Connect with us

Editorials

Who Here Has Actually Seen ‘The Evil Dead’? It’s A Horror Movie! And It’s Not All About Ash!

Published

on

A couple weeks ago, the stars of the upcoming The Evil Dead remake commented on the tone of the film they’re about to shoot. It seemed to catch a lot of people off guard. Not our piece necessarily, but the fact that the talent involved (along with Bruce Campbell) were talking about a “seriously scary” movie seemed to flummox people.

Another aspect of the upcoming remake that has some people seriously freaking out? No Ash. No Ashley J. Williams. No Bruce Campbell. No Chin. Now, I love Bruce Campbell. I’ve seen Evil Dead 2 literally dozens of times. Which is why I think it’s a good thing he’s not in this movie.

You may think you want Ash in the remake too. But you don’t. Not really. Why? Because it’s a remake of The Evil Dead. Not Evil Dead 2. And there’s a huge difference.

Ash is not the embodiment of the original film. And humor’s not really a huge component either.

Hit the jump to read on.

In 1981, The Evil Dead intended to scare and shock. That tree rape is, and is supposed to be, horrific. That’s the intent, even if the success of the tone is a mixed bag. I think that Raimi’s at-the-time experimental camera work is often the sword upon which the perception of that tone falls. Some of the shots are so ambitious and self-conscious that they come across as comedic. And while comedy may have been a component of their design, it wasn’t 100% the desired end result. I’m not saying the whole thing is intended to be humorless – it’s a smart film that winks at the conventions of its genre, but that genre is most certainly horror.

The Evil Dead takes way more time in setting up its characters than its followup. Notice that the word “character” is pluralized. There are four other major players that aren’t Ash – Cheryl, Linda, Scott and Shelly. Elements in the sequel that are exaggerated and out of nowhere – such as the bridge being blown out – are actually set up in the first act of this film. It’s an entirely different, much more grounded experience. There’s no laughing lamps, no dancing nude bodies, no vortex, no rotating Ash flying through the woods. And even though it may use less buckets of blood than its more famous younger sibling – it feels twice as brutal. Even if Ash keeps his hand.

When the time came to make the sequel – six years had passed. And I get the feeling that Raimi was more interested in examining and celebrating the weaknesses of his original work than he was in revisiting its actual mindset. Which could be why Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness have that madcap “Looney Tunes” aesthetic that is almost completely absent from the 1981 film. In essence – Evil Dead 2 is a spoof of The Evil Dead. I’m not saying the sequel isn’t awesome – it is. I’m not saying it doesn’t count as horror – it does. But tonally, it’s about almost as night and day different as Hot Shots is from Top Gun.

When people walked out of the premiere of the original Evil Dead on October 15th, 1981 in Detroit, Michigan – I’m willing to bet what the first thing on their tongues wasn’t. Bruce Campbell. Sure, he’s the hero of the film. Yes, even back then he displayed a great deal of charisma. But this wasn’t a one person show a la Evil Dead 2 and there were other cast members to account for. But none of them were really the stars either. The star of Evil Dead? The film itself. I’m not saying this to detract from any of the casts’ contributions to the film or Campbell’s deserved legacy and iconic status – I’m just saying none of them were the identity of the movie.

Ash is certainly a character in The Evil Dead. He even turns out to be the hero (albeit in a much more toned-down manner than in the subsequent films). The setup was a standard ensemble ‘Cabin In The Woods’ film. Structurally, it’s essentially a slasher movie – but with demons, possession and rapey trees in place of a guy with a knife. Sure, Ash becomes the hero and takes on the demons – but that’s what happens at the end of every slasher movie. He’s not a superhero in this one.

What is the identity of Evil Dead? The tone. The effects. The gore. The spirit. The invigorating roaming POV shots. The fact that the demons hang in the air like tortured marionettes. The fact that, instead of holding back on its meager budget, the film went all the way. But it wasn’t necessarily going all the way to make you laugh, it was going all the way to shock and scare you. It’s actually a remarkable achievement given the budget and the age of the crew who pulled it off. When people were walking out of that theater, they weren’t talking about how Ash held a shotgun – they were talking about the experience. The experience was the star.

When you heard that Friday The 13th was being remade, what was more important to you? Bringing back Mrs. Voorhees or bringing back Jason himself? Even though Jason wasn’t in the first film – he’s the identity of that franchise. And if Evil Dead 2 hadn’t taken such a radical left turn – Ash wouldn’t be the identity of this franchise. The tone and experience would be.

So if one were to attempt anything new associated with this brand – offering an updated version of that experience is really the only thing that makes sense. It’s the only thing the producers of the new film – which include Sam Raimi – could even hope to get right. And that’s what Fede Alvarez, Rodo Sayagues and Diablo Cody have all stated as their intent. To bring that insane, f*cked up aesthetic to the screen. Of course the film should have great characters – it just doesn’t matter as much which specific characters they happen to be. It certainly didn’t matter in the 1981 film. No one who walked into that even knew who Bruce Campbell was. And they certainly weren’t expecting him to say “work shed”.

The one thing they for sure wouldn’t get right? Remaking Evil Dead 2. It’s a good thing they’re not even trying. And if they f*ck up The Evil Dead – which could happen – I’ll be as upset as the rest of you.

Let’s just be clear on which film they’re remaking. Not because I’m defending the remake necessarily, but because the existence of the remake has exposed the fact that not that many people have watched the original Evil Dead! And if they have, they’re certainly not remembering it properly.

