Connect with us

Interviews

[Sundance ’12] Interview: ‘Red Lights’ Director Rodrigo Cortes

Published

on

Rodrigo Cortes’ film Red Lights (review) divided audiences at Sundance. Some viewers really dug it. Cortes could tell I was not a fan, even though my questions were objective and diplomatic. It was cool though, he welcomed my discussion anyway.

Red Lights is named for the giveaway clues that something doesn’t belong. Cillian Murphy and Sigourney Weaver play scientific debunkers of paranormal hoaxes, faced with their match (Robert DeNiro), who either can circumvent all their countermeasures, or he really has psychic powers.

In his introduction to the premiere screening, Cortes told the audience not to expect anything. Now that you may have heard, we present my discussion with Cortes from the Sundance Film Festival. Q: Your introduction said don’t have any expectations. Are you being modest or do you have concerns?

RC: No, no, no. I was not being modest and I didn’t have any specific concern. It’s actually my way of proceeding usually. I try to keep my expectations neutral about things because this way you can react in real time with whatever reality brings to you. If you have a very petrified map about things you expect from things, then you have to constantly compare things themselves with your idea about what those things should be in your head. In real life, that’s not the best way to perceive reality. What I was trying to tell the audience is that if they wanted to have a clean experience of whatever they were going to see, no matter if they liked it or hated it, they better see the film not only with their minds but also with their bones, with their muscles, just to try to be guided by the energy of the film, whatever it brought them to, and once they arrived to the end, then they can say, “Okay, I enjoyed this ride” or “I found this ride totally unsatisfying” or “I wish I never rode this horse.” But not making it compete with a previous idea of a nonexistent film.

Q: But you can’t say that before every showing in every theater in America.

RC: Of course. Certainly. Actually, it was basically a funny way of starting, saying, “Okay, don’t expect anything.” From that moment on, the movie is going to defend itself. Premieres are different though. There’s a very weird energy in premieres that can make you leave or that can kill you or that can get you even. When you see a film three years later, you have a DVD or you see them on the TV, you see a film. That’s it. Films usually when they are released have not a clean perspective, but that’s film. That’s part of the game. You can’t help that. It happens to me constantly. I see a film, I love it. I see it two years later and say, “Okay, it was not that good. I thought it was much better than it really was.” And sometimes, you see a film, if you don’t like it or you miss it, then a couple of years later you say, “Okay, what was I thinking? This movie’s really good. I simply thought it was going to be another film.” Or you see it and you confirm what you thought on the first view. All these things can happen but when you see them in this clear way which is impossible at the beginning, they don’t compete with themselves. You can’t help that that happens in a world premiere and that can help you many times. Sometimes things happen, even if they are over exaggerated or whatever, and they create a kind of energy which the snowball starts to roll and it feeds off this previous energy, and sometimes it doesn’t go that well or whatever. You have to be very supportive with that and try to enjoy the process because that’s what reality is about. Life is about that.

Q: I find myself discussing that a lot as my opinions on certain films change. To me that seems like a valid signpost of where I am in life if I relate to a movie more or less than I used to. Are people too hung up on preserving their first impression for the rest of the life of a movie?

RC: Yeah, you’re right. But on the other hand, this is just talking the talk in a way because then reality is what reality is. So it’s better that you just serve reality and try to enjoy the ride because there are a lot of surprises in front of you and that’s another reason for keeping your expectations neutral. You never know how things are going to go. What happens one day can change the direction of something. It’s pretty cruel in a way but that’s part of our business.

Q: Why is the paranormal big again?

RC: I don’t know, I think in a way it’s always been big.

Q: They always say that about trends. Certainly it’s come back with Paranormal Activity.

RC: It’s a kind of fashion in a way and it’s also about wanting to believe there’s something beyond, because that will give meaning to the films we do in a way. So sometimes actually believing in this is to believe in what’s more convenient for us to believe. Maybe now more people need to fill that sorrow than in other moments. I don’t know but I was not so interested in paranormal stuff in itself but about how it affected us and our beliefs. Or about also to make an instance of perception. I wanted to do something with a scientific basis in a way because everything has to do with the mechanisms of perception, with the function of our brain, how our brain is not a tool you can trust in order to perceive reality. Because it lies. It’s an imperfect tool and it lies to you. That’s what I wanted, everything to be so physical and touchable. I love for instance the beginning of Poltergeist when everything’s physical, when you sit a girl on the floor and she slides on it. I personally as a spectator prefer that to the ghost hand coming out of a TV set or blue spirits trespassing walls. It’s like if you would get angry now and everything starts to tremble around and glasses start to explode. Maybe it’s a projection of your psychic energy but maybe it’s an earthquake.

Q: Like when the theater explodes when Cillian Murphy turns on the switch.

