Connect with us

Editorials

Stabbing Our Way Into a Second ‘Scream 4’ Press Conference

Published

on

With anticipation building for the April 15th release of Dimension Films’ Scream 4 – the latest entry in the top-grossing slasher franchise after more than ten years of silence – B-D reporter Chris Eggertsen and a horde of other journalists crowded into a conference room at West Hollywood’s Mondrian Hotel this week to engage in a Q&A session with director Wes Craven, returning cast members Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox Arquette, and David Arquette, and new additions Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, and Anthony Anderson, to discuss their involvement in the massively-hyped new sequel.

Topics covered included the reasons behind revisiting the franchise after such a long absence, updating the rules and conventions of the series for a modern audience, and how the ill-fated town of Woodsboro has changed in the decade-and-a-half since the original massacre. See inside for the full report.
With the addition of a horde of fresh-faced young cast members, who in many ways echo the crop of self-aware young high school students featured in the original ‘Scream’, one could be forgiven for experiencing a slight sense of déjà vu when watching Dimension’s upcoming ‘Scream 4′, the belated third sequel in the iconic postmodern slasher franchise that’s finally being unleashed on April 15th. It was a sensation actually experienced by many of the original cast members as well, who recently gathered – along with their next-generation “doubles” and director Wes Craven – at Los Angeles’ Mondrian Hotel to discuss the heavily-anticipated new entry.

I think with the new cast coming to this, it was really interesting to see because they were kind of reflections of us when we first got there“, said Arquette, sitting with Craven and fellow returning cast members Neve Campbell and Courteney Cox Arquette. “It just really sort of [generated the same] electricity that I felt on the first film.

For her part, Campbell related a self-aware moment that she shared with Cox Arquette during the initial read-through with their younger cast-mates prior to the start of production.

Courtney and I looked at each other and we were like, `we could be their mothers!’” laughed the actress, looking just as radiant and beautiful as she did when we first laid eyes on her over a decade ago.

Grandmother!” remarked Cox Arquette in response, leaving the group of reporters seated before her to begin calculating the math in their own heads.

Of course, since the release of ‘Scream 3′ at the turn of the new millenium (now guess who’s feeling old?), there has inevitably arisen an entire new crop of horror franchises and sub-genres, not to mention a host of changes in both the culture at large and the technologies we use to navigate it. Craven, who at 71 years old keeps himself refreshingly up to date on how today’s young people both communicate and consume entertainment, spoke to the evolution of the culture since the last installment and how that factored into he and the Weinsteins’ decision to revisit the hugely successful franchise after so many years of being away.

[Bob Weinstein] originally told us I think after `Scream 3′ that there were not gonna be anymore for a long time. They didn’t want it to feel like we were just knocking `em out to make money“, said the soft-spoken Craven, as always exuding an aura of quiet grace and intelligence. “But I think at the end of the decade, there was a feeling that this was a perfect time to turn around and look at the first decade of the 21st century. It was quite distinctive from others. 9/11…that’s sort of hovering over things. And certainly the presence of the electronic media being brought down to the people, to the level where everybody is online. Everybody’s on Facebook, people are tweeting people all over the world all the time. That’s totally different [than it was].

…I have a step-daughter who’s 20 years old, [and] she’s watching movies on her computer or her phone“, he continued. “So the whole business, as you well know, is changing dramatically. And the way the fans follow the movies, and participate in the movies, and make their own movies…[it’s] profoundly different.

Campbell, now in her fourth outing as perennial victim Sidney Prescott, got back into character not by looking forward so much as delving into the past, taking time to revisit the first three films again prior to the start of production.

I had fun watching the films again before we started this, just to get a sense of it“, she told us. “It was really nice to see that they still hold up really well. But…it isn’t difficult to get into the character. With Sidney, it’s just like imagining her circumstances and doing it.

Cox Arquette found herself not only marveling at Craven’s predilection for staying connected to youth culture, but also at the way he’s been able to maintain a sense of what scares people after 40 years in the business.

