Gay horror fans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
    Oxley also didn't realize ANOES 2 had a lot of gay subtext until he saw the doc.

He just assumed all mates behaved that way.

Go fuck yourself.
    "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Geek View Post
      Oxley also didn't realize ANOES 2 had a lot of gay subtext until he saw the doc.

He just assumed all mates behaved that way.

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
      I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• i'm not sure what sort of "gay vibes" exist in a post apocalyptic zombie world, but i think setting up a trailer at the far end of a cave and living in relative seclusion and looking after one another and growing emotionally together definitely constitute "gay vibe" to me.

a fantastic queer horror film is creatures from the pink lagoon, which largely apes night of the living dead and fifties b-movies. it's really delightful and super, unabashedly gay.

[YOUTUBE]_51z0cgBwXo[/YOUTUBE]
        2015 song draft

the cramps - surfin dead
        rob zombie - living dead girl
        public image limited - the order of death
        L7 - pretend we're dead
        michale graves - dawn of the dead
        patti smith - dead to the world
        the pixies - dead
        bukka white- fixin to di blues
        omd - forever (live and die)
        bif naked - i died

Comment

• Originally posted by nancylives! View Post
          i'm not sure what sort of "gay vibes" exist in a post apocalyptic zombie world, but i think setting up a trailer at the far end of a cave and living in relative seclusion and looking after one another and growing emotionally together definitely constitute "gay vibe" to me.
          Well the vibe is one thing, but if you're secluded from all of humanity with only your fellow man to provide you company, it's only natural, gay or straight, for you to become emotionally attached, right?

Put "2 Fast 2 Furious" in B&W and Se7en thinks he's watching a Bergman film.
          I find the Metal Gear Solid series to be mediocre at best.

Comment

• They lived out there to distance themselves from the bickering of the Scientists and the Military.. And who can blame them? They weren't there with either of those camps. They just got roped into it because one can fly the Chopper, and the other was a Radio expert.

So, they got out of the chaos and made their own little place, and dressed it up to try and cover up the truth of where they were, and the situation they were in.. Something that is totally normal.

As for the 'Looks' you rely on so much for evidence, I see nothing sexual about them, I see two good mates watching each others back.. Something any two good friends do.

I can imagine all that happens in the army too, those looks, making the best out of the situation, so, by your logic the entire Military Force is gay too?
            "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain

"I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler

You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.

Comment

• i think their emotional attachment is deep, deep enuf to lead to a sort of closeted-ish romance. and yeah, im only going by what i've seen in the same 98 minutes as y'all, but there are moments, particularly when john is going into the compound and bill tells him to watch himself, and then later when john goes into the mine shaft that just seemed a little more than a mate looking out for a mate. it struck me as more a mate looking out for mate. but yes, whatever evidence there is thin, for sure. there was just a certain extra je ne sais quois that i picked-up during a recent viewing, and then it just seemed so obvious.
              2015 song draft

the cramps - surfin dead
              L7 - pretend we're dead
              the pixies - dead
              bif naked - i died

Comment

• Originally posted by oxley View Post
                so, by your logic the entire Military Force is gay too?
                this is definitely the case.
                2015 song draft

the cramps - surfin dead
                L7 - pretend we're dead
                the pixies - dead
                bif naked - i died

Comment

• Originally posted by oxley View Post

I can imagine all that happens in the army too, those looks, making the best out of the situation, so, by your logic the entire Military Force is gay too?

Comment

• Depending on the horror film, I pick up on the gay vibes in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's the homoerotic relationships between the guys in the film (many male victims in slasher movies seem to exhibit this - look at Alfred and Todd at the end of The Burning) and sometimes between the monster and victim. More times than not, I sense a kind of queer undertone through the actual themes of certain films such as teens being bullied in school by their fellow students who notice something 'different' about them such as in Fear No Evil or Carrie, for example.

I often chat about these readings with friends and students on my course, as well. Does anyone else talk about their 'gay readings' with friends or anyone else?
                    Last edited by Scalese89; 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM.
                    "How comes Angela gets to talk to the boys all day, and WE have to play volleyball?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scalese89 View Post
                      Depending on the horror film, I pick up on the gay vibes in a variety of ways. Sometimes it's the homoerotic relationships between the guys in the film (many male victims in slasher movies seem to exhibit this - look at Alfred and Todd at the end of The Burning) and sometimes between the monster and victim. More times than not, I sense a kind of queer undertone through the actual themes of certain films such as teens being bullied in school by their fellow students who notice something 'different' about them such as in Fear No Evil or Carrie, for example.

I often chat about these readings with friends and students on my course, as well. Does anyone else talk about their 'gay readings' with friends anyone else?
                      yes, absolutely. really, one of my favorite elements of horror films is their ability to be subversive, often incidentally, as horror serves as a sort of canary in a coalmine, giving us a pulse of the day. i mean, look, the whole notion of "final girl"--which means, according to carol clover, that the male viewer identifies with a female protagonist in a horror film's final act,--is a serious form of gender confusion and reorientation. so, we already have gender norms thrown out of whack (hooray) and leaving the coast clear for some fun homoerotic issues (not counting the work of victor silva). the fact that many horror films seem, on their surface, to be especially straight, makes it even more awesome.

but this is another part of horror films that makes them awesome. was frankenstein's monster gay? asexual? whatever he was, i think james whale was having a blast fucking with 1930's viewers. horror has always provided a canvas for the exploration of outlier sensibilities.

btw, have you read monsters in the closet: homosexuality in the horror film? it's excellent.

Last edited by nancylives!; 03-28-2014, 01:49 PM.
                      2015 song draft

the cramps - surfin dead
                      L7 - pretend we're dead
                      the pixies - dead
                      bif naked - i died

Comment

• Thanks for the link to that book, nancylives. I'm going to check it out.

Has anyone here watched October Moon? I'm going to give it a chance later this week, wouldn't mind hearing any feedback on it.
                        "It's not the end of the world, it's just the end of the day."

Comment

• Originally posted by nancylives! View Post
                          yes, absolutely. really, one of my favorite elements of horror films is their ability to be subversive, often incidentally, as horror serves as a sort of canary in a coalmine, giving us a pulse of the day. i mean, look, the whole notion of "final girl"--which means, according to carol clover, that the male viewer identifies with a female protagonist in a horror film's final act,--is a serious form of gender confusion and reorientation. so, we already have gender norms thrown out of whack (hooray) and leaving the coast clear for some fun homoerotic issues (not counting the work of victor silva). the fact that many horror films seem, on their surface, to be especially straight, makes it even more awesome.

but this is another part of horror films that makes them awesome. was frankenstein's monster gay? asexual? whatever he was, i think james whale was having a blast fucking with 1930's viewers. horror has always provided a canvas for the exploration of outlier sensibilities.

btw, have you read monsters in the closet: homosexuality in the horror film? it's excellent.

I've read Monsters in the Closet. It's a good book. It neatly captures the ways in which homosexuality and horror share a close relationship in a number of different ways since the classical days of horror. I grew up with slasher films, but these aren't usually discussed as being as 'queer' as classical horror with the work of James Whale, for instance. I've also read Clover's work around horror, gender and the final girl, as well. It's interesting that these issues and debates are being raised in work around horror when many people I've spoken to still consider the genre to be quite 'masculine' - and therefore heterosexual, if you will. Maybe we are more accustomed to spotting the queer undertones of horror?
                          Last edited by Scalese89; 07-22-2014, 06:29 AM.
                          "How comes Angela gets to talk to the boys all day, and WE have to play volleyball?"

Comment

Working...
                          X