Connect with us

Movies

Spielberg Still Thinks About Future of ‘Jaws’ Franchise

Published

on

With Jaws celebrating its 36th anniversary, AICN‘s Eric Vespe (aka Quint) recently got to chat with the man himself, Steven Spielberg, about the film and his career in general. We got a tidbit from the interview last week, when word got out that the Blu-ray is in the works without any sort of digital alterations (!), and now you can read the interview in its entirety right here.

Jaws is easily one of the most memorable films of all-time and it’s always been assumed that Spielberg was asked to come back for the sequel (which he turned down because hates shooting at sea). He moved onto greener pastures and left the franchise, but it seems as thought the shark that refused to work is always on his mind.

When asked about how he would have approached making a sequel, Spielberg responded, “No, no idea at all, but I have a very, very good scene which I thought would have been good for a sequel someday, which I will tell you someday because I don’t want it in print. But I’ll tell you my scene some day. Every time I think of this scene I think, ‘Hmmm, could this be another Jaws movie?’ and I have to immediately stop myself and immediately pull myself back down to Earth.

Now, the odds of him actually returning is probably slim to none, but the world would certainly be a better place for it. Each of the three follow-ups Universal made during the late 70’s and 80’s are either unwatchable or unintentionally hilarious (check past the break for the alternate ending of Jaws: The Revenge to see what I mean), and seeing him return would at least end the franchise on a sweet note – and not one that sounds like a mentally challenged lion.

Movies

‘Thrill Ride’ – Ryuhei Kitamura’s New Thriller Traps People Upside Down on a Roller Coaster!

Published

on

final destination 3
Pictured: 'Final Destination 3'

If you want to watch a fun movie, watch a Ryuhei Kitamura movie. Whether it’s 2000’s Versus, 2004’s Godzilla: Final Wars, 2008’s The Midnight Meat Train or 2022’s underseen The Price We Pay, Kitamura always knows how to deliver a wild and crazy good time.

Up next from Ryuhei Kitamura? Deadline reports that he’ll be directing Thrill Ride, which sounds a bit like the best parts of Final Destination 3… expanded into a feature film!

Deadline details, “the English-language film will tell the story of a group of people, including two young women, who are trapped upside down on a roller coaster taken over by a mysterious saboteur threatening to drop them all one-by-one to their deaths.”

Film Bridge International is launching the project for sales ahead of the Cannes market.

Chad Law and Christopher Jolley wrote the screenplay.

Thrill Ride is exactly the type of high-concept based thriller that our customers are looking for in the marketplace,” said Film Bridge’s Ellen Wander and Jordan Dykstra. “With Ryuhei at the helm, we know his vision and execution will deliver thrills of the highest quality.”

“As a hardcore rollercoaster fan since I was young, I immediately fell in love with this script filled with suspense, action, crazy ups and downs, turns, loops, and corkscrews at maximum speed,” adds Kitamura. “I can’t wait to get on a ride and bring life to the wildest rollercoaster imaginable.”

We’re already seated. Stay tuned for more on Thrill Ride as we learn it.

‘The Midnight Meat Train’

Continue Reading