The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Franchise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vampira_Re-Animated View Post
    The seriousness of the remake kind of ruined it for me a little. If Leatherface was a little more goofy and the characters a little more out there then it probably be great. I felt like it was played too safe. In the other movies, I could be convinced they were crazy but in this one they just seemed like cranky old people. XD
    I agree. The concept is so bizarre that you have to have a little fun with Leatherface and his family. The new one was too serious and tried to hard to be artistic because it had a really dumbed-down script and nothing new was really added at all. Not a fan of the remakes, which I consider another film franchise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heathen View Post
      It is more in line with the sporadic comedy people erroneously associate with the laugh-every-other-minute orig. The remake's comedy is darker than anything before it.

I have never done drugs and I never will. I was even the best student in the D.A.R.E. program back in the 80s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knife of the Party View Post
        nothing new was really added at all.
        ...other than half the script.

Comment

• Originally posted by capecep View Post
          blah blah blah

The scariness in the original comes from the atmosphere and the grimy look of the film - it's the constant feeling of dread that makes the original unsurpassed. In the remake this feels synthetic and forced.
          Not only that, it's the subtext of how animals are slaughtered for food. By showing humans being treated like animals, killed like animals and having their bones made into furniture and clothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by CountOrlok View Post
            Not only that, it's the subtext of how animals are slaughtered for food. By showing humans being treated like animals, killed like animals and having their bones made into furniture and clothing.
            Yes. And to add to my issues with the remake: The original was inspired by the Ed Gein murders and others. It used those events and played off of suburban fear of rural folk to make it's glimpse into redneck hell. The remake is basically a caricature of the film, not any event. It exaggerates and exaggeration and removes more of the reality of it. It's a little tense and scary, I don't hate it, but it's more of a funhouse ride than the truly creepy original.

Just an example - look at the little kid in TCM 03, he looks like a hollywood interpretation of a backwoods boy with his dollar store bubba teeth. Lame. Then look at the kid in Deliverance. This is what I'm getting at, it's very removed from reality. The whole remake is like that.
            Last edited by Dr. McStuffin; 02-14-2012, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Yes. And to add to my issues with the remake: The original was inspired by the Ed Gein murders and others. It used those events and played off of suburban fear of rural folk to make it's glimpse into redneck hell. The remake is basically a caricature of the film, not any event. It exaggerates and exaggeration and removes more of the reality of it. It's a little tense and scary, I don't hate it, but it's more of a funhouse ride than the truly creepy original.
              100% agreed!

Comment

Just an example - look at the little kid in TCM 03, he looks like a hollywood interpretation of a backwoods boy with his dollar store bubba teeth. Lame. Then look at the kid in Deliverance. This is what I'm getting at, it's very removed from reality. The whole remake is like that.
                That kid was rather silly. I wholly disagree with the statement that if something is unrealistic, it's automatically unscary. If anything, realism should be less scary, as it's so familiar to everyone who reads the daily news. There's no fear of the possibilities when we know EXACTLY what they are.

Comment

That kid was rather silly. I wholly disagree with the statement that if something is unrealistic, it's automatically unscary. If anything, realism should be less scary, as it's so familiar to everyone who reads the daily news. There's no fear of the possibilities when we know EXACTLY what they are.
                  I wasn't making a broad generalization. I was saying specifically that the original is scarier because it's more organic. The handheld filming and the rawness makes it feel genuinely creepy. Real blood and carcasses litter the set. The remake is an overproduced and glossy strip mall Halloween horror house, a little scary, but oh so synthetic.

Another thing that really bothered me about the remake is they failed to include the dinner scene, which to me, is the most intense moment of the film. When we see Sally's eyes close-up, they are darting around as she screams hysterically. She and the audience don't know exactly what hellish fate is in store for her. It's fucking awesome. How Kosar failed to include that scene is beyond me.

Finally, the baby rescue sub-plot, it completely fails to generate any tension.
                  Erin could have rescued a rock and the impact would have been the same. I find it really weird they created and simultaneously failed their own possibility. They could have done anything with this, including having Leatherface capturing the baby and eating it's fingers off one by one. But, alas, it's a weak attempt to generate some melodrama and another reason why the remake is no match for the OG.

Comment

• Heathen: The Armond White of Bloody-Disgusting.

Comment

• Eh, I prefer the TCM remake to the original.

Comment

The remake is an overproduced and glossy strip mall Halloween horror house, a little scary, but oh so synthetic.
                        I'd say that about most horror made in the last 20 years. It lost the gritty feel that the 70s and 80s had.

Comment

• Originally posted by black coffee View Post
                          Heathen: The Armond White of Bloody-Disgusting.
                          YES!
                          57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

There's no fear of the possibilities when we know EXACTLY what they are.
                            According to your logic then, the unfamiliar is scarier than the familiar? That implies that the UNKNOWN is the most terrifying thing of all. Wasn't it you that said there must be an OBJECT to fear, or in other words a familiarity?
                            Soon as you know what something is, it's familiar.

Tag, you're it.

Comment

Wow. I don't see a tonal chasm between the first two Chainsaws. The first has numerous comedic moments, thanks to Franklin's antics, the Old Man (his hysterial lines and stick-poking fun), and of course the lively grandparents. The TCM remake was infinitely scarier than the orig.
                              The original was groundbreaking cinema at the time, and still is for me. The remake is the MTV generation version of the original masterpiece. I LOVED how campy and completely off the wall the original is, and the remake takes itself sooooooo seriously that It's hard to find any enjoyment out of it.

Comment

According to your logic then, the unfamiliar is scarier than the familiar? That implies that the UNKNOWN is the most terrifying thing of all. Wasn't it you that said there must be an OBJECT to fear, or in other words a familiarity?
                                Soon as you know what something is, it's familiar.

Tag, you're it.
                                57 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

Working...
                                X