Connect with us

Editorials

Ten Most Horrifying Stephen King Villains in the Movies

Published

on

On Sunday, April 17th, B-D will be hosting a FEARnet (Channel 197 on Verizon FiOS, otherwise call 877-FEAR-247 to request FEARnet HD from your TV provider) marathon of five Stephen King moviesChristine (2pm), Sleepwalkers (4pm), Graveyard Shift (6pm), Thinner (8pm), and Silver Bullet (10pm) – and to celebrate reporter Chris Eggertsen has put together his list of the top ten cinematic monsters adapted from the novels, novellas, and short stories of the famed Master of Horror.

While much of King’s output has been disappointingly transferred from page to screen (cough, Dreamcatcher), there are luckily many examples of when it has worked, in those instances when Hollywood actually succeeded at giving terrifying flesh and blood presence to one of the author’s often bizarre evils.

See inside for the full list.

The word “monster” can mean many different things when uttered in a specific context, but considered in isolation it’s prone to drawing up images of more traditional sorts of beasts – vampires, and werewolves, and demons, and a host of other unearthly creatures that have sprung, chimera-like, from the darkest recesses of our human imaginations. But as we are all painfully aware, monsters in the real world tend to take on much more unassuming forms. The mailman. The Boy Scout leader. The quiet loner who lives across the street. Mother.

Stephen King understands both types of evils – the ordinary and the fanciful – which is part of why his stories have struck such a chord with the public since he first made the bestseller lists with Carrie back in 1974. He’s so good at what he does, in fact, that no matter what form his monsters take – whether they be of the fantastical (the vamps in ‘Salem’s Lot, the lycanthrope in Cycle of the Werewolf, the otherworldly creatures in The Mist) or of the mundane (the neighborhood dog in Cujo, the industrial laundry press machine in The Mangler, the ’58 Plymouth Fury in Christine) or of the just plain human varieties (Annie Wilkes in Misery, the tribal band of murderous children in Children of the Corn, the unassuming family man/serial killer in A Good Marriage) – he always manages to make them terrifying.

In the film adaptations of King’s books these monsters are often prone to losing much of their power on screen – often confirming the old adage that the scariest thing of all is what you don’t see (particularly when the filmmakers in question either a. don’t have the budget or b. simply lack the imagination to make what you do see appear all that convincing) – but in certain cases they’ve managed to work spectacularly well in making us fear that dark room down the hall…or the backseat of the car waiting silently in the parking lot…or maybe even the good friend we always thought we knew, but now we aren’t so sure. What are the best examples of these successful page-to-screen translations? There’s no way to come up with a definitive list – not everyone is scared of the same things, after all – but my own personal ten picks are below.

10. Film: It (1990)

Monster: Pennywise the Dancing Clown (Tim Curry)

While the more gruesome aspects of the novel had to be significantly toned down for the miniseries version, one element that still managed to provoke nightmares was “Pennywise the Dancing Clown”, the most oft-recurring incarnation of the eponymous evil force in King’s book. While as a kid I was absolutely horrified at the very thought of Tim Curry’s sadistic wisecracker, I have to admit that when I watch the film now he isn’t nearly as scary as I remember (in my opinion the actor’s performance is a little too campy to elicit real terror). Nevertheless, as a purely visual embodiment of the near-universal fear of clowns – just why some parents continue to hire them as performers at their children’s birthday parties I’ll never understand – Pennywise definitely merits a spot on the list.

“Storm drain” scene:

9. Film: 1408

Monster: Room 1408

“It’s an evil fucking room”, Sam Jackson’s Mr. Olin insists near the beginning of 1408, director Mikael Hafstrom’s slick adaptation of King’s short story. A bold statement indeed for an effects-driven Hollywood horror flick, and while it’s true that the movie is far too polished to truly succeed at getting under your skin, Hafstrom nevertheless manages to concoct some genuinely creepy imagery and potent jump scares to keep us thoroughly off-balance. In addition to the fact that Hafstrom so deftly builds up the room as an actual “character” in the early going, what makes the haunted suite such an effective villain is that it’s truly merciless, playing upon the psychology of Cusack’s character to the point of conjuring up a vision of his dead daughter, reducing him to tears as he holds her – and then turning her to ashes in his arms. Now that’s pretty damn cold.

