Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zitadelle
    Hey man I asked this same question a few weeks ago, and I can tell you the answer is yes. If you go to best buy you can pick up the set for 23.99 (my friend works there so I got it for 20 bucks after tax). It is definatly worth it. I watched the first movie last night, the entire thing is pretty funny as far as cheese goes, but the ending... these guys are crazy. If you watch that thing alone in the dark the twist will get you. I kenw what was coming, and still found it to be very unsettling. Then i booted up the 2nd one, which I'm about halfway through. It's a self parody, nothing special. I get the biggest kick out of the f/x which were considered the best when this thing was made.
    I was beginning to think I was the only one here to like these movies. I grew up with these so I guess that's why their special to me. Yes they are cheesy as hell, but there's nothing like a GOOD cheesy 80's horror flick. The first is classic, the second one is fun and the bitchy chick is soooo hot. The third is so, so.

Also Bruce Spingsteen's kid sister, Pamela plays the part of Angela in 2 & 3.
    "Wait until I find Satan and he drags you off to hell....then we'll see who's laughing"

Comment

Sleepaway Camp...and the test of time

Say what you will...These films have a hell of a following. They were all three a huge success on straight to video format and have warented a best selling DVD set...They have also warrented another sequel which finished filming quite some time ago and which is slated for release this year. Most of the origional cast from the first film are back in this one too...

Yes, these films are 80's cheese, but they are a load of fun and I highly suggest watching them...Besides...wasnt stv cheese what the 1980's were all about?

Comment

yeah, i pretty much love the first one. LOVE it. it is a terrible movie and so incredibly campy that it seems deliberate, but maybe it is...and frankly, i think it was pretty unique for its time. some definite similarities to friday the 13th, but just because they are both about campers being murdered. the ending is my favorite thing to show unsuspecting friends. even if you're already wondering about angela's childhood throughout, nothing prepares you for the weird, random last 20 seconds. it's so great seeing that bitchy camp counselor that looks like she's really about 35 years old finally die. angela's aunt is a freaking nutjob, too. super fun all around!

Comment

I really enjoyed the first one a lot and thought it was unique. I never knew so many ppl hated it on here. And why do people always call this movie a Friday The 13th ripoff? Just because its take place at camp it's automatically a ripoff?

Comment

Originally posted by Ctrice
            . And why do people always call this movie a Friday The 13th ripoff? Just because its take place at camp it's automatically a ripoff?
            Youre telling me Friday the 13th didnt inspire this piece of shit? Everybody wanted to cash in on slashers in the early 80s. Friday the 13th was a huge success and theres no doubt that due to that, it inspired it. Everybody wanted a piece of the pie.

Dont kid yourself.
            Last edited by ColdCase; 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM.

Comment

well, i'd say without a doubt that friday the 13th made the camp theme popular, but sleepaway camp is no ripoff. like i said, the only thing they have in common is camp and a murderer.

Comment

i thought it was pretty boring...until the end, you will either laugh your ass off or sit there frozen in shock at the end, u wont c it comin

Comment

Its one of my favorite 80's slashers. It took me a while to actually love it. The final scene shocked the hell out of me. Is one of those endings that you would never guess. that final shot is terrifying!

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

Nah part 1 isn't a rip off of F13 but part 2 sures hell is well its more of homages to other horror movies such as freddy, jason etc etc thats whats so great about these movies they know their shit and not afraid to show or admit it

Comment

They are entertaining films,the so bad is good kind of movies,the first one has a WTF twist that almost made me throw up.

Comment

I saw all of these on Showtime last year I think. I liked the first 2, but part 3 failed to entertain me. I heard that there making a part 4. Hopefully it will be good, if it comes out.

Comment

..just seen the first which is not my favorite slasher....

Comment

Sleepaway inspired by Friday inspired by Twitch

Originally posted by ColdCase
                            Youre telling me Friday the 13th didnt inspire this piece of shit? Everybody wanted to cash in on slashers in the early 80s. Friday the 13th was a huge success and theres no doubt that due to that, it inspired it. Everybody wanted a piece of the pie.

Dont kid yourself.

It is true that Sleepaway Camp was heavily influenced by Friday the 13th, as were most of the early to mid 80's slasher films. What you might not know is that Friday the 13th was not only inspired by, but admitedly "ripped off" from the Mario Bava film "Twitch the Death Nerve" aka "Bay of Blood" from either 1970 or 71. Sean Cunningham has admited this many of times and even the death sequenced in the first Friday are redo's of those in Twitch...

Comment

Im personally a big fan of this trilogy and Angela Baker is awesome she is so funny!

If You Can't Find A Friend, Make One

Comment

I liked them.It all depends on your taste.I own the box set myself and think its worth it.Maybe rent them first to see what you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X