Connect with us

Movies

Stephenie Meyer Talks How ‘Twilight’ Almost Didn’t Happen

Published

on

The popularity of the Twilight books is a complete mystery to it’s author, Stephenie Meyer. She originally wrote it for herself, a 29-year-old mother of three, but it’s no mystery to the hundreds of thousands of fans. The popularity of the book series is so huge that even we were compelled to cover the film here at Bloody Disgusting. While we know it’s not a straight up horror film, it does have vampires, and some bloodletting. TWILIGHT may be a nice gateway for a younger generation of horror fans, something dark to pique people’s interests. With that, we went to the press junket for the film TWILIGHT, which opens in theaters this Friday, November 21st. Meyer was her usual charming self, re-answering questions that hundreds of fan websites have covered.
A few years back Meyer sold the rights for the movie to a different company, she realized that they we not going to do the book justice, and almost didn’t renew the rights to anyone.

It was a horrifying experience, I had realized that it could go wrong, and that it could be done badly, that they would do something that had nothing to do with the [original] story, that was shocking to me.

The book and film are about a high school girl named Bella falls in love with a vampire. The new couple leads a rival vampire clan to pursue them and attempt to force her to decide if she, too, wishes to become one of the undead.

When Summit wanted the rights, Meyer was wary but agreed after getting it in writing that they had to stick to the fundamental elements of the story.

Tthe vampires have to have the same basic rules as the vampire world I’ve created, which means no fangs, no costumes, they have to sparkle in the sunlight, the characters have to exist by their present names and you can’t kill anyone that doesn’t die in the book.

When she was finally able to screen the final product she explains, “So many scenes looked the way I had envisioned them, it was partially creepy and partially wonderful. … I think the acting in this movie is something special.

An interesting note was about how much involvement she had with the screenplay. The filmmakers and the company behind the film at Summit asked for her input on the script, they incorporated about 90% of her notes.

One thing I insisted on keeping true to the book is “the lion and lamb” line,” Meyer tells us at the junket where she revealed even more. “I actually think that the way Melissa [Rossenburg] wrote it sounded better for the movie, it was just a little more relaxed, but the problem is that that line is actually tattooed on people’s bodies, which I don’t approve of by the way…“She continues, “If you take that line and change it, that’s a potential backlash situation.

The Fans in this case were certainly helping Meyer in her decision-making, but what is it about vampires that so many people are connecting with? Meyer explains her theory.

I am not a vampire fan, and never have been. I don’t do horror, I’m an enormous scaredy cat, Hitchcock is about as much as I can handle, and I love it, but anything more then that and you’re not going to see me in the theater. It’s widely out of character for me to write about them [vampires].

Besides myself, it seems that everybody really loves to be scared, in a controlled environment, horror movies do really well, it’s a big industry, people read a lot of scary books, I’m just missing that gene.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Movies

Matilda Firth Joins the Cast of Director Leigh Whannell’s ‘Wolf Man’ Movie

Published

on

Pictured: Matilda Firth in 'Christmas Carole'

Filming is underway on The Invisible Man director Leigh Whannell’s Wolf Man for Universal and Blumhouse, which will be howling its way into theaters on January 17, 2025.

Deadline reports that Matilda Firth (Disenchanted) is the latest actor to sign on, joining Christopher Abbott (Poor Things),  Julia Garner (The Royal Hotel), and Sam Jaeger.

The project will mark Whannell’s second monster movie and fourth directing collaboration with Blumhouse Productions (The Invisible Man, Upgrade, Insidious: Chapter 3).

Wolf Man stars Christopher Abbott as a man whose family is being terrorized by a lethal predator.

Writers include Whannell & Corbett Tuck as well as Lauren Schuker Blum & Rebecca Angelo.

Jason Blum is producing the film. Ryan Gosling, Ken Kao, Bea Sequeira, Mel Turner and Whannell are executive producers. Wolf Man is a Blumhouse and Motel Movies production.

In the wake of the failed Dark Universe, Leigh Whannell’s The Invisible Man has been the only real success story for the Universal Monsters brand, which has been struggling with recent box office flops including the comedic Renfield and period horror movie The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Giving him the keys to the castle once more seems like a wise idea, to say the least.

Wolf Man 2024

Continue Reading