The Official Dark Tower discussion thread

Some of us really do know how to read!
Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

The Official Dark Tower discussion thread

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:42 am

Hey guys, Made this place so we have somewhere to talk about all things to do with the dark tower. Any fans i think would agree that it does warrant it's own thread because of how big it is. so what do we have so far? the books of course, comics and the movies/tv shows they are planning and seem to be getting further to getting it done. It's been a slow process for me because i'm such a slow reader and easily distracted so i've upto the 5th book Wolves of the Calla and i'm currently reading the comics so i'm not the go to guy for answers but i'm getting hooked again and can't wait for what will become.

AxeBallChainDude
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Re: The Official Dark Tower discussion thread

Post by AxeBallChainDude » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:16 pm

I'm sad that this thread has received no love so far. I'm a big fan of the book series and the comics I've read so far are fantastic. I've read through all the books and up through the first story arc collection of the comics. I had been reading the comics in the hard cover collections and last read The Journey Begins collection. Fantastic comics with great art and great story. They feel like the books did and serve as a way to fill in the gaps left by the books.

Sutter
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Sutter » Thu May 19, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm a huge Dark Tower fanatic. I've read the whole series several times and will probably start reading them again since the first film is in production right now. The Gunslinger is my favorite book out of the series, mostly due to how mysterious Roland and The
Man in Black are. Is anyone excited about the upcoming film? Stephen King just posted a picture on Twitter, giving a clue about how this adaptation might actually be a sequel to the books instead.
Enter...

The Horror Corridor
Under Construction
http://www.facebook.com/thehorrorcorridor

AxeBallChainDude
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by AxeBallChainDude » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:28 pm

I don't know anything about the movie coming out, but I would probably prefer it be a sequel to the existing content rather then a retelling. I love the world that it all takes place in so I would welcome a continuation.

boingovision
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by boingovision » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:21 pm

I agree that the lack of posts in this thread is surprising.

Love the books and have read them for many years. Any visual adaptation is a BAD IDEA in my opinion. I'm not against artistic ambition but this series is so dense with complex ideas and layered characters, this doesn't lend itself to film or miniseries treatment. We'll just be disappointed if this gets a green light.

Just let it go. The books are good enough.

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:52 am

Well the time has passed and its going forward as we speak even with some leaked/released photos of Elba as Roland which is causing some controversy among fans and yes it is due to his colour, but its not your Typical "i dont want a BLACK Roland" it goes straight to one of the other characters Suzanna/Detta/Odetta who is black and does not trust the white Roland. Its more of a How will they do this? because there is a rather important plot point about it in Drawing of the Three. Any thoughts of this so far?

Formaldehide&Seek
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Formaldehide&Seek » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 am

Hey guys

Like I've said before i'm a very slow reader but i've started to pick up on that a bit and i've decided to re-start the Dark Tower Series as i first started reading in 2008 and to date im only half way through Wolves of the Calla and i've forgotten a lot of what has already happened so i'v starting scratch with the gunslingers and powering through to refresh myself.

Jpantalleresco
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Jpantalleresco » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:25 pm

A series I wished I still owned. One of my personal goals is to get all the books in their original hardcovers. Just a beautifully told tale. Wizard and Glass is still my favorite of the books. The Dark Tower, the final book is my second. I just loved when you really got to explore what made Roland find his humanity again. Still my favorite of king's stuff.

The Bear Jew
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by The Bear Jew » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Atrocious casting and a basic "fuck the original books" concept has left a bitter taste in my mouth on this project. As of right now I could care less ( and I love the novels)

Psychenous
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by Psychenous » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:00 pm

I like the idea of it being a sequel because that will cover and redeem any inaccuracies and vagaries in the adaptation. Given the ending to The Dark Tower I think it is possible that Roland could come out black since other subtle things had changed as well. However, as mentioned above it does pose some problems for Drawing of the Three when Susannah is brought in.

I'll give the film a watch for sure. Until more news comes out I can't say anymore about how I feel.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula