Best Slasher films of all time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RosieRogue View Post
    I must get around to watching Black Christmas, I've heard so many good things about it. But I'd never actually heard of it until I joined this board a few weeks ago.
    Th original Black Christmas is a must for any slasher fan. Watch the remake at your peril, though!

Comment

Originally posted by bizarre_eye View Post
      Th original Black Christmas is a must for any slasher fan. Watch the remake at your peril, though!
      That Yellow Bastard.
      54 Hookers and Counting....

Comment

I honestly think Black Christmas is quite overrated. And yes, I know it's just me...I just never understood why everyone finds it to be so frightening. Halloween trumps it as far a truly SCARY slasher is concerned, easily.
        sigpic "The dream you can't escape ALIVE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Cause of Death View Post
          I honestly think Black Christmas is quite overrated. And yes, I know it's just me...I just never understood why everyone finds it to be so frightening. Halloween trumps it as far a truly SCARY slasher is concerned, easily.
          I think it's actually the other way around. I find the atmosphere in Black Christmas to be more gloomy than Halloween. And the fact that Billy was actually in the house all along, moving in the darkness where no one noticed was scarier than Myers who wandered around where u can actually see him. The fact that we never saw Billy (minus his eye in 1 scene) also made it scarier for me, because I kinda find the unseen to be scarier than the seen.

Not only is Black Christmas got my vote for the finest slasher ever, I also consider it to be the best home-invasion horror of all time, far superior than garbage like Funny Games & Ils of course. Wait Until Dark is also another example of home-invasion classic, although I still rate it below BC of course.

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

Comment

I've been a huge slasher fan since childhood and have seen the majority but got the fever to maybe pick up a few more, any recommendations? Preferably more obscure titles. Any 80's set in the woods slashers i'd be interested in especially.

Favorites of mine are;

Halloween franchise
            Black Christmas
            Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise
            Just before Dawn
            Slumber party Massacre
            Hell Night
            Stage fright
            House on sorority Row
            Nightmares in a damaged brain
            Intruder
            Prowler
            Sleepaway camp 1-3

Amazingly I haven't seen My bloody Valentine or Laid to Rest, will look into buying them.

Comment

Maniac is my favorite of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanBrown View Post
                Maniac is my favorite of all time.
                Maniac is really nasty and unsettling which for me makes it kinda hard to enjoy for a slasher. Nightmares in a damaged brain is similar in tone as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight-Kroovy View Post
                  Maniac is really nasty and unsettling which for me makes it kinda hard to enjoy for a slasher. Nightmares in a damaged brain is similar in tone as well.
                  I really love the tone of Maniac, as I like my slashers to be uber dark and gross. The Original Black Christmas is way up there for me, though.

Comment

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
                    John Carpenter's Halloween
                    Friday the 13th Part II
                    A Nightmare On Elm Street
                    Scream
                    Black Christmas
                    (1974)
                    My Bloody Valentine

Just to name a few. And I know some may be wondering why I put F13th part 2 instead of the original. Well, to be honest, looking at the original from both a film-making & fan perspective, it's pretty crappy, & hasn't held up well, whereas part II is everything the original wasn't: suspenseful, had a great villain, definitively establishes who the main character is, has likable characters, etc.

I couldn't ever put the original on a "best [anything]" list because it's very poorly done. It's supposed to be a "whodunit" mystery but eliminates all of the suspects at the very beginning by having everyone in one place while the killer watches, & the film doesn't even bother to at least show Pamela once, she's just thrown in at the end. The "final chase" or fight or whatever looks awful, & poorly staged.

I've always felt that part II deserves much more praise than the original but hey, that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                    X