The Official 2015 NFL Season Thread

If you really want to talk about sports, do it here.
RayPuresoul
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Re: The Official 2015 NFL Season Thread

Post by RayPuresoul » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Sea Hag wrote:
RayPuresoul wrote:I'd still take Favre over Manning by a healthy margin.
I would too.
He sure as shit outplayed Elway in Super Bowl XXXII.

Yeah but Favre was in his absolute prime and Elway was in his 15th season. Big difference..
The ridiculous idiotic interceptions are something that happened in the 2nd half of his career after 2000.
Not really though. In 98 he threw 31 td & 23 int. Not the best ratio. The following year he threw more picks than he did TDs. (22td/23int) 1994 - 1997 was the sweet spot of his career where he consistently put up great numbers. Funnily enough though his best statistical season was in 09 with the Vikings. They were the team that should've won the super bowl that year but we all know how that season ended. Classic Favre throwing across his body only to get picked and cost his team the game.

He's another guy who I'd rank behind alot of quarterbacks when it comes to all-time rankings. I confidently would already rank Rodgers ahead of him. As far as his contemporaries I'd rank Young, Marino, Elway, Brady & Roethlisberger ahead of him too.

I'm well aware of the dip after the sweet spot of his career in the mid-nineties. And yeah everybody knows how the Vikings coughed that game up. Still Young ahead of Favre? It's a resounding no for me on that one. How loaded did that 9ers team stay? Rice and Taylor to throw to and Watters and Hearst to hand off to while Favre's backfield mates were Edgar Bennett and fuck if I know. Meanwhile Favre made many jabronies into superstars the way Rodgers currently does; Robert Brooks after Sterling Sharpe's career is cut short. Antonio Freeman was a nice receiver too but Favre maxed him out as well. I mean the Packers had a nice two-headed tight end monster going with Chmura and Jackson but their weapons were nothing compared to those 9ers. Oh yeah, Young got to throw to a budding T.O. too. Yeah, the numbers are too goddamn pretty to ignore with Young, but there just seemed something so finesse and fruity about him when he was compiling a losing playoff record against the Cowboys and Packers; 2-5 with baby nuts numbers.

Now to be fair, I'm not forgetting that when Favre finally did have a superstar back to work with in Ahman Green yes, he did piss those opportunities away but personally I'd still take him over Young.

Marino? I agree; better.
Elway? Also better.

You know how I feel about Aaron Rodgers who was almost demoted to mere mortal status this past season after he couldn't make chicken salad out of chickenshit with those subpar receivers. But then with the back-to-back Hail Mary's to tie the Wild Card, he proved that he was still God. (Of course, in an ironic twist of fate, actual God decided Rodgers wouldn't even get the ball in overtime as he caused the Packers defenders to go full blown retard and forget Larry Fitzgerald was even on the goddamned field.) :evil:

Big Ben? Yeah, he'll play for another five years but I have him and Favre pretty equal at this point as all-timers. While Big Ben hasn't compiled the dumb fuck epic fail moments in his postseason career (except for the worst Super Bowl performance by a winning QB*) there's been a chasm since the Steelers last made the Super Bowl after 2010 winning one playoff game in five seasons; which oddly has coincided with Big Ben's numbers booming.

Of course, there's the natural reaction to how close Big Ben was to being a three-time Super Bowl Champion and how Favre only ended up with one measly ring following his sixth season with thirteen more ringless seasons to follow. *The reason I put an asterisk beside Big Ben's awful Super Bowl winning performance is that however you slice it he's a guy that deserves to have two Super Bowl rings considering how late in the game they still had the lead against the Packers. It's the same thing I do with Brady who gets a bunch of bullshit credit for his first Super Bowl win where he actually fumbled to lose his first playoff start and wasn't even anything more than a bus driver besides that lucky break. However when you consider that his defenses relinquished the lead twice with under two minutes left to Eli fucking Manning Brady still should easily have four Super Bowl rings by virtue of the position he put his team in to win those Super Bowls they ended up losing.

Back to Big Ben/Favre, you kind of have to assume Big Ben will get one more or at least make it back to another Super Bowl considering he should play another five quality seasons. But if things never lined up and he had that big gulf in playoff success between his peak and later years I don't think it's as cut and dry between a guy like him and Favre. I guess there's the easy one of who would you want to have the ball last but Super Bowl or not that was only the bygod Cardinals; a pretty awful defense who were 28th in points allowed that season. I'm not diminishing what Big Ben did putting together one of the great game-winning drives in the big game but simply stating that is the meat of Big Ben's postseason late game heroics; but I hear you, man; much better than Favre's late game brainfreezes.

