Last October, Kino Lorber brought George Pavlou’s Clive Barker adaptation Rawhead Rex to Blu-ray for the very first time, boasting a brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative. That was a US release, and it’s now headed to the UK.
Arrow Video announced today that Rawhead Rex will be one of their May titles for the United Kingdom, set for release on May 14 and also boasting a 4K restoration.
“Adapted for the screen by acclaimed horror writer Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Nightbreed) from his short story of the same name, Rawhead Rex sees a hulking, ancient demon tearing a bloody swathe across the Irish countryside.”
Special Edition contents include:
• Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Uncompressed Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary with director George Pavlou, moderated by author Stephen Thrower
• Call Me Rawhead – an interview with actor Heinrich von Bünau
• What the Devil Hath Wrought – an interview with actor Ronan Wilmot
• Rawhead FX – featurette bringing together interviews with creature effects artists Peter Mackenzie Litten and John Schroonraad, special effects supervisor Gerry Johnson, second unit cameraman Sean Corcoran and make-up artist Rosie Blackmore
• Interview with cameraman Sean Corcoran
• Rawhead Rising – artist Stephen R. Bissette on the aborted Rawhead Rex graphic novel adaptation
• Animated behind-the-scenes image gallery
• Original Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Wes Benscoter
Also, for the first pressing only, a booklet featuring writing on the film by Kat Ellinger.
“When an unsuspecting farmer pulls up a stone column embedded in a barren field, he accidentally unleashes hell by freeing Rawhead Rex – a hulking monster that has been trapped there for thousands of years. With the seemingly unstoppable demon rampaging through the local village, American historian Howard Hallenbeck is faced with the task of putting Rawhead back in the ground for good.
The first of several films to be adapted from Barker’s seminal Books of Blood series, Rawhead Rex has garnered a strong cult following over the years – now clawing its way to the surface in a stunning new 4K restoration from the original camera negative.”