The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

If you really want to talk about sports, do it here.
nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by nancylives! » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 am

i was glad to see dak and dez continue to build their chemistry, which they've been doing steadily since dez came back from injury last year. dak seems to have a good rapport with all of his receivers, which is pretty impressive for such a young player. he's looked sharp all camp and pre-season, and he seems to be seeing a lot of the down field stuff that he was missing last year. as effective as he was underneath, to add a consistent ability to go deep will make him a pretty well-rounded qb.

it was nice to jaylon smith get active. just from that one tackle, we can start to see what we have in him, a smart, instinctive player who likes to hit. i can only imagine where he'll be as he knocks off more rust and gets more work.

Sculpt
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sculpt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 am
i was glad to see dak and dez continue to build their chemistry, which they've been doing steadily since dez came back from injury last year. dak seems to have a good rapport with all of his receivers, which is pretty impressive for such a young player. he's looked sharp all camp and pre-season, and he seems to be seeing a lot of the down field stuff that he was missing last year. as effective as he was underneath, to add a consistent ability to go deep will make him a pretty well-rounded qb.

it was nice to jaylon smith get active. just from that one tackle, we can start to see what we have in him, a smart, instinctive player who likes to hit. i can only imagine where he'll be as he knocks off more rust and gets more work.
Losing Elliot for 6 games has to suck, but you're still probably assuming you're going to the playoffs, right?

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Sculpt wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:05 pm
nancylives! wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 am

Losing Elliot for 6 games has to suck, but you're still probably assuming you're going to the playoffs, right?
absolutely. there's talent all over the offense, which is our strength, and we're deep enough at rb with darren mcfadden, alfred morris, ronnie hillman, and even bruising rod smith, that i think we can survive zeke's absence for six (deserved) games. even in transition, the offensive line has three all-pros on it, and should be good enough to keep opening holes for these backs. and if we can be successful, say 4-2 or 5-1 (even 3-3) we'll be getting a healthy and fresh zeke for the final ten games. sadly, this could even work to our advantage. and what dak has shown in camp, in pre-season, he is slowly erasing any doubts i might have had about him having a bad sophomore slump. oh, he'll have his dings but every qb does. more and more, i believe dak prescott is a top tier quarterback. his mechanics are sound, he's smart, he knows how to play for another down, he's mature (much more than i was at 23, i'm sure).

the real question is the defense, which i am increasingly optimistic about, with my primary concern being the new players in the secondary, all of whom seem to have hamstring injuries. the defensive line will be interesting. there's talent, but no one who who can really blow things up. hopefully taco charlton, who is coming on in camp, can keep on ascending. lawrence and taco need to make some noise and hold the fort until david irving can come in and make the rotation meaningful. i like the tackles. our linebackers are very good and, depending on jaylon smith's progression, maybe great. our special teams are also very good, and if we can get just a tiny spark in the return game from ryan switzer. this unit will also go from very good to great.

i'm really excited about this cowboys team. i think we have a chance to really make some noise this year, hopefully deep into the post-season, not in the courtroom.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 pm

losing anthony hitchens really hurts. thank goodness (for him, primarily) that it wasn't a tear. hang in there and heal up, hitch!

Sculpt
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sculpt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 am

Yawl peoples like how your 53-man roster shook out?

Bears had a strange one...

A Full Back... Burton

5 TEs at the deadline... but now 4 TEs...

5 DL... (in a 3-4 Def) We have a great DL (Hicks, Goldman, Bullard, Robertson-Harris... and Urien and Jenkins. Bears cut free agent signings Jay Howard and 327lbs John Jenkins... then resigned Jenkins. Very disappointing to lose Jaye Howard... I guess he didn't impress the coaches, was ejected from the p-game 3.

4 OLB (in a 3-4) leonard Floyd, Willie Young, Pernell McPhee, Sam Acho... Bears took the chance of cutting a flashing UDFA passrusher Isaiah Irving (3 preseason sacks), but he cleared waivers and Bears signed him to their practice squad. I would have signed him to the 53. I can't imagine he stays on the PS for long.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:52 pm

enjoying watching football. i can't stand tom brady, but he sure is fucking good.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:56 am

...but not as good as alex smith, i guess :D

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 pm

fuck yeah, cowboys. that was some solid football today. i want more points, but we owned the clock and committed no major errors. i am under no illusion that the absence of beckham was a huge help, but it was nice to see the dline put steady pressure on eli, and knock him down several times. nice way to start the season. even when dak was off eartly, he was poised and in control. he's a real nfl qb. i have no concerns about him going forward. zeke is a beast. keep it on the field, zeke.

TexasSnacks
The Living Dead
The Living Dead

Post by TexasSnacks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 am

We Dem Boys!!! Solid first win and it's always nice to beat the Giants. That was just a great old fashioned football game. Control the clock, field position and wear down the other D to let that big ol oline push people around so Zeke could bowl his way down field. His combination of strength and speed with ability to read the holes is out of this world. Dak needs to work mechanics a little more so those high throws don't turn into INTs. Defense played solid and Jaylon Smith looks to be adjusting well. Yes I'm aware Beckham didn't play but that's the NFL for ya. Also as much as I hate kicking, I do love me some Dan Bailey. Makes a big difference when you have a solid FG kicker.

How about that catch from Beasley? Catch of the season already. haha

It's always a nice weekend when my teams go 4-0.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am

the beasley catch was amazing, and worth more than three minutes off the clock and flipping the field position.

the defense really impressed me. even the one drive where the giants were getting things going, the cowboys pulled it together, got a timely sack and held them to a field goal. that drive took 10 minutes. they did our job for us.