RC: There are two different possibilities in that very moment. You have to choose one and you certainly choose one, but the other one is valid too. You think this is real, in another moment you are certain this is not real, these are just fake, this is just fake. In another moment you start to doubt again and you have to become in a way a searcher of Red Lights, trying to find the discordant notes and not all the answers are given. My personal perspective, I love when you have to keep on working, especially if you want to keep on working. If you pretend that and it doesn’t happen, in a minute you become the most pretentious director ever and that means that you failed. You intended something that didn’t happen and it failed. But there are different kinds of movies. Some of them you start to forget them when the end credits start rolling. The day afterwards, you seem to not remember anything about it. And when they tell you, “Didn’t you like how it ended?” And you say, “I wish I knew. I don’t remember. Oh yeah, there was a lawyer, oh yeah right, he dies. Yeah, yeah, I liked that.” With other films you find that they still live inside you and that you can’t help thinking of them and that you want to discuss your own perspective about the film. You have friends and you go on talking about it and you say, “I feel this guy knew how to fly.” “No, I don’t think he knew how to fly. I think he was just pulled by strings and whatever.” “Yeah, but at the beginning, how do you explain this?” “Yeah, you’re right but on the other hand…” Well, that’s a place I would love to put the audience in. I don’t know if I did. I will learn soon, but I wish I got that.

Q: Are you happy to hear there’s a divided reaction to the film?

RC: Yeah, I’m happy to hear that always and I’m ready for that always. It was funny though in a way. I saw all my films and my short films many times with different audiences, different days, different times. I show other people’s films too and sometimes you see a film at four o’clock and people laugh in the right moments. You see that at eight o’clock and for some reason people don’t laugh but you win the audience award which you cannot explain. It was funny to see how different the reactions from the first day were to the reactions from the second day. But debate is always part of the game and I would love not people to love or to hate something, I would love them to be willing to talk about it, telling how much they love it or how much they hate it, wanting to talk about it and sharing their own fears.

Q: Buried was well reviewed and well liked. Why didn’t it get a bigger release?

RC: It was very big around the world. It didn’t work in the states. It made more than $20 million. It’s difficult to explain things after they happen because it’s easy, but it’s convenient. You would only have the answers if you knew how to predict that. It was released in platform. They thought it would grow and grow because of people’s opinion but people didn’t go to the movies. They didn’t want to see the film. Maybe it has to do because you don’t go to the movies for the movies themselves but for what you expect from them. If they tell you this is about a guy in a box for an hour and a half, probably many people don’t want to see it. Because the idea they will have in their mind is that they are going to see something still and agonic and terrible and probably extremely experimental. They don’t think they are going to be on an adventure, they’re not going to think they’re going to see Indiana Jones in a box, so maybe that’s not the easier way to sell a film. On the other hand it would be better for Europe or Asia and the things that did work very well in the UK, in Spain, in Italy, even in Argentina it was number one, you can understand that. I would say there is another thing which is almost cultural which is that we killed our hero. I think there is a cultural thing in the states that people in a way feel they have the right to feel rewarded at the end of a film if they paid 12 bucks. So it’s okay, you made this guy suffer so much, he deserves to be saved. You cannot make me suffer for an hour and a half and then leave me feeling miserable.

Q: I don’t know about that. You’ve got to expect that in a dark movie.

RC: I don’t know, as I told you it’s just theories so you never know. I know a lot of people when they left the room, they were really enjoying the film and at the end they hated it. They gave it an F. They felt betrayed. They felt so betrayed by the film which is something, it’s not that in Europe people are more sophisticated. Believe me, we are not. We are not at all. We love happy endings as much as you do and we love stories as much as you do. It’s only I think that there’s a little more room for certain options in the sense that you accept that there are other possibilities, that happiness is not a right but an option, another option in life.

Q: What’s are you writing and directing next?

RC: My next project is sleeping definitely. I’ve been working for three years from Monday through Sunday, I’m not exaggerating a minute, 15, 18 hours a day. Finished the film 15 days ago. The reels are still dropping. I’m extremely exhausted. I wish I could have a couple of days I could get up late in the morning and for the very first moment in a while, I feel like there is again room in my head to think on something. I don’t know yet what, so when I leave all the snow behind, that’ll be the time to start thinking again.

Interviews

‘Humane’ – Caitlin Cronenberg, Emily Hampshire, and Jay Baruchel on Violent Horror Satire

Published

on

Humane clip - Jay Baruchel and Emily Hampshire

Caitlin Cronenberg, the daughter of horror master David Cronenberg, is making her own mark in the genre filmmaking space with Humane, a horror/thriller satire starring Jay Baruchel (This Is The End) and Emily Hampshire (“Schitt’s Creek”) that forces an affluent family to make an unthinkable choice.

Humane will first be arriving in theaters courtesy of IFC Films on April 26, 2024. The film later comes home to Shudder on July 26. 

Michael Sparaga wrote the script and produces the movie, which also stars Peter Gallagher (Grace and Frankie), Sebastian Chacon (Emergency), Alanna Bale (Sort Of, Cardinal) and Sirena Gulamgaus (“Chapelwaite“).

In Humane, “a recently retired newsman has invited his grown children to dinner to announce his intentions to enlist in the nation’s new euthanasia program. But when the father’s plan goes horribly awry, tensions flare, and chaos erupts among his children.”

