Connect with us

Movies

Dead Eyes No More; Insane New ‘Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ Stills

Published

on

Leading up to the films August 5 release I expect to have a pretty heavy debate in regards to Twentieth Century Fox’s Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the Rupert Wyatt-directed prequel to Tim Burton’s remake that stars James Franco, John Lithgow, Freida Pinto, Andy Serkis, Brian Cox, and Tom Felton.

I’ve seen some serious online hate in regards to the trailers released (watch the second one inside), yet I think everything put on display looks absolutely incredible. Typically I’d be skeptical – Fox has punked us hundreds of times over the past decade – but X-Men: First Class has given me a sense of rejuvenated hope.

Adding more fuel to the pro-column are the newly release images that show just how far our CGI has come. Oscar-winning visual effects house WETA Digital will render, for the first time ever in the film series, photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors. Take a good look at the below image of Caesar (hi-res available in image gallery) and gaze into his eyes; it appears to me that we’ve passed the “dead eyes” epidemic of the ’90s and ’00s. No? I’m out-of-my-mind impressed.

An origin story in the true sense of the word, ‘Rise’ is set in present day San Francisco. The film is a reality-based cautionary tale — a science fiction/science-fact blend where mankind’s hubris leads to the development of intelligence in apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

Horror movie fanatic who co-founded Bloody Disgusting in 2001. Producer on Southbound, V/H/S/2/3/94, SiREN, Under the Bed, and A Horrible Way to Die. Chicago-based. Horror, pizza and basketball connoisseur. Taco Bell daily. Franchise favs: Hellraiser, Child's Play, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Scream and Friday the 13th. Horror 365 days a year.

Movies

Matilda Firth Joins the Cast of Director Leigh Whannell’s ‘Wolf Man’ Movie

Published

on

Pictured: Matilda Firth in 'Christmas Carole'

Filming is underway on The Invisible Man director Leigh Whannell’s Wolf Man for Universal and Blumhouse, which will be howling its way into theaters on January 17, 2025.

Deadline reports that Matilda Firth (Disenchanted) is the latest actor to sign on, joining Christopher Abbott (Poor Things),  Julia Garner (The Royal Hotel), and Sam Jaeger.

The project will mark Whannell’s second monster movie and fourth directing collaboration with Blumhouse Productions (The Invisible Man, Upgrade, Insidious: Chapter 3).

Wolf Man stars Christopher Abbott as a man whose family is being terrorized by a lethal predator.

Writers include Whannell & Corbett Tuck as well as Lauren Schuker Blum & Rebecca Angelo.

Jason Blum is producing the film. Ryan Gosling, Ken Kao, Bea Sequeira, Mel Turner and Whannell are executive producers. Wolf Man is a Blumhouse and Motel Movies production.

In the wake of the failed Dark Universe, Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man has been the only real success story for the Universal Monsters brand, which has been struggling with recent box office flops including the comedic Renfield and period horror movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Giving him the keys to the castle once more seems like a wise idea, to say the least.

Wolf Man 2024

Continue Reading