What Book Did You Last Read?

Some of us really do know how to read!
nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: What Book Did You Last Read?

Post by nancylives! » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 am

re-read peter benchley's very entertaining book, beast, all but thirty or forty pages read on the beach. i've always been a fan of this book, and it holds up nicely. benchley is an excellent writer, and he fully applies himself to this b-movie yarn. lots in common with jaws, of course, but squids aint sharks. too bad whip darling never met quint. good beachy fun.

2017 song draft

cry
habits
wishing
divorce song
96 tears
outta me
theme
one more hour
one more minute
this woman's work

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Dark Melody of Madness - The Supernatural Novellas of Cornell Woolrich. Four tales by Cornell Woolrich who wrote, among other things, horror stories in the 30s that tend to be a cross of horror and hard-boiled pulp stories. They were pretty solid tales ranging from vampiric to death cult to Frankenstein-ish to Voodoo. I would recommend giving him a try if you're into that sort of thing.

Glass Eater
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Glass Eater » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 am

Just finished for the first time. Pretty cool, I'll see the movie when it comes out.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:43 am

Into the Water - Paula Hawkins. The follow-up novel to "The Girl on the Train", this book is heads above that one. Although the narrative is a bit hard to follow in the early going, as the perspective keeps changing between several characters, the story is intriguing and full of unexpected twists and turns.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 am

been gettin my spidey on...

great series from the mid-seventies. profoundly under-appreciated art from ross andru.

pretty solid collection, but not a single story from jr?

classic sixties spidey, hanging with mj, gwen, harry, and flash, and getting used to be a grown-up. awesome work from stan lee and john romita.
2017 song draft

cry
habits
wishing
divorce song
96 tears
outta me
theme
one more hour
one more minute
this woman's work

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:07 pm

The Gods of H.P. Lovecraft - Edited by Aaron J. French. A collection of Lovecraftian stories, with each one related specifically to one god or race of beings. One of the better of these collections I've read in awhile, as it actually featured a number of accomplished horror authors, like Joe Landsale, Bentley Little and James A. Moore, and not some self-publishing ebook hacks. If you like Lovecraft, this one is worth checking out.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

The Signal - Ron Carlson. Some kind of modern Americana novel. Can't say as I was all the impressed by it.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:09 am

The Circle - David Eggers. A dystopian cautionary tale about society's obsession with full disclosure and transparency on the Internet, and technology corporate monopolies. For the most part it's a very different and interesting story and scenario. One that was hacked up too much in the film version. With the exception of the ending which was rushed and not consistent with the rest of the tale. The movie had a more Hollywood-ized ending, but it was a better one than the novel.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:14 pm

End of Watch - Stephen King. The conclusion to the "Bill Hodges Trilogy", and by the far the best book in the series. This was the first one in which I felt the characters had been given any depth.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Camino Island - John Grisham. A light read, and a but atypical of Grisham's usual fare. It was light and quick and reasonably entertaining, but one of his weaker novels.