He’s an amazing filmmaker…he is the master of this” she said. “And the way he directs Ghostface, it’s the most…the way he tilts his head, it’s so eerie! I don’t know, there’s something about Wes that’s just like a choreographer when it comes to Ghostface…he’s just a great director.

As for keeping the details of the new film a secret, Craven smartly recognized the need to balance preserving a sense of mystery with making fans of the franchise feel acknowledged and included in the process. To accomplish the latter goal, he maintained an active Twitter account during production.

We did everything from have contests [to win] posters [of] the film…to having contests where people would identify photographs of weird bugs that we took off of the set…when we were shooting at night, and all these strange bugs [were] falling out of the sky“, he said. “We just sort of kept the fans aware that we were filming, and that we knew they were out there. I have to say, it was very intriguing to see how quickly people answered [the tweets]…[it] made me realize even in the process of filming how different this reality was from even emails, you know? Just much, much quicker, and worldwide.

He was also diplomatic (damn it) in response to a question about the alleged sour grapes that arose between original screenwriter Kevin Williamson and the production after ‘Scream 3’ scribe Ehren Kruger was brought in for last-minute rewrites.

I think we’re all pleased with the way the script turned out“, he intoned. “It was a result of Kevin’s original master script, and Ehren did a decent amount of work on specific scenes and areas…and I wrote sections of the film myself. But it very much is Kevin’s concept and characters and situations and overarching framework for the film.

Following this uber-short Q&A session with the original ‘Scream’ crew, four new cast members – Emma Roberts, Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, and Anthony Anderson – took their place on the panel to discuss joining the storied franchise after years of being exposed to the films as moviegoers.

It’s an exciting thing to be a part of“, remarked Panettiere, who in the film plays Kirby Reed, the best friend of Roberts’ character who is essentially an updated version of Rose McGowan’s “Tatum” from the first movie. “It’s like a sequel, but at the same time a remake, but it’s a combination…it’s cleverly remembering where it comes from, the clichés, and really using them to our benefit and growing with the audience. Because as generations go on, they just get smarter and harder to scare, and all that stuff. So it’s a very cool movie, a fun thing to be a part of. I mean, who wouldn’t want to be in [a] `Scream’ [movie]? I thought, I was sitting on set and I was going, `Aren’t I supposed to be watching this movie? I don’t think I’m supposed to be here.’ I would never [have] imagine[d] myself on screen with Neve Campbell and screaming. It just doesn’t make sense.

Anderson, one of the loudest, most insatiable hams I’ve ever had the dubious pleasure of being confronted with, spoke to the surreal nature of being involved in ‘Scream 4’ (he plays the character of “Detective Anthony Perkins” – get it?) after having appeared in the third and fourth installments of the (initially) ‘Scream’-lampooning ‘Scary Movie’ series.

I’m a fan of the franchise. Actually, I was in another film that spoofed this franchise, and now I’m in this franchise. So that was that“, he acknowledged, before later admitting he hasn’t actually seen the movie yet: “I just found out who the killers were like 27 minutes ago, honestly. Because my script never had an ending to it. I don’t know if they didn’t trust me…the lines that I prepared the night before, when I got to set everything was different. That’s how I went to work. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one like that, but honestly, since I haven’t seen the film and my script never had the ending part of it, I didn’t know who the killers were until literally before [the] last roundtable discussion.

Emma Roberts, who won the lead role of Sidney’s teenage cousin Jill after Ashley Greene reportedly turned it down, talked rather generally (the name of the game at the practically worthless second panel discussion, which quickly devolved into an Anthony Anderson stand-up act) about what attracted her to the project – in a bit I’m only including because it was more or less the sole usable quote offered up the actress during the mercifully short 15-minute session.

I was a huge fan of the franchise, I’m a huge fan of Wes Craven, and I thought that the fact that he was coming back to direct this one meant it was gonna be good, and yeah, I love the part“, said Roberts. “I read the script, and it was an interesting role, and I’ve never done a horror movie, so why not?

