Connect with us

Movies

Spielberg Still Thinks About Future of ‘Jaws’ Franchise

Published

on

With Jaws celebrating its 36th anniversary, AICN‘s Eric Vespe (aka Quint) recently got to chat with the man himself, Steven Spielberg, about the film and his career in general. We got a tidbit from the interview last week, when word got out that the Blu-ray is in the works without any sort of digital alterations (!), and now you can read the interview in its entirety right here.

Jaws is easily one of the most memorable films of all-time and it’s always been assumed that Spielberg was asked to come back for the sequel (which he turned down because hates shooting at sea). He moved onto greener pastures and left the franchise, but it seems as thought the shark that refused to work is always on his mind.

When asked about how he would have approached making a sequel, Spielberg responded, “No, no idea at all, but I have a very, very good scene which I thought would have been good for a sequel someday, which I will tell you someday because I don’t want it in print. But I’ll tell you my scene some day. Every time I think of this scene I think, ‘Hmmm, could this be another Jaws movie?’ and I have to immediately stop myself and immediately pull myself back down to Earth.

Now, the odds of him actually returning is probably slim to none, but the world would certainly be a better place for it. Each of the three follow-ups Universal made during the late 70’s and 80’s are either unwatchable or unintentionally hilarious (check past the break for the alternate ending of Jaws: The Revenge to see what I mean), and seeing him return would at least end the franchise on a sweet note – and not one that sounds like a mentally challenged lion.

Movies

Melissa Barrera and Bailee Madison Want Roles in the ‘Scary Movie’ Reboot

Published

on

Abigail Overlook Film Festival 2024 - gory horror Abigail set visit
Pictured: Melissa Barrera in 'Abigail'

It was announced two weeks ago that Paramount is resurrecting the Scary Movie spoof franchise with a brand new reboot movie, which will likely arrive in theaters next year.

The new movie, a joint venture between Paramount and Miramax that will technically be the sixth installment in the franchise, is expected to go into production this coming Fall.

We don’t yet know who will be writing, directing or starring in the Scary Movie reboot, but two actors in particular have already expressed an interest in joining the franchise.

The first is Melissa Barrera, who can currently be seen in theaters in Radio Silence’s bloody horror movie Abigail. Barrera is of course also the star of Scream and Scream VI, which kind of makes her a perfect candidate to lampoon herself in a Scary Movie reboot.

“I always loved those movies,” Melissa Barrera tells the website Inverse. “When I saw it announced, I was like, ‘Oh, that would be fun.’ That would be so fun to do.”

The actress adds, “They have the iconic cast that did it, so we’ll see what goes on with that. I’m just excited to see a new one.”

In a tweet posted last night, Bailee Madison (The Strangers: Prey at Night, the upcoming “Pretty Little Liars: Summer School”) also threw her hat in the running.

Madison tweets, “Random but scary movie 6 hit me up cause I just feel like we’d have fun okay bye.” Your move, Paramount. And make sure you call Anna Faris and Regina Hall too.

Directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, the first Scary Movie was released in 2000, just four years after Wes Craven reinvigorated the horror genre with his meta slasher masterpiece, Scream.

The film parodied horror movies of the time including Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and The Blair Witch Project, and the horror-comedy spoof scared up $278 million at the worldwide box office. The success of that first Scary Movie paved the way for an entire franchise of horror spoofs, five of them in total released between 2000 and 2013.

Bailee Madison in “The Strangers: Prey at Night’

Continue Reading