The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

If you really want to talk about sports, do it here.
Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Re: The Official 2017 NFL Season Thread

Post by Freddy_Lives » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 pm
i did think that. this is the first i've heard of it, from you, but i certainly agree. what pejorative term do you use to describe these ne'er do well conservative white people? are they thugs as well? do crimes of thievery by corporate assholes make them corporate thugs? are police who profile, harm, and murder innocent black people also thugs? cuz you talk a lot about "black on black" violence (with little consideration for a whole host of factors that contribute to this), but i've not once ever heard you describe anyone other than black people as "thugs", despite your kindly altruism (which, regardless of my tone and assumptions about you, is certainly to be commended).
First off to be "conservative" doesn't imply strictly white people, last time I checked most Muslims are like the strictest form of "Conservatism". I think you and I can agree that Saudi Arabia finally letting Women to drive in 2017 is a god damn travesty but it's progress none the less.

Thugs = violent people........so I don't believe in corporate "thuggery" if you are anti-capitalist or not a fan of trickle down economics that's fine, I'm open to a better system? Nat-Soc?? Communism??? Marxism???? Those tend to blend together too much for my taste.

Do a few bad apple cops shoot too happily??? Absolutely.....hey they kill more white people every year than blacks.

Do the majority of cops do their jobs to the best of their ability? That's what I believe.

Do corporations have your best interests at heart? Well no....but they do employ the majority of America so do I want to see them succeed because that means I succeed? Yes.

It's about CULTURE to me and black culture is rampant in the "hood" aspect of "thuggery", stealing to get yours or dealing or shooting them up. If you want to talk about conspiracy theories of how crack cocaine was placed in black communities to keep them from advancing, well I'm not opposed to the idea if you can give me the evidence.

Tell me what is truly keeping black people down? Asians come to America, Indians, Hispanics they all come and sure some of them tout "oppression" but more than not they work and rise to great levels why is that? Because their culture is different they have different views.

Does that mean all black people are bad? Of course not.

If you cannot see that Culture affects Black people more than anything well I can't help you. I don't ever hear of prominent black people talking about fixing their own Culture but instead say they are a victim of oppression which is just a lazy mentality to have.

Unless those black people are like Herman Cain/Thomas Sowell/Clarence Thomas among others that get called an Uncle Tom even though they have great minds.

Tell me how they would be doing in the Middle East or Africa????? Millions of people would KILL to even remotely have 1/10 of what the average black American has.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:01 am

i'm really disappointed with the way dallas is playing. the defense, which is capable of being good, has to be put in a good position, ie the offense can't go three and out every time we have the ball. the offensive line is clerly missing the presences of both ronald leary and unsung doug free. these guys gotta gel. collins will be good, chaz not so sure. he's really been up and down. we have to give the defense more time to rest, and give fewer possessions to the other team. the rams had nine scoring drives and at least three other possessions. that is not good. offensively we have to get better on first downs. when zeke gets stuffed for nothing on first down, 2nd and 3rd and long are too predictable, and play action is no longer viable. teams are loading up front; dak has to get it down field, especially if the defenses are creeping up with their safety. until we work some of this out, we're in big trouble. i shudder to think that if trevor siemian and jaredf goff (much improved, no doubt, but still...) can carve us to pieces, what'll aaron rodgers do to us?

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

nancylives! wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 pm
"people like me"? that's a pretty bold statement from someone who doesn't actually know me or know what i do. well, i guess you know i'm a teacher, since you've already indicated that teachers like me make you fear for your daughter.
I've been able to deduce that you're very much liberal in most of your stances. In this very thread you did lament about Kaepernick not being a Cowboy. (which is comical considering his character & intelligence)You've made it crystal clear that you feel the lazy, divisive, dinner theater kneeling that's going on is a good thing for us as a society. So I think it's safe to assume you consider yourself a progressive thinker. I'm saying you're the complete opposite in this instance. Your liberal/"progress" stance is helping perpetuate the stunting of our society. Generally speaking for us to truly move forward as a society people need to drop the victimhood moniker & take care of their own houses.

Again, has what's been transpiring on sidelines these last few weeks been bringing us together as a country? What good has come of this? And what conversation are we supposed to be having again? Is it supposed to go something like this: "i'm being oppressed by american society. I'm not being treated fairly.There, there, I hear you. I mean, it could be worse. We could be living in a Middle Eastern country where they tie people to chairs & throw them off buildings due to their sexual orientation. And even though we both live in a free society where "Affirmative Action" exists & you have just as much opportunity as I do, I feel your pain." Gimme a break..

Can we all just move forward? Can we do that?

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 pm

oh we can move on now that y'all have had your last words? convenient. again i would like to emphasize that i'm not a liberal. y'all gotta free yourselves from this binary thinking. liberalism is not nearly to the left enough for me. i'll leave y'all to your final thoughts, however. i will say, on kaepernick, though, all he has done since his admittedly rocky beginnings with this protest, is smarten up his response and increase his outreach. btw, he chose to kneel (aka genuflecting) out of a desire not to be offensive to the flag or anthem, knowing that the reactionary response would be that he is somehow anti-american. he chose to kneel because he felt sitting would be disrespectful. i feel like a lot of the venom he receives is the result of reactions to him that are based on outdated information. but don't worry, i'm gonna keep the fire burning. i'm jsut that type of person ;) .

please resume talking about football, world :D

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Liberal, Wackadoo Leftist; considering the context of the conversation it's semantics at that point. I actually gave you the floor on two occasions by asking the very legitimate questions of how is what's happening on NFL sidelines helping us move forward as a society. The culmination was the tired response from you of "you can have the last word" capped off with "convenient". Really? Pretty weak Nancy, pretty weak. I don't think you're malicious or even a bad person but you've done nothing but reinforce my fear of handing my daughter over to the american education system.

