Favorite Horror Authors

Some of us really do know how to read!
Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Favorite Horror Authors

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 am

Hey Boys and Ghouls,

Who are some of your favorite horror authors?

Some of the authors I've always liked are Richard Laymon, John Saul, Stephen King, Ed Lee, James Herbert, Dan Simmons, Bentley Little, Thomas Tessier, Simon Clark, Tom Piccirilli, Richard McCammon to name some.

How about you? Are there authors that you highly recommend and if so, what titles?

I collect both signed hardcover and paperbacks and have a fairly large book collection.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: Favorite Horror Authors

Post by nancylives! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:44 pm

ronald malfi: anything, december park, little girls, the narrows, night parade
joe lansdale: anything, the drive-in novels, ned the seal, deadman's road
joe hill: heart-shaped box, nos4a2, horns, 20th century ghosts
caitlin kiernan: the drowning girl, murder of angels
nick cutter: the troop, the deep
gregory lamberson: black creek, carnage road
d. nathan hilliard: spiderstalk, dead stop, night walk
michael slade: ghoul, headhunter, ripper
ray bradbury: anything, something wicked this way comes
richard matheson: anything, especially short stories, i legend, the incredible shrinking man

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Stephen King
Brian Lumley
James Herbert
H.P. Lovecraft
Simon Clark
Ronald Malfi
Douglas Clegg
Michael Slade
F. Paul Wilson
David Wong
Joe Hill
Robert Jackson Bennett
John Connolly
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Peter Clines
Steve Alten
Andrew Pyper
Paul Tremblay
Brian Keene
Stephen Laws
Graham Masterton
Peter Straub
Sarah Pinborough
Bentley Little
Mark Morris
Richard Matheson
Michael Marshall
Dan Simmons
Ramsey Campbell
Robert McCammon
Tim Lebbon
Gary A. Braunbeck
Charles Grant
Clive Barker
Anne Rice
Tamara Thorne
Michael West
Jack Ketchum
Phil Rickman

Too many authors and books to post all my likes and recs here. If anyone wants specifics about an author, PM me or post here and I'll respond.

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Mayday wrote:Stephen King
Brian Lumley
James Herbert
H.P. Lovecraft
Simon Clark
Ronald Malfi
Douglas Clegg
Michael Slade
F. Paul Wilson
David Wong
Joe Hill
Robert Jackson Bennett
John Connolly
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
Peter Clines
Steve Alten
Andrew Pyper
Paul Tremblay
Brian Keene
Stephen Laws
Graham Masterton
Peter Straub
Sarah Pinborough
Bentley Little
Mark Morris
Richard Matheson
Michael Marshall
Dan Simmons
Ramsey Campbell
Robert McCammon
Tim Lebbon
Gary A. Braunbeck
Charles Grant
Clive Barker
Anne Rice
Tamara Thorne
Michael West
Jack Ketchum
Phil Rickman

Too many authors and books to post all my likes and recs here. If anyone wants specifics about an author, PM me or post here and I'll respond.
If possible could you rec me horror novels that are;
Road story e.g Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Survival or home invasion e.g Off Season by Jack Ketchum, Seige on trenchers farm, Cujo, Midnight's Lair by Richard Laymon
Hixploitation - Backwoods/Deliverance style
Dark sixties/seventies Americana, hippy killers etc. e.g Killer on the Road by James Ellroy

minus Stephen King, Joe Hill, Dean Koontz, Jack Ketchum as I know their stuff.

Or recs in that ballpark that you think I might like. Hope this isn't too difficult! :oops:

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote: If possible could you rec me horror novels that are;
Survival or home invasion e.g Off Season by Jack Ketchum, Seige on trenchers farm, Cujo, Midnight's Lair by Richard Laymon
Dark sixties/seventies Americana, hippy killers etc. e.g Killer on the Road by James Ellroy

Or recs in that ballpark that you think I might like. Hope this isn't too difficult! :oops:
Let me look over my book lists (which I own/have read several 100s) and I will see what I can come up with in those categories.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Mayday wrote:

OK, so here's a few off the bat I've found in my collection that may fit your wish list:
Robert Jackson Bennett - Mr. Shivers - Kind of a road story that takes place during the Dust Bowl era. This book was quite different than that typical horror, and it blew me away. Bennett has a very unique voice.
Charles Grant - Jackals - A road trip-ish, survival story. If you can find it, Grant is worth a read.
Scott Nicholson - They Hunger - A modern day Deliverance/survival kind of story. My least fave of the Nicholson books I've thus far read, but might be up your alley. Nicholson isn't exactly Southern Gothic, but he writes a lot about the backwoods of North Carolina, so you may want to check out other stuff by him too.
Robert McCammon - Gone South - Again, not a book I really enjoyed, but is a 70s road trip kind of story.

I'll try looking deeper to see if I can find more, but for the most part I think the books/authors you referenced are the ones I've also read in those categories.

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Mayday wrote:
Mayday wrote:

OK, so here's a few off the bat I've found in my collection that may fit your wish list:
Robert Jackson Bennett - Mr. Shivers - Kind of a road story that takes place during the Dust Bowl era. This book was quite different than that typical horror, and it blew me away. Bennett has a very unique voice.
Charles Grant - Jackals - A road trip-ish, survival story. If you can find it, Grant is worth a read.
Scott Nicholson - They Hunger - A modern day Deliverance/survival kind of story. My least fave of the Nicholson books I've thus far read, but might be up your alley. Nicholson isn't exactly Southern Gothic, but he writes a lot about the backwoods of North Carolina, so you may want to check out other stuff by him too.
Robert McCammon - Gone South - Again, not a book I really enjoyed, but is a 70s road trip kind of story.

I'll try looking deeper to see if I can find more, but for the most part I think the books/authors you referenced are the ones I've also read in those categories.
Thanks for this! All four of those look interesting.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:24 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote:
Mayday wrote:
Mayday wrote:

Thanks for this! All four of those look interesting.
Yes, thanks. Very cool. I already have 3 out of 4 of these but haven't read them yet. I know when I read the synopsis to Mr. Shivers that I HAD to buy it. Found Jackals a few years ago as well as Gone South. The only one I don't have is They Hunger by Scott Nicholson.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Happy reading, and I'll keep checking my books to see if any others are in those sub-genres.
If you think of any other types of recs, as you noticed, I have read tons of authors so have lots of reading experience to share.

aaronmb
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by aaronmb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:48 am

I started with Richard Laymon,Edward Lee, Bryan Smith, and Wrath James White
Huge fan of Tim Miller

I kind of want to recommend Jon Athan, as the books I've read have been Friday the 13th, TCM ripoffs, though he calls them tributes.