Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BD Write-Off Discussion Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
    Some quality discussion going on here...
    Originally posted by RyanRomero View Post
    yup
    Welcome to the BD Write-Off Discussion Thread. Maybe if one of the mods could somehow squeeze the word "draft" into the title we'd get a lot more traffic in here.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
      Welcome to the BD Write-Off Discussion Thread. Maybe if one of the mods could somehow squeeze the word "draft" into the title we'd get a lot more traffic in here.
      Nah the drafts didn't generate much traffic neither lol.

      What did you mean by "below the surface", like physically or metaphorically? Lets kick start this fucking discussion by knocking out some of the ideas we don't like.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
        Nah the drafts didn't generate much traffic neither lol.

        What did you mean by "below the surface", like physically or metaphorically? Lets kick start this fucking discussion by knocking out some of the ideas we don't like.
        Willow might need to come in and verify this, but whenever "Below the Surface" has been brought up in the past I always assumed it referred to actual horrors under the earth, buried monstrosities such as The Great Old Ones, Rawhead Rex, graboids, etc...Awful things that are better left hidden away, but are somehow unleashed upon mankind, or are soon to return in a pall of imminent dread.

        Comment


        • Below the Surface is the genre (physical, not mental) of dangers below the ground or water. So like Jaws, Tremors, Attack of the Mole People, C.H.U.D., etc
          I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

          Comment


          • I kind of dig that so long as we don't all have to have the same circumstances or origins for our pieces.

            Have you guys ever done that one in that past?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
              I kind of dig that so long as we don't all have to have the same circumstances or origins for our pieces.

              Have you guys ever done that one in that past?
              Anything that fits the concept. Sharks or any other sea creature, on land, it could be something in a sewer or mine that doesn't even dig.

              Off the top of my head, I think we've had it before.
              I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

              Comment


              • 'Under the Surface' seems fine with me, lot of potential there and can go in numerous different directions.
                http://gorelord84.filmaf.com/

                Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet soup?

                Most people are like slinkies: not really good for anything but you can't help laughing as one falls down the stairs.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                  Anything that fits the concept. Sharks or any other sea creature, on land, it could be something in a sewer or mine that doesn't even dig.

                  Off the top of my head, I think we've had it before.
                  well if it's been done before we should look at other concepts.

                  Off the top of my head I don't have one at the moment but I'll keep thinking on it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
                    well if it's been done before we should look at other concepts.

                    Off the top of my head I don't have one at the moment but I'll keep thinking on it.
                    We do try to rotate a little, but I also don't want to never use something ever again. I usually just limit it to not twice in a row
                    I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                    Comment


                    • I'll throw out some ideas I was working stories around in my head:
                      1. What you think hell or purgatory is like
                      2. Something in the attic or basement
                      3. occupying space with an unknown entity and then meeting that entity

                      There's a few to kick around.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
                        I'll throw out some ideas I was working stories around in my head:
                        1. What you think hell or purgatory is like
                        2. Something in the attic or basement
                        3. occupying space with an unknown entity and then meeting that entity

                        There's a few to kick around.
                        We've bounced around a "Crossroads" theme, selling you're soul and then whatever follows, trying getting out of it, or whatever you may imagine. A story in hell or other non-Earth afterlife location/plane could be interesting

                        Attic or Basement would be valid under the Beneath the Surface, since it's what's "hidden"

                        We have Space/Space Station as a theme, including planets so long as it includes space itself.
                        I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                        Comment


                        • That crossroads theme is solid.

                          I guess when I said basement or attic I was thinking more along the lines of something being there but not really delving into why it is there, which I kind of think is different from the beneath the surface theme.

                          When I think of beneath the surface I think of something being awakened etc, with the one I proposed it is just there. Probably being a little nitpicky though.

                          Space isn't really my jam but I'm sure I could come up with something if that is the route we decided to go.

                          Comment


                          • We also pick 3 themes so people have some choice as to how to approach their ideas
                            I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                              Below the Surface is the genre (physical, not mental) of dangers below the ground or water. So like Jaws, Tremors, Attack of the Mole People, C.H.U.D., etc
                              Originally posted by lightzonlycast View Post
                              • Desperation
                              • Acceptance of Inner Darkness
                              • Confusion
                              • Feelings of Imprisonment
                              I think these are all good. As much as I appreciate the discussion here to give everyone some say. I think the real competition would be if Willowfang would pick the perimeters of the contest and thus push us all to write within them.

                              Comment


                              • Sorry I didn't get to this yesterday, we'll still get 6 weeks tho, 21 days.

                                In general, any stories left over from last Springs Write-Off can still be finished and used

                                We'll use Below the Surface and Space/Space Station for genre/Theme

                                or

                                Darkness/Darkness related:

                                Desperation
                                Acceptance of Inner Darkness
                                Confusion
                                Feelings of Imprisonment

                                Discussion can continue and feel free to ask any questions
                                I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X