Ahead of the film’s theatrical release this week, Bloody Disgusting spoke with director Caitlin Cronenberg along with stars Emily Hampshire and Jay Baruchel, who play siblings Rachel and Jared York. 

Caitlin Cronenberg hails from a family of filmmakers known for their genre output, but that didn’t mean it was a foregone conclusion that Caitlin Cronenberg’s feature debut would also be horror. The filmmaker isn’t quite sure that Humane counts, either.

Cast of Humane

Cronenberg explains, “I don’t even know that it is classified as a horror movie, which is why I love it so much. It has got horror elements, it’s got thriller elements, and then it’s a family drama, ultimately. I think that the depth of the story is what was the most appealing to me, and the fact that there was an opportunity to throw some good gore in there certainly was appealing in my very soul. But I do think it’s just a matter of what speaks to you. There was no plan in place for what my first feature would be. It was, ‘I love this. Let’s make it.’ Not that simple, but you know what I mean?”

Humane plays like a stage play, trapping its characters inside a single location with a ticking clock as the tension heats from a simmer to a roaring boil. Because the dialogue-heavy film is so reliant on its casting, Cronenberg wasn’t just looking for key personality traits to play her affluent family but also looking for actors with whom she could collaborate.

Cronenberg says of her cast, “Em was my first text/call. She was very obviously someone who could handle all of the complexities of the Rachel character, and also somebody who I knew would just be a fucking blast to work with. Jay was exactly the same, just the next person that we talked to. I just knew that he would absolutely kill it. Jared having a range of the worst kind of person to an emotional person, and all the way back around. Really, once we had the two siblings as the anchor points, the rest of the film cast came into place. Because I think you’ve got two strong actors who know how to work together, they’re going to lead the charge. Then, everyone else gets to be brought into this sphere of great energy and great talent. The script was actually written for Enrico Colantoni, who played Bob, which was just a no-brainer bringing him in. Just a mind-blowing performance as Bob.”

Enrico Colantoni

While Emily Hampshire and Jay Baruchel didn’t hesitate to say yes to working with Cronenberg and each other, both actors have the daunting task of playing morally tricky characters within an entitled, rich family. Yet both find ways to instill rooting interest. How do the actors find the humanity in characters like Rachel or Jared York?

Hampshire reflects, “My first thought is, I love a character. It’s so fun to get to do all the things that you’re not allowed to do in society because no one will like you. But I think inherent in that is the humanity. Everybody has those thoughts of being that person, doing the wrong thing, and seeing somebody executedI think is really likable. Like you love to hate them. I don’t know. Jay, you?”

Baruchel elaborates, “I think if you’re doing your job correctly and your responsibilities are what they should be, the gig is the same every time. Which is, try to be truthful and try to be truthful in a compelling way that serves the story and doesn’t step on other shit. Then, look for little bits of daylight where you can sometimes put in your own little bit of shading in the margins, too. So, this is all to say that it’s all on the page, as much of a cliché as that is. I think that the story unfolds the way that it should. So, I just have to trust that that, as a manual or roadmap, is the right direction to where we’re going; Caitlin will drive us there. Then the job for Emily and I, and whomever else in the moment, is to try to be as truthful to the moment we’re creating as we possibly can. In that respect, if I am being honest and truthful about it, I will inevitably pull something from me and put it in there.”

It likely helps, at least in Hampshire’s case, that these tricky characters are also struggling parents. Rachel York becomes a bit more relatable through her relationship and fierce love of her daughter Mia, played by Sirena Gulamgaus. Hampshire humorously recounts the role she played in Gulamgaus’s casting.

Hampshire tells Bloody Disgusting, “I had actually worked with Sirena on a show called Chapelwaite, and she played my stepdaughter. When Caitlin was looking for Mia, I was like, ‘This girl. Like you’ve got to see this.’ And she killed it. I was very proud of my daughter. That was really great, especially for me. I don’t usually get- I shouldn’t say that. I was going to say I don’t usually get cast as a mom. I get cast as a bad mom or mom of a ghost baby, and so I have a hard time believing in myself as a mother. So, to have the relationship I already have with Sirena, which is like, ‘She’s the mom,’ that made it a lot easier.”

Emily Hampshire bloodied in Humane

Humane backs the York family into a corner and forces them to make a harrowing choice, which means that tensions eventually explode into violence. More than just biting sarcasm and sharp, witty dialogue, the film gives Hampshire and Baruchel a lot to do when it comes to physical violence, as well. But which is more fun to play?

Baruchel jokes, “I have a crippling addiction to pratfalls, so when we’re in the Tom and Jerry portion of the movie, I am just a pig in shit. I could get my ass kicked every day, and, yeah, I keep coming back for it. So for me personally, all of the physical shit.”

Hampshire agrees, “I love the physical shit when I don’t have to actually be good at it. I’ve had to do some things where I have a gun, and I’m supposed to look like I can use it, and I don’t believe myself in that. But this, I love that we’re not stunt people; we’re siblings fighting with weapons, and there’s a lot of funny in that. Like really trying to kill somebody is actually harder than you think.”

“I loved the surprise on their faces when they actually managed to hurt another person, Cronenberg adds.

Continue Reading