At the far end of the panel from Roberts sat lost little Rory Culkin, who didn’t even attempt to compete with Anderson’s apparent personal mandate to dominate practically every second of the discussion. It was only near the very end that he was finally able to get a word in edgewise – and only after Roberts cheerily implored Anderson to give his fellow cast member an opportunity to speak.

He’s always a different person with different motives“, intoned Culkin, in response to a question about what makes Ghostface so scary. “You don’t really know why they’re doing this…it’s also weird because the whole town sort of celebrates this massacre that only happened like ten years earlier, so everyone in town is sort of twisted. It’s a pretty sick little town.

Therein lays one of the most interesting components of the new film, which heavily references the first installment in painting a picture of how the fictional town of Woodsboro has itself changed in the last ten years. While it would’ve been disingenuous of the filmmakers ‘not’ to have referenced the ’96 original in crafting the latest installment, there’s also the obvious risk of making viewers pine for the good ol’ days if they end up feeling significantly let down by this new entry. There’s no doubt the world has changed dramatically over the last decade, but thankfully some things – like the hypnotic allure of a good piece of filmmaking – don’t ever go out of style.

Editorials

‘Immaculate’ – A Companion Watch Guide to the Religious Horror Movie and Its Cinematic Influences

Published

on

The Devils - Immaculate companion guide
Pictured: 'The Devils' 1971

The religious horror movie Immaculate, starring Sydney Sweeney and directed by Michael Mohan, wears its horror influences on its sleeves. NEON’s new horror movie is now available on Digital and PVOD, making it easier to catch up with the buzzy title. If you’ve already seen Immaculate, this companion watch guide highlights horror movies to pair with it.

Sweeney stars in Immaculate as Cecilia, a woman of devout faith who is offered a fulfilling new role at an illustrious Italian convent. Cecilia’s warm welcome to the picture-perfect Italian countryside gets derailed soon enough when she discovers she’s become pregnant and realizes the convent harbors disturbing secrets.

From Will Bates’ gothic score to the filming locations and even shot compositions, Immaculate owes a lot to its cinematic influences. Mohan pulls from more than just religious horror, though. While Immaculate pays tribute to the classics, the horror movie surprises for the way it leans so heavily into Italian horror and New French Extremity. Let’s dig into many of the film’s most prominent horror influences with a companion watch guide.

Warning: Immaculate spoilers ahead.

Rosemary’s Baby

'Rosemary's Baby' - Is Paramount's 'Apartment 7A' a Secret Remake?! [Exclusive]

The mother of all pregnancy horror movies introduces Rosemary Woodhouse (Mia Farrow), an eager-to-please housewife who’s supportive of her husband, Guy, and thrilled he landed them a spot in the coveted Bramford apartment building. Guy proposes a romantic evening, which gives way to a hallucinogenic nightmare scenario that leaves Rosemary confused and pregnant. Rosemary’s suspicions and paranoia mount as she’s gaslit by everyone around her, all attempting to distract her from her deeply abnormal pregnancy. While Cecilia follows a similar emotional journey to Rosemary, from the confusion over her baby’s conception to being gaslit by those who claim to have her best interests in mind, Immaculate inverts the iconic final frame of Rosemary’s Baby to great effect.

The Exorcist

Dick Smith makeup The Exorcist

William Friedkin’s horror classic shook audiences to their core upon release in the ’70s, largely for its shocking imagery. A grim battle over faith is waged between demon Pazuzu and priests Damien Karras (Jason Miller) and Lankester Merrin (Max von Sydow). The battleground happens to be a 12-year-old, Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair), whose possessed form commits blasphemy often, including violently masturbating with a crucifix. Yet Friedkin captures the horrifying events with stunning cinematography; the emotional complexity and shot composition lend elegance to a film that counterbalances the horror. That balance between transgressive imagery and artful form permeates Immaculate as well.