Don’t you think it deserves better than that? Do me a favor – if you haven’t seen it in the past 10 years, watch it this weekend. Ask your friends who love Evil Dead 2 if they’ve actually seen the original. If they answer “yes”, well, all of this hullabaloo indicates that they’re probably lying. Make them watch it too. It’s a horror movie. With scares. I promise.

Editorials

‘A Haunted House’ and the Death of the Horror Spoof Movie

Published

on

Due to a complex series of anthropological mishaps, the Wayans Brothers are a huge deal in Brazil. Around these parts, White Chicks is considered a national treasure by a lot of people, so it stands to reason that Brazilian audiences would continue to accompany the Wayans’ comedic output long after North America had stopped taking them seriously as comedic titans.

This is the only reason why I originally watched Michael Tiddes and Marlon Wayans’ 2013 horror spoof A Haunted House – appropriately known as “Paranormal Inactivity” in South America – despite having abandoned this kind of movie shortly after the excellent Scary Movie 3. However, to my complete and utter amazement, I found myself mostly enjoying this unhinged parody of Found Footage films almost as much as the iconic spoofs that spear-headed the genre during the 2000s. And with Paramount having recently announced a reboot of the Scary Movie franchise, I think this is the perfect time to revisit the divisive humor of A Haunted House and maybe figure out why this kind of film hasn’t been popular in a long time.

Before we had memes and internet personalities to make fun of movie tropes for free on the internet, parody movies had been entertaining audiences with meta-humor since the very dawn of cinema. And since the genre attracted large audiences without the need for a serious budget, it made sense for studios to encourage parodies of their own productions – which is precisely what happened with Miramax when they commissioned a parody of the Scream franchise, the original Scary Movie.

The unprecedented success of the spoof (especially overseas) led to a series of sequels, spin-offs and rip-offs that came along throughout the 2000s. While some of these were still quite funny (I have a soft spot for 2008’s Superhero Movie), they ended up flooding the market much like the Guitar Hero games that plagued video game stores during that same timeframe.

You could really confuse someone by editing this scene into Paranormal Activity.

Of course, that didn’t stop Tiddes and Marlon Wayans from wanting to make another spoof meant to lampoon a sub-genre that had been mostly overlooked by the Scary Movie series – namely the second wave of Found Footage films inspired by Paranormal Activity. Wayans actually had an easier time than usual funding the picture due to the project’s Found Footage presentation, with the format allowing for a lower budget without compromising box office appeal.

In the finished film, we’re presented with supposedly real footage recovered from the home of Malcom Johnson (Wayans). The recordings themselves depict a series of unexplainable events that begin to plague his home when Kisha Davis (Essence Atkins) decides to move in, with the couple slowly realizing that the difficulties of a shared life are no match for demonic shenanigans.

In practice, this means that viewers are subjected to a series of familiar scares subverted by wacky hijinks, with the flick featuring everything from a humorous recreation of the iconic fan-camera from Paranormal Activity 3 to bizarre dance numbers replacing Katy’s late-night trances from Oren Peli’s original movie.

Your enjoyment of these antics will obviously depend on how accepting you are of Wayans’ patented brand of crass comedy. From advanced potty humor to some exaggerated racial commentary – including a clever moment where Malcom actually attempts to move out of the titular haunted house because he’s not white enough to deal with the haunting – it’s not all that surprising that the flick wound up with a 10% rating on Rotten Tomatoes despite making a killing at the box office.

However, while this isn’t my preferred kind of humor, I think the inherent limitations of Found Footage ended up curtailing the usual excesses present in this kind of parody, with the filmmakers being forced to focus on character-based comedy and a smaller scale story. This is why I mostly appreciate the love-hate rapport between Kisha and Malcom even if it wouldn’t translate to a healthy relationship in real life.

Of course, the jokes themselves can also be pretty entertaining on their own, with cartoony gags like the ghost getting high with the protagonists (complete with smoke-filled invisible lungs) and a series of silly The Exorcist homages towards the end of the movie. The major issue here is that these legitimately funny and genre-specific jokes are often accompanied by repetitive attempts at low-brow humor that you could find in any other cheap comedy.

Not a good idea.

Not only are some of these painfully drawn out “jokes” incredibly unfunny, but they can also be remarkably offensive in some cases. There are some pretty insensitive allusions to sexual assault here, as well as a collection of secondary characters defined by negative racial stereotypes (even though I chuckled heartily when the Latina maid was revealed to have been faking her poor English the entire time).

Cinephiles often claim that increasingly sloppy writing led to audiences giving up on spoof movies, but the fact is that many of the more beloved examples of the genre contain some of the same issues as later films like A Haunted House – it’s just that we as an audience have (mostly) grown up and are now demanding more from our comedy. However, this isn’t the case everywhere, as – much like the Elves from Lord of the Rings – spoof movies never really died, they simply diminished.

A Haunted House made so much money that they immediately started working on a second one that released the following year (to even worse reviews), and the same team would later collaborate once again on yet another spoof, 50 Shades of Black. This kind of film clearly still exists and still makes a lot of money (especially here in Brazil), they just don’t have the same cultural impact that they used to in a pre-social-media-humor world.

At the end of the day, A Haunted House is no comedic masterpiece, failing to live up to the laugh-out-loud thrills of films like Scary Movie 3, but it’s also not the trainwreck that most critics made it out to be back in 2013. Comedy is extremely subjective, and while the raunchy humor behind this flick definitely isn’t for everyone, I still think that this satirical romp is mostly harmless fun that might entertain Found Footage fans that don’t take themselves too seriously.

Continue Reading