Southern Gothic?

Some of us really do know how to read!
Hirsuit
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Southern Gothic?

Post by Hirsuit » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:40 pm

SOUTHERN GOTHIC: a subgenre of the Gothic (which tends to be historically metaphorical anyway) pertaining specifically to the unsettling historical characteristics of the American South (slavery, the Civil War, racism, poverty...all Gothically rendered)

So what is anyone's favorite work of the Southern Gothic? This can include either literature or film.

Examples of literature: works by William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers, Anne Rice, Cormac McCarthy, Davis Grubb...

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Re: Southern Gothic?

Post by Mayday » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Anne Rice's The Witching Hour was pretty solid. I remember it being too long and full of some annoying sections, but overall was spectacularly Southern Gothic.
Ronald Malfi has some stories that I think would qualify, and his writing is superb.
Douglas Preston's & Lincoln Child's Agent Pendergast series includes some good entries in that area.

Willowfang
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Willowfang » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:49 pm

American Gothic TV series, such a shame it only lasted one season, it was really good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111880/?ref_=nv_sr_3
It was the cow...

vampiremcmuffin
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by vampiremcmuffin » Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm

I am a huge Anne Rice fan. While I don't see all of her works being southern gothic per se, certain novels of hers like Interview With The Vampire, Mayfair Witches, Blackwood Farm and a few others would most certainly qualify.

When I was in college I had to read a short story by William Faulkner that was pretty cool. I forget the title but it was about an old woman who died and while people are at her funeral they are sharing stories about her life.