Suspiria

Suspiria

Jessica Harper stars as Suzy Bannion, an American newcomer at a prestigious dance academy in Germany who uncovers a supernatural conspiracy amid a series of grisly murders. It’s a dance academy so disciplined in its art form that its students and faculty live their full time, spending nearly every waking hour there, including built-in meals and scheduled bedtimes. Like Suzy Bannion, Cecilia is a novitiate committed to learning her chosen trade, so much so that she travels to a foreign country to continue her training. Also, like Suzy, Cecilia quickly realizes the pristine façade of her new setting belies sinister secrets that mean her harm. 

What Have You Done to Solange?

What Have You Done to Solange

This 1972 Italian horror film follows a college professor who gets embroiled in a bizarre series of murders when his mistress, a student, witnesses one taking place. The professor starts his own investigation to discover what happened to the young woman, Solange. Sex, murder, and religion course through this Giallo’s veins, which features I Spit on Your Grave’s Camille Keaton as Solange. Immaculate director Michael Mohan revealed to The Wrap that he emulated director Massimo Dallamano’s techniques, particularly in a key scene that sees Cecilia alone in a crowded room of male superiors, all interrogating her on her immaculate status.

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times

In this Giallo, two sisters inherit their family’s castle that’s also cursed. When a dark-haired, red-robed woman begins killing people around them, the sisters begin to wonder if the castle’s mysterious curse has resurfaced. Director Emilio Miraglia infuses his Giallo with vibrant style, with the titular Red Queen instantly eye-catching in design. While the killer’s design and use of red no doubt played an influential role in some of Immaculate’s nightmare imagery, its biggest inspiration in Mohan’s film is its score. Immaculate pays tribute to The Red Queen Kills Seven Times through specific music cues.

The Vanishing

The Vanishing

Rex’s life is irrevocably changed when the love of his life is abducted from a rest stop. Three years later, he begins receiving letters from his girlfriend’s abductor. Director George Sluizer infuses his simple premise with bone-chilling dread and psychological terror as the kidnapper toys with Red. It builds to a harrowing finale you won’t forget; and neither did Mohan, who cited The Vanishing as an influence on Immaculate. Likely for its surprise closing moments, but mostly for the way Sluizer filmed from inside a coffin. 

The Other Hell

The Other Hell

This nunsploitation film begins where Immaculate ends: in the catacombs of a convent that leads to an underground laboratory. The Other Hell sees a priest investigating the seemingly paranormal activity surrounding the convent as possessed nuns get violent toward others. But is this a case of the Devil or simply nuns run amok? Immaculate opts to ground its horrors in reality, where The Other Hell leans into the supernatural, but the surprise lab setting beneath the holy grounds evokes the same sense of blasphemous shock. 

Inside

Inside 2007

During Immaculate‘s freakout climax, Cecilia sets the underground lab on fire with Father Sal Tedeschi (Álvaro Morte) locked inside. He manages to escape, though badly burned, and chases Cecilia through the catacombs. When Father Tedeschi catches Cecilia, he attempts to cut her baby out of her womb, and the stark imagery instantly calls Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury’s seminal French horror movie to mind. Like Tedeschi, Inside’s La Femme (Béatrice Dalle) will stop at nothing to get the baby, badly burned and all. 

Burial Ground

Burial Ground creepy kid

At first glance, this Italian zombie movie bears little resemblance to Immaculate. The plot sees an eclectic group forced to band together against a wave of undead, offering no shortage of zombie gore and wild character quirks. What connects them is the setting; both employed the Villa Parisi as a filming location. The Villa Parisi happens to be a prominent filming spot for Italian horror; also pair the new horror movie with Mario Bava’s A Bay of Blood or Blood for Dracula for additional boundary-pushing horror titles shot at the Villa Parisi.

The Devils

The Devils 1971 religious horror

The Devils was always intended to be incendiary. Horror, at its most depraved and sadistic, tends to make casual viewers uncomfortable. Ken Russell’s 1971 epic takes it to a whole new squeamish level with its nightmarish visuals steeped in some historical accuracy. There are the horror classics, like The Exorcist, and there are definitive transgressive horror cult classics. The Devils falls squarely in the latter, and Russell’s fearlessness in exploring taboos and wielding unholy imagery inspired Mohan’s approach to the escalating horror in Immaculate

Continue Reading