And you say he chose to kneel so as to not be disrespectful towards the country. Would you consider his subsequent action of wearing socks depicting police officers as pigs respectful or more importantly helpful to society or was it a lazy, antagonistic act of a shill? And considering he's had absolutely nothing but time on his hands for a good while I'd hope he'd had refined whatever it is he's trying to convey by now. Otherwise I'd genuinely question how he's able to feed himself let alone be the message-bearer of something that he's ill-equipped to take on. (and as of 10/2/17 that hasn't changed)

It's crazy, even before Trump's comments Michael Bennett tried to re-ignite this nonsense on his own by bringing up how he was mistreated by police officers due to being a black man. Turns out the fucking guy ran away from the scene of a shooting & was rightfully detained by police & subsequently let go after he checked out. And the whole thing was caught on video. Yeah that had a positive affect on society too :lol: It's just absurdist theater at this point.

But I go back to the crux of my issue with all of this. First, what's the game plan here? How is any of this helping us move forward? The answer is it's not. And I appreciate your kind words in regards to my dad. I brought that up & the fact that my family name was mud to local law enforcement not for any kind of sympathy or even empathy but to just emphasize the point that people from all walks of life have odds stacked against them to varying degrees. But if people continually focus on that & use it as an excuse to not better themselves & their respective situations than they're perpetuating victim-hood thus subsequently holding all of us back as a society. And thats exactly what you and anyone else supporting this rampant nonsense is doing.

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm

He didn't even respond to my post.
:roll:

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm

and while i don't like using animal references for negativity, fuck whatever fascist police uphold our culture of racism and oppression; i didn't really mind the socks in and of themselves. i know a lot of other people who didn't mind either. hag, you have nothing to worry about; there are no white kids in my school, so i doubt i'll have occasion to teach your daughter about things like compassion and awareness, passion, interest, and the world. you can bet your ass, however, that no student that passes through my class in 25 years has ever come away with any sort of sense of victimization, entitlement, or passive, lazy, idleness. i'm teaching people to know themselves, their history, and their potential, so fuck you and your assumptions about that (yeah, that touched a nerve there, i won't lie; you don't know shit). i work with people who, whether you believe or not, or appreciate the actual reasons for it, are earmarked for poverty and incarceration, and are surrounded by violence and turmoil. i'm in the middle of that, daily motherfuckers, doing everything i can to break that cycle, to provide a safe space, and impart tools, coping strategies, patience, and, oh yes, an academic education that is necessary to have actual options, despite this golden land of opportunity and the lie that those opportunities are equally available for all and no one experiences the effects of racism, hate, and ignorance. y'all's arguments are basically the same, and your perceptions of me and this issue are largely based on a sort of narrow interpretation of your own experiences, combined with a lot of putting words in my mouth. you have strong beliefs, as do i. i think we've reached a conversational impasse, don't you?

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 pm

thank you, kansas city!

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Never said racism doesn't exist. And I'm the one who is putting words in your mouth.
Sea Hag wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm
Again, has what's been transpiring on sidelines these last few weeks been bringing us together as a country? What good has come of this? And what conversation are we supposed to be having again?
Sea Hag wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:56 pm
is what's happening on NFL sidelines helping us move forward as a society?

Sea Hag wrote:
First, what's the game plan here? How is any of this helping us move forward?

Still no answer.........

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:53 am

Sea Hag wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm
Again, has what's been transpiring on sidelines these last few weeks been bringing us together as a country? What good has come of this? And what conversation are we supposed to be having again?
listen to sports radio, the news, on the street. ALL i hear is conversation about this topic, about it's various shades, police brutality, racism, patriotism. there's lots of conversations coming out of this, which is a beautiful thing. these are subjects that need to be discussed, even if messily. and they are.
Sea Hag wrote:
is what's happening on NFL sidelines helping us move forward as a society?

yes, from my perspective. i believe activism is extremely important. even though he's an idiot, the nfl has clearly gotten the president's attention, and the attention of many others.
Sea Hag wrote:
First, what's the game plan here? How is any of this helping us move forward?
it's getting people to think about something that they think may not directly affect them, which is very important. it's getting a topic discussed that affects people who feel (and are) disenfranchised. again, i can only speak from my perspective, but my colleagues, folks in washington, d.c., local sports radio, espn, national news outlets, this is being discussed. i was at baltimore comicon last weekend, and many people were talking about it, and not just to defend or decry, but to try and understand. i think it's a good. it seems that you don't think the conversation has been productive, but i do, hence my position on the conversation being productive, important, meaningful. it's happening. it wasn't happening as broadly before kaepernicks actions. these conversations help to foment understanding--and yes, distill anger and frustration--and bring us closer to making change, both within ourselves and externally. i feel like i've said these things throughout this laborious discussion, but they don't seem to resonate with you, which is perfectly okay. i hope that these are answers enough for you to at least understand my position, whether you agree with it/take it seriously or not. these are the reasons i think this is a good thing.