No announcement yet.

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definently think the first one is worth watching simply because of how cheesy it is. I loved it the first time I had seen it and then went out and picked it up. The box edition would make any night fun as shit and I dont care how many times you see Angela Baker at the end of #1 it is just real unsettling. A tip to all, for extended viewing pleasure, watch when you are a little bit intoxicated ha ha.
    Damn you, vile woman! You've impeded my work since the day I escaped from your wretched womb.

There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her not to be alive anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by killbabykill31
      What you might not know is that Friday the 13th was not only inspired by, but admitedly "ripped off" from the Mario Bava film "Twitch the Death Nerve" aka "Bay of Blood" from either 1970 or 71.
      Im a huge fan of Mario Bava's and i noticed you have the name of one of my favorite movies by Bava. Im well aware of the origin of the slasher movie. Ive been watching horror movies for 25 years now, i do know a thing or two about the genre. Im well aware that slashers originated from the italian giallo. Theres no denying that Twitch of the Death Nerve wrote the blueprint for slashers movies. The thing is, Friday the 13th really amped up the slasher genre and perfected the formula for slashers to come. Friday the 13th was a huge success. The influence for Sleepaway Camp is very obvious. A camp, kids having sex and being killed off in creative ways just oozes Friday the 13th.

Sean Cunningham has admited this many of times and even the death sequenced in the first Friday are redo's of those in Twitch...
      Of course he has. Hes admited it the documentary Mario Bava: Maestro of the Macabre. You want to know the difference between Friday the 13th and Sleepaway Camp? Friday the 13th actually pulled off a good rip off, while Sleepaway is a pathetic and poorly executed rip off. If youre going to rip off a movie.. do it right.
      Last edited by ColdCase; 01-11-2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

I loved the first one,Most 80's slashers were cheese,but i love them too.Angela RAWKS~!!!

Eden Lake -9/10
        Return To Sleepaway Camp- 9/10-"loved the old school feel"plus the return of Angela and Ricky..
        Saw V -8/10
        MBV 3D -9 1/2/ 10
        The Wrestler-10/10

Comment

Originally posted by killbabykill31
          It is true that Sleepaway Camp was heavily influenced by Friday the 13th, as were most of the early to mid 80's slasher films. What you might not know is that Friday the 13th was not only inspired by, but admitedly "ripped off" from the Mario Bava film "Twitch the Death Nerve" aka "Bay of Blood" from either 1970 or 71. Sean Cunningham has admited this many of times and even the death sequenced in the first Friday are redo's of those in Twitch...
          twitch and bay of blood are the same movie? i haven't seen them/it but netflix has both. if they are the same, which should i watch?

Comment

Watch Blood and Black Lace by Bava. Not as high a body count as Twich, but it's totally the first slasher movie. Also, there's always Bloodfeast... that's very slasherish, although not very suspenseful.
            Last edited by pureevilmatt; 01-11-2006, 08:01 PM.
            |Short Film|Horror Blog|Myspace|

Comment

you mean herschell gordon lewis' bloodfeast? classic!

Comment

I like the first and second ones. I thought the third was just bad. No interesting deaths.
                http://dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?c...xxxlilpat18xxx

Comment

Friday the 13th vs. Sleepaway Camp?

Originally posted by ColdCase
                  Im a huge fan of Mario Bava's and i noticed you have the name of one of my favorite movies by Bava. Im well aware of the origin of the slasher movie. Ive been watching horror movies for 25 years now, i do know a thing or two about the genre. Im well aware that slashers originated from the italian giallo. Theres no denying that Twitch of the Death Nerve wrote the blueprint for slashers movies. The thing is, Friday the 13th really amped up the slasher genre and perfected the formula for slashers to come. Friday the 13th was a huge success. The influence for Sleepaway Camp is very obvious. A camp, kids having sex and being killed off in creative ways just oozes Friday the 13th.

Of course he has. Hes admited it the documentary Mario Bava: Maestro of the Macabre. You want to know the difference between Friday the 13th and Sleepaway Camp? Friday the 13th actually pulled off a good rip off, while Sleepaway is a pathetic and poorly executed rip off. If youre going to rip off a movie.. do it right.
                  Sleepaway Camp was influenced by Friday the 13th?....Wow....really?....as if that isnt obvious...But since you are actually using Friday the 13th as a standard to judge other LOW BUDGET and DIRECT TO VIDEO slasher films by....I think I will start judging JESSICA SIMPSON's musical tallent by the standard set by BRAHMS or BEETHOVEN....it wouldnt make much sense to do that would it?

The point is, Sleepaway Camp achieves what it set out to do. It is a very cheesy summer camp slasher series that was mostly direct to video and that was ment to give a person a night of movie rental fun...not HIGH ART...and obviously there is a large following out there who hold the series close to their heart...large enough for Anchor Bay to put together a pretty good DVD set and large enough to justify funding for another sequel.......oh well

I love Sleepaway Camp....and i LOOOVE the Friday the 13th series...I think it is the definative slasher series and will always rank tops in my book....but to even put them in the same catagory long enough to judge them against each other....that's just foolish...

Comment

I saw these flicks when I was a kid and to this day I still wonder how she managed to kill someone with a blunt curling iron.

Comment

yeah it's worth buying the boxset good gore cool kills and a demented killer, lots of sex sounds good to me. think of it as a friday the13th movie with a totally even more demented twist

Comment

i havent seen the first sleepaway camp since i was a kid back in like 86 but i got spooked by the ending it was original. the other 2 were allright but all the campers were like 30. i cant wait to see the new one comin out in a couple months the original angela bakers in it and sos big pussy from the sopranos it dont look to bad.
                        Luca Brasi: Don Corleone, I am honored and grateful that you have invited me to your home on the wedding day of your daughter. And may their first child be a masculine child.
                        [then, starting over]

Comment

Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Spoilers........

Classic 80's slasher goodness with a twist.....transexuals! I always thought this flick wasn't too bad in terms of stalk and slash fare. Sure, some of the deaths are reminiscent of Fthe13th, the characters are hokey, the acting is downright terrible, and the ending leaves much to be desired, but fuck it. It's cheese. It's fun. Talk about it here.....

Comment

It certainly is a classic. The ending really took me by surprise, as intended. Kind of lifted from Psycho III (or was it IV?), in addition to F13th (et al), with the mother raising the son as a female.

I wish I could say the same for the sequels, which I finally saw when AB put the set out, and so inexpensively. They were *campy* and fun, but not quite as enjoyable as the first entry.

Comment

The acting was terrible though.

Comment

It's a b-movie...the bad acting, cheesy story, and ridiculousness of the ending make it as entertaining as it is.

However, I firmly believe, that without THAT ending...it would have been forgotten by now.
                                Check out Film Fanaddict Magazine a new magazine dedicated to Horror, Cult, Exploitation, Martial Arts, Foreign; all forms of Cinema Weirdness.

Comment

Working...
                                X