The Health & Fitness Thread

The title says it all.... whatever. If it doesn't fit anywhere else post it here.
Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: The Health & Fitness Thread

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 am

Se7en wrote:Best thing about taking bumps for a workout is beating the shit out of yourself

Eat

Sleep

Future CTE for no reason

Repeat
I did Pro Wrestling training for 2 years when I was around 18 and it was the best shape cardio wise I had ever been in my life. It was the old school training as well which involved legit amateur wrestling and takedown fighting just to harden you up.

I don't think bumping is a healthy long term fitness plan though :lol:

The next possible wrestling health issue is chops and strikes to the chest. Some recent science research suggests that heavy impacts from some sports on the chest can have the same effect as bruising your heart in a car crash. Might be some truth to it and 80s/90s wrestlers with roided up hearts would have been vulnerable.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 am

Midnight-Kroovy wrote:
Se7en wrote:Best thing about taking bumps for a workout is beating the shit out of yourself

Eat

Sleep

Future CTE for no reason

Repeat
I did Pro Wrestling training for 2 years when I was around 18 and it was the best shape cardio wise I had ever been in my life. It was the old school training as well which involved legit amateur wrestling and takedown fighting just to harden you up.

I don't think bumping is a healthy long term fitness plan though :lol:

The next possible wrestling health issue is chops and strikes to the chest. Some recent science research suggests that heavy impacts from some sports on the chest can have the same effect as bruising your heart in a car crash. Might be some truth to it and 80s/90s wrestlers with roided up hearts would have been vulnerable.
Being a huge wrestling fan I did some wrestling training as well at an old boxing gym. It was just like Mick's gym from Rocky but that stuff was brutal. Definitely one of the best cardio workouts out there. After trying a couple of matches with friends we figured we weren't going to the WWE so it morphed into boxing, which is a hell of a work out as well.

I wish I had the time to do some MMA. That seems like it would be nice to learn some of the take downs and submissions.

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote: I did Pro Wrestling training for 2 years when I was around 18 and it was the best shape cardio wise I had ever been in my life. It was the old school training as well which involved legit amateur wrestling and takedown fighting just to harden you up.
I hear about these developmental guys who have to do crazy shit like hundreds of squats/running the stairs/flipping tires... fuck that atm. My solo sequences get the heart going about as good as anything else, figured it's a good way to work up to that.
Midnight-Kroovy wrote:I don't think bumping is a healthy long term fitness plan though :lol:
I'm not even doing anything that stupid either, it's just the follow through whiplash that's getting me. I'm putting too much of myself into these jumps to get them to work and sacrificing the landing a bit as a result. Especially with these dumbass flying kick strikes that I can't wrap my brain around.

My thigh slap is very potent though!
Midnight-Kroovy wrote:The next possible wrestling health issue is chops and strikes to the chest. Some recent science research suggests that heavy impacts from some sports on the chest can have the same effect as bruising your heart in a car crash. Might be some truth to it and 80s/90s wrestlers with roided up hearts would have been vulnerable.
Yikes, I used to do Mark Wahlberg's chest pound all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekkIO61DsA

Midnight-Kroovy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Midnight-Kroovy » Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm

TexasSnacks wrote:Being a huge wrestling fan I did some wrestling training as well at an old boxing gym. It was just like Mick's gym from Rocky but that stuff was brutal. Definitely one of the best cardio workouts out there. After trying a couple of matches with friends we figured we weren't going to the WWE so it morphed into boxing, which is a hell of a work out as well.

I wish I had the time to do some MMA. That seems like it would be nice to learn some of the take downs and submissions.
Se7en wrote:I hear about these developmental guys who have to do crazy shit like hundreds of squats/running the stairs/flipping tires... fuck that atm. My solo sequences get the heart going about as good as anything else, figured it's a good way to work up to that.
My training wasn't as intense as it in America, it was just at a pretty half assed place a couple sundays a month. I was a skinny guy and knew I wasn't gonna go anywhere with it like the others, we were there just for the love of it.

Fighting sports are the best for fitness though, I wouldn't mind taking up boxing as well just for the workout.
Se7en wrote:Yikes, I used to do Mark Wahlberg's chest pound all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dekkIO61DsA
:lol:

Tone it down to the Mcconaughey Wall Street.

Se7en
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by Se7en » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Midnight-Kroovy wrote: Fighting sports are the best for fitness though, I wouldn't mind taking up boxing as well just for the workout.
We should have a Blu Ray on a pole match if I ever make it up to the UK

ThatIrishGuy
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by ThatIrishGuy » Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 am

I can finally get back in the gym! I had surgery on my ear a few weeks ago..was instructed to stay out of the gym for 3 wks...I gave it a week and a half. I am back in. Cardio mostly. I will wait a bit to lift heavy. I am down to 210. Was 235. I need to trim/tighten up now. I do not want to dip below 200lbs. Always been a bigger build type of a dude. WOuld be weird to be to be below 200 for me.

"What's a clown doing here? Everyone knows the only thing scarier than a horde of zombies is a clown. Behold the true face of fear!"

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Alright tomorrow morning is the day I take on my players in what we call the Gauntlet. We say it separates Monsters from Men. This should be fun. I'm buying pizza for any who beat me and those who don't have to run gassers. They are not fun :D

Iggy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Iggy » Sun May 28, 2017 7:24 pm

I am a fat slob. I'm starting to have health issues and fear if i don't reverse this, i'll be dead by 40. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need change to happen now. :(

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am

Iggy wrote:I am a fat slob. I'm starting to have health issues and fear if i don't reverse this, i'll be dead by 40. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need change to happen now. :(
Best advice I can give bud, and it will sound very cliche, is to have a lifestyle and mindset change. Most people who make decisions to get healthy or in shape based on emotion usually don't last, because when that emotion leaves, their drive fades away and they are back to square one. You have to get in the mind frame that this isn't going to be easy and it's a marathon not a sprint. It's the New Year resolution effect. In January the gyms are packed with fresh faces by March it's the same old gym rats. That emotion has worn off and results aren't coming as quick as they want, so they become discouraged and start to fade away.

If you want to be successful and obtain your goals then "healthy living" has to become a lifestyle and not a sporadic hobby. Your ultimate goal should determine your commit level. I'm not saying you have to full blown crossfit douche crazy :lol: because over doing it can be an issue in itself.

I am not a professional trainer or anything but I have been working out 5-6 days a week since I was 14. I went to college for kinesiology and have been coaching/training teenagers for over 10 years. So it's easy for me to talk about it being a lifestyle. I have also helped some coaches, teachers, housewives with too much time on their hands lose weight and get in shape.

I guess to really help I would need more info. If your cool with sharing? We can either talk here or you can PM me. I'm willing to help partner.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue May 30, 2017 11:06 am

Iggy wrote:I am a fat slob. I'm starting to have health issues and fear if i don't reverse this, i'll be dead by 40. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need change to happen now. :(
and iggs, i think you have to make measurable, incremental changes, like adding a small amount of exercise per day and then building it up, or cutting back 2 of 3 daily sodas at first. i have found, as i make changes, and start to see results, i get more excited about continuing.

it also helps to keep front and center why you're making changes: to live. to be with your family. to enjoy life.

i highly recommend this super tracker:

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodtracker.aspx

i started using it to keep track of what i was eating, to see that i was meeting nutritional needs, and to keep me focussed with exercise. for me, it helps to lay it all in front of me. the hardest part is starting, but once you do, once you start feeling the results, it'll spur you forward.

you can do this, hermano!