“Window” Scene:

8. Film: Salem’s Lot (1979)

Monster: Kurt Barlow (Reggie Nalder)

As opposed to the suave and very human-looking version of Barlow (aka “the master vampire”) in King’s novel, in Tobe Hooper’s miniseries the character is presented as a speechless, almost demonic looking monster with enormous jagged fangs and glowing yellow eyes. As producer Richard Kobritz said at the time, the filmmakers were looking to the more grotesque Nosferatu version of the vampire instead of the sophisticated Lugosi-type that came later, and in that interpretation they succeeded. It’s hard to term Salem’s Lot a truly scary film – after all, it was run on broadcast television in the late `70s (though there is a feature-length version with added gore) – but Nalder’s vamp has more than a shade of Max Schreck’s near-animalistic Count Orlok in it, and the effective makeup no doubt gave a lot of kids nightmares back in the day.

“Meet Mr. Barlow”:

7. Film: Pet Sematary

Monster: Gage Creed (Miko Hughes)

Oh little Miko Hughes, where have ye gone? Making his film debut in Mary Lambert’s adaptation of King’s Pet Sematary, the child actor made an indelible impression as the undead Gage Creed, who comes back from beyond the grave after Daddy, distraught following the boy’s tragic death beneath the wheels of a semi, foolishly re-buries him at the mystical Indian burial ground nearby in hopes of raising him from the dead. Harmless, right? Wrong. With Hughes’ angelic looks serving as a potent counterpoint to the character’s third act penchant for slicing the Achilles’ tendons of lovable old men, the then-three-year-old actor impressively managed to affect a blank-eyed portrait of evil as he mercilessly slashed his way back into Mummy and Daddy’s lives. This unholy alliance of sweet and sour must have made any parent watching ponder the deeply uncomfortable question: what would I do if my toddler came at me with a bloody scalpel and a demonic gleam in his eye?

Montage of Gage scenes from the film:

6. Film: Misery (1990)

Monster: Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates)

It’s no mistake that Kathy Bates won an Oscar for her portrayal of deranged “#1 fan” Annie Wilkes, as it’s truly one of the greatest cinematic interpretations of a Stephen King character ever. What makes her performance so convincing is the actress’ understanding that, belying Annie’s brawny physical presence, she is at her core a sympathetic and deeply wounded middle-aged woman driven mad by a life filled with disappointment and her own self-imposed isolation. Different from King’s more otherworldly villains, the character is rooted firmly in a reality we can all recognize – a reality capable of inflicting the sort of pain that can sometimes transform ordinary people into monsters.

The “Hobbling Scene”:

5. Film: Cujo (1983)

Monster: Cujo

The rabid St. Bernard in Lewis Teague’s underrated adaptation (King himself is a particular fan of the film) is so frightening not necessarily for the physical appearance of the dog himself – though with his dripping jaws and imposing size he’s certainly an intimidating presence – but rather due to Teague and cinematographer Jan de Bont’s sure hand at crafting some brutally effective attack scenes and a sun-drenched atmosphere of throat-clutching dread. Maybe the most important components of all, however, are Dee Wallace and Danny Pintauro’s pitch-perfect performances as the frantic mother and son attempting to survive the ravenous dog’s ceaseless attacks in a dusty Pinto. There isn’t a moment where their fear doesn’t feel 100% genuine.

“Cujo” Segment on Bravo’s “Scariest Movie Moments”:

4. Film: Carrie (1976)

Monster: Margaret White (Piper Laurie)

It’s often said that real life is scarier than anything a Hollywood writer could dream up, which is part of what makes the character of Margaret White so terrifying in Carrie. We’ve all encountered at least one religious fundamentalist in our lives, with their creepy blank stares and condemnations of eternal hellfire, so it isn’t as if no one like her actually exists in the world. And while the character was certainly vivid on the page, she reached full bloom as portrayed in an Academy Award-nominated performance by Piper Laurie, delightfully over-the-top as the vicious, Bible-thumping Mommie Dearest of our collective childhood nightmares. In the hands of a lesser actress lines like “I can see your dirty pillows” might have come off silly, but Laurie delivered them all with such conviction you couldn’t help but feel a chill up your spine.

“They’re All Gonna Laugh at You!”:

3. Film: Apt Pupil

Monster: Kurt Dussander/Arthur Denker (Ian McKellen)

There is no real-life horror story from the last 100 years as mind-numbingly awful as the Holocaust, and King used that terrible chapter in our history as the linchpin of his novella Apt Pupil, in which a teenage boy discovers that an escaped Nazi war criminal is living in his suburban neighborhood under a false identity. Obsessed with the Holocaust, the boy threatens to expose Dussander if he doesn’t spill all the details of his horrible acts during the war, and over the next several months their relationship begins drawing out the darkest tendencies inside them both. As Dussander in the adaptation, Ian McKellen gives a subtly unnerving performance as a man reconnecting with the horrors he committed in his past and finding that he liked how they made him feel. The film itself is too glossy to capture the sheer creeping dread of King’s story, but McKellen’s performance makes it worth a watch. There are few moments as queasy as when the man dons his old SS uniform and begins enthusiastically marching in formation as if it were 1941 all over again.

“Uniform Scene”:

2. Film: The Mist (2007)

Monster: Mist creatures

King’s original novella about a group of stranded small townsfolk confronting a supernatural apocalypse in a supermarket is pretty damn terrifying, and director Frank Darabont thankfully didn’t disappoint in his translation of the story to the big screen. For all its other strengths The Mist simply wouldn’t have succeeded were it not for the effectiveness of the creature design, featuring as it does a host of Lovecraftian monstrosities -skull-faced spiders and insects, jaw-snapping pterodactyl-type beasts, a giant crab-like monster – that did an admirable job of making my skin crawl. It was the appearance of that enormous six-legged monster near the end of the movie, though, moving through near-impenetrable layers of otherworldly fog, which for me proved the most deeply unsettling image of the entire film.

Giant Creature Scene:

1. Film: The Shining (1980)

Villain: Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson)/The Overlook Hotel

Though King notoriously hated Stanley Kubrick’s interpretation of The Shining, in one interview even the author had to admit that at times he found the film “dreadfully unsettling”. Though it wasn’t faithful to the book, Nicholson brought a dangerous quality to Torrance from his very first appearance on screen, hinting that the character was perhaps perched at the edge of the abyss from the very beginning. That portrayal doesn’t jibe with the novel’s characterization of him as an essentially sane and decent individual driven to madness by outside forces, but it’s perhaps a more frightening idea to consider that the Overlook – brilliantly evoked as a monster all its own by Kubrick’s meticulous cinematography – is merely sensing and zeroing in on the man’s inherently malignant nature. The scariest scene in Kubrick’s film for me has always been the skin-crawling exchange between Jack and Danny in the bedroom near the middle of the movie, in which the son, perched uneasily upon his father’s knee, asks, “You wouldn’t ever hurt mommy and me, would you?” In the way he poses the question, it’s pretty clear he already knows the answer.

“You wouldn’t ever hurt mommy and me, would you?”:

Advertisement
1 Comment

Editorials

Finding Faith and Violence in ‘The Book of Eli’ 14 Years Later

Published

on

Having grown up in a religious family, Christian movie night was something that happened a lot more often than I care to admit. However, back when I was a teenager, my parents showed up one night with an unusually cool-looking DVD of a movie that had been recommended to them by a church leader. Curious to see what new kind of evangelical propaganda my parents had rented this time, I proceeded to watch the film with them expecting a heavy-handed snoozefest.

To my surprise, I was a few minutes in when Denzel Washington proceeded to dismember a band of cannibal raiders when I realized that this was in fact a real movie. My mom was horrified by the flick’s extreme violence and dark subject matter, but I instantly became a fan of the Hughes Brothers’ faith-based 2010 thriller, The Book of Eli. And with the film’s atomic apocalypse having apparently taken place in 2024, I think this is the perfect time to dive into why this grim parable might also be entertaining for horror fans.