I'll assume Big Ben will have one more run to put distance between him and Favre. Until then, I'd barely take Favre if for nothing else.....durability. Big Ben misses a pretty good chunk of games for the kind of monster he is playing the position and I know how often that is due to the Steelers O-line being a sieve but still.

Sea Hag
Fresh Kill
Fresh Kill

Post by Sea Hag » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:04 am

RayPuresoul wrote:Yeah, the numbers are too goddamn pretty to ignore with Young, but there just seemed something so finesse and fruity about him when he was compiling a losing playoff record against the Cowboys and Packers; 2-5 with baby nuts numbers.

Now to be fair, I'm not forgetting that when Favre finally did have a superstar back to work with in Ahman Green yes, he did piss those opportunities away but personally I'd still take him over Young.
When I think of Young the word "finesse" doesn't come to mind at all. He's one of the most courageous players to ever play the position. That dude had balls. He had some of the most epic runs in NFL history. No quarterback combined running and throwing as well as Young. Well I guess you could put Rodgers up there with him in that respect as well but Young was more prone to take on defenders than simply sliding to avoid a tackle. When I think of Steve Young I think of this play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPwwmEcws0

I guess there's the easy one of who would you want to have the ball last but Super Bowl or not that was only the bygod Cardinals; a pretty awful defense who were 28th in points allowed that season. I'm not diminishing what Big Ben did putting together one of the great game-winning drives in the big game but simply stating that is the meat of Big Ben's postseason late game heroics; but I hear you, man; much better than Favre's late game brain freezes.
Don't forget the way he played in the three road playoff games leading up to Super Bowl XL.

As for the 08 Cardinals you can throw the regular season stats out the window. It wasn't just the Warner to Fitzgerald connection that was lighting teams up that team as a whole was absolutely on fire in that postseason. Guys like Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby were playing out of their minds. It's just like the Colts in 06 where their defense was pedestrian to shit in the regular season but caught on in the playoffs.
I'll assume Big Ben will have one more run to put distance between him and Favre. Until then, I'd barely take Favre if for nothing else.....durability. Big Ben misses a pretty good chunk of games for the kind of monster he is playing the position and I know how often that is due to the Steelers O-line being a sieve but still.
Honestly man I haven't been this excited for a Steelers team in the offseason since the 2010 season. If Antonio Brown plays and their 3rd string running back doesn't fumble the Broncos are not the super bowl champs.

They are absolutely loaded and ready to go on offense and their front seven is way better than average, it's downright formidable. They need to add a piece to their secondary through free agency. Of course they will through the draft but this is a win now team and they need a veteran player that won't have the learning the curve a rookie would. (eric weddle would be a dream addition) No team got hit with injuries as much and as bad as the Steelers did last season and even with that look at how far they got. Ben misses practically half the season, Beachum (left tackle) done for the year, Leveon Bell played only 6 games, Pouncey done for the year in the preseason, Martavis Bryant misses the first 4 games due to suspension. If they could sustain even a 1/4 less worth of injuries they'd be in great shape.

You brought up Favre not having the best weapons and that's absolutely true. I think Ron Wolf has gone on record saying his biggest regret was not surrounding Favre with better weapons. The Steelers have done a great job of surrounding Ben with weapons and like you said he still has some prime years left. Exciting time to be a Steelers fan :mrgreen:

And I can't wait for the schedules to be released. Steelers vs Cowboys 2016 :D

Freddy_Lives
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Freddy_Lives » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 pm

Jaguars making all these signings

I wonder how many will be busts :oops:

I honestly like the Malik Signing I think he can help us right off the bat.

Regardless I think the Jags have FINALLY turned it around.

dpcraigUFF
Not Dead Yet
Not Dead Yet

Post by dpcraigUFF » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:27 pm

I can't wait to see the Texans still not be any good offensively...haha.

Iggy
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by Iggy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm

I like us signing Mario Williams. Better player than Olivier Vernon, and we're getting him cheap.

Hope we can steal C.J. Anderson away from the Broncos.

nancylives!
Rotting Corpse
Rotting Corpse

Post by nancylives! » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:28 am

i really like what dallas is doing in free-agency: very little. and nothing splashy. i think signing alfred morris is a good move, and he'll provide a nice change-up--and depth--with darren mcfadden, who was mostly excellent last year. i also like de benson mayowa from the raiders. dallas seems intent on creating a nice dl rotation, which was our bread and butter in the nineties. stay smart, dallas.