easily enjoyed Pet Semetary and IT more than Gerald's Game. As far as what book has actually scared me the most GG takes the cake.

There was too much shit in there that hit my buttons. Therefore I won't forget it, and I do believe it's underrated.