FANGORIA R.I.P. 1979-2015

Some of us really do know how to read!
sweetviolenturge1013
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

FANGORIA R.I.P. 1979-2015

Post by sweetviolenturge1013 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:50 pm

I realize that there's already a thread by a gentleman named Thor on here regarding Fango, but rather than respond to it, I thought this might get his & other folks attention a bit quicker.
As some of you may be aware, there hasn't been an issue published since issue #344 which hit the stands back in October. And, it looks as if that may very well have been the final issue. Which, is sad to see as I've been a reader/collector ever since I was a wee lad of just 17 way back in the summer of 1979 when I bought issue #1. Never missed a single issue.
Nothing official has been announced yet & apparently they sent out a notice via e-mail to subscribers that they were supposedly sending out #345 to the printers. But that was about a month ago & no one has received said issue in the mail nor has it appeared in any stores.
Then, I just heard from Tom Weaver & some other folks "in the know" over on the Classic Horror Film Board forums that the individual who now owns the magazine is now employed at a Home Depot store.
So, I think it's safe to say that ol' Fango is dead as a print publication.

I suppose I should have seen the writing on the wall when Chris Alexander left as it's editor to head up the Shock Till You Drop website.
The magazine had reached a point about 2004 or so where it's content was really so crappy that I pretty much stopped reading it for the most part & just continued to buy it out of habit to keep up my complete collection. And it remained as such until Chris was hired.
Under him, the magazine began to thrive again & I began to read it cover to cover like I used to during it's heyday back in the '80s.
But, like all print publications, the cover price kept rising while the readership fell off...

I'm sad to see it end, but it had a hell of a run.
And who knows, a resurrection could occur somewhere down the line.
But, I doubt it.
Twelve bucks is a lot to pay for a magazine, especially when it's target audience would likely rather spend that $11.99 on a movie ticket or put it toward a Blu-Ray. Hell, there were plenty of months when I groaned about spending that much on it.
Guess I won't have to worry about it anymore, though.

Heretic
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: FANGORIA R.I.P. 1979-2015

Post by Heretic » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Fun fact, the forums of Fangoria.com and Bloody-Disgusting.com were at constant war with each other.

Those were the days...

Geek II
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Geek II » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Heretic wrote:Fun fact, the forums of Fangoria.com and Bloody-Disgusting.com were at constant war with each other.

Those were the days...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember that! Oh shit those were the days indeed.

sweetviolenturge1013
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by sweetviolenturge1013 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:44 pm

Yeah, I vaguely recall that back in the days when they had forums.
Now, I can't even recall when they killed them off. It's been at least three or four years, I think.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 pm

i've been reading since issue 6. for all of their shenanigans, fangoria has been pretty consistently awesome, with only a few dips here and there. it would be a shame if it was no more. i was thinking they were just on a hiatus or something.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:06 pm

sweetviolenturge1013 wrote:Yeah, I vaguely recall that back in the days when they had forums.
Now, I can't even recall when they killed them off. It's been at least three or four years, I think.
been five years. the fango boards were my gateway to forums.

Mayday
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Mayday » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:05 pm

I read the Fango website a few years back around the same time I started regularly visiting B-D. At the time, Fango was one of the better horror sites out there. Then they totally revamped it. And totally fucked it up. Then they tried unfucking it. And fucked it up even more. By the third disastrous attempt, I deleted their bookmark and never looked again. Surprised they lasted this long, just because of how mediocre they became. Kinda sorry to see such an icon end, but it's been barely breathing for years.

Hammer Fanatic
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Hammer Fanatic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:07 am

This magazine is indeed dead. Michael Gingold, who worked for Fangoria for years, is now with Rue Morgue, and they fired their latest editor. I have every single issue, 1-344. What a damn shame.

The beginning of the end, IMO, was when they put Chris Alexander in charge as editor. All he did was put shit out that he was interested in, instead of putting out a decent mag that everybody could enjoy.

RIP Fangoria.

The only horror magazine I still buy is Horrorhound. I did buy Famous Monsters too, but they just ended with issue 288 (again.)