Originally penned by gaming journalist and The Walking Dead: The Game co-writer Gary Whitta, the spec script for The Book of Eli was already making waves back in 2007 when it appeared on the coveted Blacklist. It wasn’t long before Columbia and Warner Bros. snatched up the rights to the project, hiring From Hell directors Albert and Allen Hughes while also garnering attention from industry heavyweights like Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman.

After a series of revisions by Anthony Peckham meant to make the story more consumer-friendly, the picture was finally released in January of 2010, with the finished film following Denzel as a mysterious wanderer making his way across a post-apocalyptic America while protecting a sacred book. Along the way, he encounters a run-down settlement controlled by Bill Carnegie (Gary Oldman), a man desperate to get his hands on Eli’s book so he can motivate his underlings to expand his empire. Unwilling to let this power fall into the wrong hands, Eli embarks on a dangerous journey that will test the limits of his faith.

SO WHY IS IT WORTH WATCHING?

Judging by the film’s box-office success, mainstream audiences appear to have enjoyed the Hughes’ bleak vision of a future where everything went wrong, but critics were left divided by the flick’s trope-heavy narrative and unapologetic religious elements. And while I’ll be the first to admit that The Book of Eli isn’t particularly subtle or original, I appreciate the film’s earnest execution of familiar ideas.

For starters, I’d like to address the religious elephant in the room, as I understand the hesitation that some folks (myself included) might have about watching something that sounds like Christian propaganda. Faith does indeed play a huge part in the narrative here, but I’d argue that the film is more about the power of stories than a specific religion. The entire point of Oldman’s character is that he needs a unifying narrative that he can take advantage of in order to manipulate others, while Eli ultimately chooses to deliver his gift to a community of scholars. In fact, the movie even makes a point of placing the Bible in between equally culturally important books like the Torah and Quran, which I think is pretty poignant for a flick inspired by exploitation cinema.

Sure, the film has its fair share of logical inconsistencies (ranging from the extent of Eli’s Daredevil superpowers to his impossibly small Braille Bible), but I think the film more than makes up for these nitpicks with a genuine passion for classic post-apocalyptic cinema. Several critics accused the film of being a knockoff of superior productions, but I’d argue that both Whitta and the Hughes knowingly crafted a loving pastiche of genre influences like Mad Max and A Boy and His Dog.

Lastly, it’s no surprise that the cast here absolutely kicks ass. Denzel plays the title role of a stoic badass perfectly (going so far as to train with Bruce Lee’s protégée in order to perform his own stunts) while Oldman effortlessly assumes a surprisingly subdued yet incredibly intimidating persona. Even Mila Kunis is remarkably charming here, though I wish the script had taken the time to develop these secondary characters a little further. And hey, did I mention that Tom Waits is in this?

AND WHAT MAKES IT HORROR ADJACENT?

Denzel’s very first interaction with another human being in this movie results in a gory fight scene culminating in a face-off against a masked brute wielding a chainsaw (which he presumably uses to butcher travelers before eating them), so I think it’s safe to say that this dog-eat-dog vision of America will likely appeal to horror fans.

From diseased cannibals to hyper-violent motorcycle gangs roaming the wasteland, there’s plenty of disturbing R-rated material here – which is even more impressive when you remember that this story revolves around the bible. And while there are a few too many references to sexual assault for my taste, even if it does make sense in-universe, the flick does a great job of immersing you in this post-nuclear nightmare.

The excessively depressing color palette and obvious green screen effects may take some viewers out of the experience, but the beat-up and lived-in sets and costume design do their best to bring this dead world to life – which might just be the scariest part of the experience.

Ultimately, I believe your enjoyment of The Book of Eli will largely depend on how willing you are to overlook some ham-fisted biblical references in order to enjoy some brutal post-apocalyptic shenanigans. And while I can’t really blame folks who’d rather not deal with that, I think it would be a shame to miss out on a genuinely engaging thrill-ride because of one minor detail.

With that in mind, I’m incredibly curious to see what Whitta and the Hughes Brothers have planned for the upcoming prequel series starring John Boyega

There’s no understating the importance of a balanced media diet, and since bloody and disgusting entertainment isn’t exclusive to the horror genre, we’ve come up with Horror Adjacent – a recurring column where we recommend non-horror movies that horror fans might enjoy.

Continue Reading