What Book Did You Last Read?

Some of us really do know how to read!
Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: What Book Did You Last Read?

Post by Sea Hag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:48 am

And I'm in the middle of reading 'The Shining". I had a smile plastered to my face pretty much the entire time I was reading "Ready Player One".

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm

The Western Star - Craig Johnson. This may be my favorite Longmire book to date. It was a terrific mystery told in alternating sections of the past as well as current time. My only real contentions were the solution to the mystery was kind of anticlimactic, and it ended with a cliffhanger. The good news is, there's definitely another book in the works, but it sucks to have to wait however long until it's published to find out where the story goes.

Mr. Bill
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Mr. Bill » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:06 am

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 am

re-read the delightful island of the sequined love nun by christopher moore. another zany yet humanizing tale about hitting rock bottom and then pulling oneself up. tucker case wrecks a plane while gettin it on whilst flying, and finds the only piloting job available to him is for some shady customers on a little-known micronesian island. cannibals, fruit bats, false deities, organ theft, ghosts, and, or course, redemption are all on tap in another winning effort from moore.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:24 pm

You're Never Weird on the Interenet (almost) - Felicia Day. Probably the best autobiography I've read. It's hilariously funny and eye-opening to the amazing background and history Felicia had.

kellyon
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by kellyon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 am

Eat that Frog! by Brian Tracy

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Dark Places - Gillian Flynn. The second of Flynn's novels to date, it was her patented dark, pessimistic story full of damaged characters who end up in an expertly crafted twisted plot full of unexpected turns. Not quite as good as Gone Girl, but better than Sharp Objects, and thankfully much, much better than the mediocre movie version.

Jannath
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Jannath » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:55 am

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
These are just a few books that I have read recently.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

just finished re-reading my favorite michael slade book, ghoul. utterly off the rails, ruthlessly--and creatively--violent, and filled with memorable characters and loving horror references, ghoul is a delightfully twisty tale of insane psychosis. and the cover of the paperback, which is what led me to selecting it at a used bookstore in costa rica some 25 years ago, is one of my all-time favorites.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 pm

The Sinner - Petra Hammesfahr. The recent TV mini-series that starred Jessica Biel took an interesting but highly flawed novel and made it into a much better full-of-twists show. The main character in the book just wasn't very believable in her motivations or thoughts, and after a long build up of a story that was hiding something, the story rushed through the complex explanation in a few pages. The TV series expanded it, changed details, and made it so much better. The novel was OK, but the adaptation was terrific.