Who is your favorite "final Girl"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
    Yeah I totally agree and I'm a big fan of the genre. I think the biggest problem is imitation rather than innovation. Films like Hatchet and the remakes although enjoyable offer nothing new which is why they haven't been embraced like their predecessors.

Horror films offer a safe place to explore and release fear (if done well) and the original Halloweens, F13's etc. came just after Vietnam and horrible events like the Jonestown suicide, as well as the AIDS crises. Nightmare on Elm Street even explored the new America via the mistakes of past America (children suffering consequences of parents actions). Directly remaking/imitating these films doesn't explore the fears of contemporary audiences.

Torture Movies have been embraced as at least they tried to be new and contemporary and came during the fear of terrorism, war in Iraq and internet exposure/desensitization. These movies are going out of fashion as well though so I'm waiting to see what the next innovation is.
    Well said! I like that Hatchet payed homage to 80's slasher flicks but agree with you that it needed to add some new elements to the mix. It's interesting to look at the history of the slasher films/horror and how they sometimes reflect much of the unrest going on in the world around us. They need to go back to hitting our most darkest fears while trying something different in the process. Easier said than done but hope they can get there!

Comment

• Uterine Threat?!?!

I have a uterus and I am NOT afraid to use it!

Comment

• Originally posted by prettyscary View Post
        Uterine Threat?!?!

I have a uterus and I am NOT afraid to use it!

Haha! Believe it or not some theorists claim that horror comes from the fear of women developed centuries ago from Eden betraying God and birth being a "Godly" process that can bring evil into the world. Anti Christ goes with this but so do slashers with killers lurking in dark damp spaces. It's also in The Ring, a TV leaks water and births a soaking wet little girl, the TV remind you of anything?

Comment

• ALSO Love Lori from Freddy vs Jason

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• After watching the original TCM twice over the past couple weeks, I came to realize how amazingly hot Sally is. The best part is that her sexiness isn't exploited. She is simply beautiful and it works without being overdone.

Comment

• Favorite "final girl" is still Nancy Thompson. Even all these years later she's still one of the strongest characters horror movies have ever produced, & she has a plausible beauty to her, a very "girl next door-ish" vibe.

Comment

• Here is my top 5...

#5 Paula (Cutting Class)

#4. Nancy (ANOES 84)

#3. Erin (TCM 2003)

#2. Heather Miller (TCM 3D)

and number one and will always be the greatest horror herione is....

#1. Dana (Cabin in the woods)

Comment

• Juno from Descent. She lived past the end and didn't even get away. She lived with the monsters until she had to save someone else's stupid life with a big ass wound in her leg.

Comment

• Stretch from TCM2. She was a regular person who wanted to have fun solving a crime to further her career, and ended up in way over her head. She was funny, smart enough to take another angle with Leatherface, was a loyal friend and had the best closing scene EVER.

Also, she played Oingo Boingo. Brazos, Stretch. BRAZOS. (Also; I am deeply envious of her legs. Damn.)

Comment

• Mia from Evil Dead!

Comment

• A new modern favorite... Erin from You're Next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Outpost #31 View Post
                            They need to somehow re-invent the slasher or find a way to change it up (which I imagine isn't easy but could be achieved). With CGI coming along it really hurts the slasher flick (IMO). I want practical effects, suspense, surprises, and good scares I still love my 70 and 80's slasher flicks and watch them often.
                            One of the quickest fixes they could implement is to kill different archetypes and let different archetypes live. If you made a solid slasher flick imagine how shocked people would be if the final girl died 2/3 of the way through the movie? How shocked they might be if the not so bright jock killed the killer.

For that matter there was a point in Scream 4 that I almost felt like cheering and that was when Kirby looked like the victim and Sydney was assumed dead and it looked like they were about to end the movie.

Really for slashers I would start making it clear that anyone could live or die. I'm so tired of watching a preview and being able to say who lives and who dies.

Comment

• Ginny from F13th Part 2.

Comment

• Ali Laughter: Final Destination
                                I don't think anyone has mentioned her,
                                Favorite not IMHO Best

Comment

Working...
                                X