Connect with us

Movies

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo Leaves Rapture, No Longer Directing ‘Bioshock’

Published

on

For my money, “Bioshock” is the best that the modern gaming era has to offer. Even though its sequel was incredibly disappointing, I can’t wait for “Bioshock Infinite”, primarily because it marks the return of Ken Levine to the franchise. One thing we may never be getting is the Bioshock movie. And to be honest, I’m increasingly fine with that. The first game is so perfect that I’m beginning to believe that a film depiction of that world could only disappoint.

When the initial incarnation of the Bioshock film was announced at Universal with Gore Verbinski at the helm, I was incredibly excited. Verbinski is nothing if not an incredibly talented visual stylist. But the Hard-R rating it would require combined with the fact that it would cost hundreds of millions to produce wound up stalling the project for so long that Verbinski stepped aside as a director (though he remains a producer) and they hired Juan Carlos Fresnadillo. The aim at the time was also very much on a more cost-friendly adaptation of the game. But that incarnation seems to have bitten the dust as well.

Fresnadillo told The Playlist, “To be honest, by now, I’m completely out of that, and developing other stuff. Right now it’s on hold. The studio and the videogame company, they have to reach some kind of agreement about the budget and the rating.

Per the usual, Ken Levine isn’t in any hurry either. Last year he stated, “We got very close to having it get made – we had a deal in place and a director. But for us there’s no burning [desire] to have a movie made just to get it made,” Levine stressed. “For us and for Take-Two, it’s really got to be something that will a) give the fans something that they want, and b) for those who don’t know ‘Bioshock,’ really introduce them to something that is consistent with the game, and is it going to be a good representation of the game.

What do you think? Do you want the “Bioshock” movie to happen or are you content with the games?

Movies

‘Drop’ – Violett Beane Joins the Cast of Christopher Landon’s New Thriller

Published

on

Pictured: Violett Beane in 'Death and Other Details' (2024)

Christopher Landon (Happy Death Day, Freaky) is staying busy here in 2024, directing not only the werewolf movie Big Bad but also an upcoming thriller titled Drop.

The project for Blumhouse and Platinum Dunes is being described as a “fast-paced thriller,” and Deadline reports today that Violett Beane (Truth or Dare) has joined the cast.

Newcomer Jacob Robinson has also signed on to star in the mysterious thriller. Previously announced, Meghann Fahy (“White Lotus”) will be leading the cast.

Landon recently teased on Twitter, “This is my love letter to DePalma.”

Jillian Jacobs and Chris Roach wrote the script.

Michael Bay, Jason Blum, Brad Fuller and Cameron Fuller — “who brought the script in to Platinum Dunes” — are producing the upcoming Drop. Sam Lerner is an executive producer.

THR notes, “The film is a Platinum Dunes and Blumhouse production for Universal.”

Continue Reading