The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

If you really want to talk about sports, do it here.
Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by Sea Hag » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 am

nancylives! wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 am
yes, from my perspective. i believe activism is extremely important.
I do too. Hence my reverence for Jim Brown & Ali. Like I've said; I find this form of protest to be extremely lazy, regressive & systematic of today's society which has been engulfed by social media. It's all the more glaring when compared to the grass roots work of real mccoy activists like Brown, Ali & Jabbar.

it's getting people to think about something that they think may not directly affect them, which is very important. it's getting a topic discussed that affects people who feel (and are) disenfranchised. again, i can only speak from my perspective, but my colleagues, folks in washington, d.c., local sports radio, espn, national news outlets, this is being discussed. i was at baltimore comicon last weekend, and many people were talking about it, and not just to defend or decry, but to try and understand. i think it's a good. it seems that you don't think the conversation has been productive, but i do, hence my position on the conversation being productive, important, meaningful. it's happening. it wasn't happening as broadly before kaepernicks actions. these conversations help to foment understanding--and yes, distill anger and frustration--and bring us closer to making change, both within ourselves and externally. i feel like i've said these things throughout this laborious discussion, but they don't seem to resonate with you, which is perfectly okay. i hope that these are answers enough for you to at least understand my position, whether you agree with it/take it seriously or not. these are the reasons i think this is a good thing.

Fair enough.. Completely disagree in the sense that I feel there's too much focus on perceived or even real slights than there is on people's ownership of their own lives. Even with racism still existing it's not productive to wallow in it.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:17 am

and your latter point is where i think the biggest chasm exists between us. you seem to see these things as perceived and real slights that are moving people away from ownership of their own lives. i see people with ownership of their own lives getting some of the frustrations and inequities out in the open, on a platform. i don't advocate passivity, i don't advocate blaming one's problems on others, i don't believe in in handing over our own self-determination to others, and i don't see these issues, or my position, as being contrary to that. you can be the captain of your own ship, and still be in rough seas of someone else's design.

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Well Michael Bennett fits what I'm saying to a "T". And he's a public figure whose lack of ownership of himself resulted in divisive, lazy rhetoric spewed from his very visible platform. Alot of that going around & it's not helping anything.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:39 pm

very frustrating loss today. the offense played their best game of the season, despite one poor drive in the third, terrance williams handing that ball to green bay for an easy score, and throwing that pass on first down and goal late in the game. otherwise, the defense just can't make the stops. we should have been at least able to hold green bay to a field goal at the end. giving up points at the end of the first half was also a killer. real blown opportunity to lose to a team that misses two extra points. get shit right, dallas.

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Haven't watched the Steelers in 3 weeks. It's been cathartic.