The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

If you really want to talk about sports, do it here.
nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by nancylives! » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm

i sorta got to thinking we're three months into the new year, plus, with free-agency opening today and the draft looming, 2017 is actually in full swing. looking forward to winning the superbowl this season!

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by nancylives! » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm

sounds like desean jackson is off to tampa bay! finally! he's out of the nfc east. i shant miss him.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Yea but Giants add Brandon Marshall. A rejuvenated Brandon Marshall who does his role right could be trouble.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:19 pm

TexasSnacks wrote:Yea but Giants add Brandon Marshall. A rejuvenated Brandon Marshall who does his role right could be trouble.
yeah, i noted that with a bit of consternation. i don't understand the issues with brandon marshall. he makes every qb he's played with better...why does no one want him for more than a year or two? hopefully the gints won't add a decent running back. the other thing i noticed last year is a little of eli's luster has worn off. i don't have the same level of...expectation that the giants will preform miracles like they used to. we'll see.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Texans get rid of Osweiler to the Browns and reports are the Browns won'y keep him for long. That dude got paid for pretty much doing nothing. I need his agent. :lol:

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:40 pm

so, now dallas is going to trade tony. good. we need to get something for him.

not thrilled about the eagles picking up jeffries.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I have been wanting them to trade Romo all along during this process. If Bradford's and Osweiler's can get 2nd or 3rd round pick Romo could get at least something of value.

Dallas is going to have to sure up that secondary for the next few years with the WR corps in the NFC East.

RayPuresoul
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by RayPuresoul » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Brother, you got it wrong.

https://youtu.be/Z1_NDA2emWE?t=1s

The Texans actually had to give up a 2nd rounder just to get the Browns to eat Awfullier's shitty contract.

Fork the secondary. The Cowboys need some pass rushers that aren't head cases or smoke hounds. Or complete busts.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 pm

RayPuresoul wrote:Brother, you got it wrong.

https://youtu.be/Z1_NDA2emWE?t=1s

The Texans actually had to give up a 2nd rounder just to get the Browns to eat Awfullier's shitty contract.

Fork the secondary. The Cowboys need some pass rushers that aren't head cases or smoke hounds. Or complete busts.
I know what they trade was, I'm just saying lesser QBs then Romo get decent draft picks. Romo is worth a mid round pick.

Pass rush has been a need for sometime now and is nothing new. Secondary will need improvement as well with these added WRs.

RayPuresoul
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by RayPuresoul » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Yeah, but comparing 36-year old Romo to 29-year old Bradford isn't an apples to apples comparison. I mean I don't get the infatuation with Bradford (shit, up until the past two seasons, he was the same porcelain figurine Romold is now) but for a team like the Vikings who found themselves in a QB crisis, if they put the right pieces around Bradford, O-line, running game to go along with their defense, he could be their Matty Ice Lite. Now if the Cowboys would've decided to trade 31-year old Romo for some insane reason, who even in 2011, was coming off missing significant games due to injury in 2 out of 3 seasons, back then his broken thumb and broken collarbone could still be considered freak random enough occurrences that the Cowboys could've named their price. That's how you have to compare the 1st rounder the Vikings gave up for Bradford compared to the king's ransom the Cowboys would've gotten for Romo at a similar point in his career.

But yeah, mid-round pick is pretty spot on. I mean whatever the risk on getting any kind of contribution out of Romo is, it's not like 3rd or 4th rounders are guaranteed starters much less superstars. It really depends on what the market is. If there's three teams involved, I'd push my luck for a 2nd rounder. Teams do a lot dumber shit to snag a lot lesser QB's all of the time.

My point about the pass rush is you can almost get by with smoke and mirrors in the secondary if you have a legitimate pass rush. The opposite isn't true though where if it gets down to nut-cutting time and you can't get to the passer, you're screwed no matter who you have back there. Even for the Seahawks, who are the exception to the rule, all it took was for them to lose Earl Thomas and their other superstars in the secondary didn't look so hot all of the sudden. You combat other teams passing attacks by building from the inside out.