What Book Did You Last Read?

Some of us really do know how to read!
Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: What Book Did You Last Read?

Post by Mayday » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter. What starts off as a seemingly standard thriller quickly escalates into a really twisted, dark tale that goes in very unexpected places. This tale really caught me off guard several times. I thought Slaughter might be one of those generic thriller authors, but after reading this one, I'm definitely going to check out more of her work.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:29 am

i had the great pleasure of reading riley sager's wonderful final girls. quincy carpenter is a survivor, a survivor of a massacre perpetrated by a knife-wielding psychopath while on a boozy vacation with a bunch of other teenagers. turns out she's not alone. other women have been through harrowing experiences with their own slashers, and the elder final girl of the trio reaches out to her younger counterparts to offer solace, understanding, and membership in their strange, tragic shared club. sager does an expert job of very matter-of-factly crafting a world where masked nut job-based blood baths are not uncommon occurrences, and, in doing so fully explores the aftermath of these events on the survivors. think alice at the beginning of friday the 13th part 2, living in self-imposed isolation, drawing therapeutically, plagued by nightmares, remembrances of what she's experienced and what she's lost. sager decides to take this deeper look at quincy's life ten years after the pine cottage massacre. she seems fine, but is she? sager is does a really effective job of exploring quincy;s life and behavior, as well as the trauma that has shaped--redirected--her entire life. and when one of the other final girls shows up at her doorstep, things start to get interesting. what really happened all those years ago at pine cottage? what's really happening now? i give sager great credit: in writing an engaging, empowering, intricate novel, he also manages to deliver an ending filled with some legitimate plot twists, twists that use more cliched and identifiable twists to their advantage. at the end, i smiled and let out a boisterous "hell yeah!" very satisfying. and while final girls primarily springboards off the literal definition--last woman standing in a bloodbath--it at times plays very smartly with these cinematic tropes, while also inviting carol clover's deeper analysis of the final girl, not simply as a survivor, but as an avatar for redefined and inverted gender identification. great novel.

horror draft 2017

1. eaten alive
2. ava's possessions
3. starry eyes
4. attack the block
5. xx
6. transfiguration
7. leviathan
8. phenomena

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 am

Final Girls - Riley Sager. I also just read this book. However, I have a different opinion than nancylives on the subject. I thought the concept was great, and the books started out well. But as it went along the writing just became trite and shallow and never really lived up to the promises it made early on. The main character knowingly just made stupider and stupider decisions, and there were too many ridiculous plot twists, most of which weren't the least bit surprising. It was an OK read, but was more like one of those cheaper knock-off slasher films than the better classic ones.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Mayday wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 am

Final Girls - Riley Sager. I also just read this book. However, I have a different opinion than nancylives on the subject. I thought the concept was great, and the books started out well. But as it went along the writing just became trite and shallow and never really lived up to the promises it made early on. The main character knowingly just made stupider and stupider decisions, and there were too many ridiculous plot twists, most of which weren't the least bit surprising. It was an OK read, but was more like one of those cheaper knock-off slasher films than the better classic ones.
i guess great minds don't think alike... ;)
horror draft 2017

1. eaten alive
2. ava's possessions
3. starry eyes
4. attack the block
5. xx
6. transfiguration
7. leviathan
8. phenomena

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:47 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:35 pm
i guess great minds don't think alike... ;)
Not all the time. :mrgreen:

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 am

Th1rteen R3asons Why - Jay Asher. The novel upon which the show was based had advantages and disadvantages. The book takes place over the course of one day with Clay listening to the tapes all the way through, so it's a much quicker read without all the added (and at times ridiculous) drama of the TV show, and without repeating several scenes over and over. On the other hand, with the book being so short, it only scratches the surface of why each character affected Hannah. In that way, it was a somewhat shallow story, which the show does a (mostly) nice job of fleshing out all the characters and story lines and giving more legitimacy to Hannah's severe downturn. If there were someway to find the happy medium between the overly long series and the not long enough book, it would be fantastic.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:02 pm

just finished slavemakers by joseph wallace, the sequel to his invasive species, about wasps that take over the planet. whereas the first book introduces us to the wasps, called thieves, and explores their takeover of the planet, slavemakers picks up twenty years later well into the thieves dominion. i really liked this book. wallace is an excellent writer, and explores the co-evolution of the thieves and humans, and what it means going forward. this was a thoughtful book, patient and inward. i hope wallace continues to develop and explore this world; it had a mild dune-esque vibe.

horror draft 2017

1. eaten alive
2. ava's possessions
3. starry eyes
4. attack the block
5. xx
6. transfiguration
7. leviathan
8. phenomena

Yoxodo
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Yoxodo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:38 am

Written before Lumley truly hit his stride with Necroscope, this novel of cosmic Lovecraftian horror features Ithaqua The Wind-Walker as the primary antagonist, and it shows the icy beast just a little too much for my taste. Ithaqua should be in the background, looming in the hoary wastes, not standing atop pyramids shaking his fist at our heroes. Still, Lumley's expert prose is on full display here, and this book will not disappoint anyone looking for a good hearty romp through space and time.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Bad Luck and Trouble - Lee Child. When one of his former Army MP buddies turns up dead, Jack Reacher joins with several of his other former MP cohorts to find out what happened and uncover something more far reaching than they ever imagined. I think this is my favorite Reacher book by far of the 11 I've read.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Since We Fell - Dennis Lehane. A somewhat different kind of thriller from Lehane. It starts off with setting the background and developing the main character for such a long time, that around the midway point of the story had to start skimming, as there was a lot of detail about nothing, and nothing all that spectacular going on. However, in the last 30%-ish of the book, shit got real, and got realer faster and faster. Once the big twists start coming, the story chugs forward at breakneck speed. It ended up being very exciting, although the excitement became ridiculous to a point and really required some purposeful willing suspension of disbelief to finish the story. Definitely not on par with Lehane's fantastic Kenzie-Genarro series, but overall a solid book.