This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
    Thoughts leading up to the actual discussion thread start now.

At the moment, we have like 11 genre ideas total and the poll options only allow 10 I believe but I would like to pare it down more than even that. Here's what we got so far:

Below the Surface - Albeit ground or water. It's easy enough to look around or watch the skies, but how much more hidden and unprepared can we be against what we don't even know is there. Movies such as Jaws, Tremors, Blood Beach, Them!, The Mole People, Journey to the Center of the Earth. Or even hollow Earth settings. Just what all lurks below?

Creature Feature - some beast like monster, movies like Boogens, Tremors, Jaws, King Kong, Godzilla.

Historical - something between about 2000 BC to 1899 AD

Holiday - Horrific events due to some holiday, either foreign or domestic. Arbor Day, Boxing Day, Memorial Day...

Hunter and The Hunted - A game of cat and mouse, who's after who and who's even the good guy? Cop and seriel killer, Helsing and Dracula, Ripley and an Alien, Dutch and a Predator.

Over the Top - ridiculous events and massive amounts of blood, guts, and gore. Such movies as Brain Dead/Dead Alive, Terror Vision, Troma Flims, Street Trash, etc... Maybe even The Thing is we embellish a bit.

Slasher - Serial Killers, supernatual like Freddy or Jason, or more human.

Spaceship/Space Station - Something out in space, albeit it human or alien

Supernatural Menace - Freddy or Jason again, or Ghosts, goblins, dragons, vampires, werewolves.

The Unquiet - Ghost stories, haunted houses, hauntings of fetches, doppelgangers, revenants, dybbuks, poltergiests - spirits with unfinished business and with an axe to grind or other things that go bump in the night.

Things that should not be - stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Leaving behind more traditional monsters, using either existing creatures/gods from the mythos or using ones of your own invention that have that distinctive "feel". Stories should be tales of madness and despair, witnessing things so alien and perverse in their existence that it threatens sanity. Capturing the essence and spirit of the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. No rules against making a more humorous attempt at satirizing the sub-genre.

I've left out Zombie Apocalypse & Atomic Horror since we used those last year. We may very well use them again, but unless I/we see a lot of disagreement about it, I'd like not put put any theme up two years in a row.

I left out Noir since that's more of a writing style than a genre story wise. One could also say the same about Things that should not be, but we'll see what talking about these things brings out.

I also expect that we'll leave Historical, Holiday, and Over The Top out of the running since these are easily used in any genre as is. But again, we'll see. There's also some crossovers in the ideas up there, but someone could easily have an idea in one theme that wouldn't crossover with another theme.

Anyway, this is just a jumping off point to get a clear idea how to start off the poll in the upcoming discussion thread on March 5th.
    Yeah I think that's fair enough ,though I will argue that Noir, particulary of the horror cross breed is indeed a genre/sub-genre, with a clear set of genre characteristics, not necessarily using classic the noir narrative style - I.E. Sam Spade. Also Lovecraftian or Cosmic Horror is also recognized sub-genre, again not necessarily limiting oneself to the " witness " first person account style which H.P. Lovecraft mostly wrote in, but rather dealing with otherworldly entities that do not fall into any folklore. There's been many treatments on this theme by a variety of authors written in 1st, 2nd and 3rd person points of view. Anyway I digress.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
      Thoughts leading up to the actual discussion thread start now.

At the moment, we have like 11 genre ideas total and the poll options only allow 10 I believe but I would like to pare it down more than even that. Here's what we got so far:

Below the Surface - Albeit ground or water. It's easy enough to look around or watch the skies, but how much more hidden and unprepared can we be against what we don't even know is there. Movies such as Jaws, Tremors, Blood Beach, Them!, The Mole People, Journey to the Center of the Earth. Or even hollow Earth settings. Just what all lurks below?

Creature Feature - some beast like monster, movies like Boogens, Tremors, Jaws, King Kong, Godzilla.

Historical - something between about 2000 BC to 1899 AD

Holiday - Horrific events due to some holiday, either foreign or domestic. Arbor Day, Boxing Day, Memorial Day...

Hunter and The Hunted - A game of cat and mouse, who's after who and who's even the good guy? Cop and seriel killer, Helsing and Dracula, Ripley and an Alien, Dutch and a Predator.

Over the Top - ridiculous events and massive amounts of blood, guts, and gore. Such movies as Brain Dead/Dead Alive, Terror Vision, Troma Flims, Street Trash, etc... Maybe even The Thing is we embellish a bit.

Slasher - Serial Killers, supernatual like Freddy or Jason, or more human.

Spaceship/Space Station - Something out in space, albeit it human or alien

Supernatural Menace - Freddy or Jason again, or Ghosts, goblins, dragons, vampires, werewolves.

The Unquiet - Ghost stories, haunted houses, hauntings of fetches, doppelgangers, revenants, dybbuks, poltergiests - spirits with unfinished business and with an axe to grind or other things that go bump in the night.

Things that should not be - stories inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Leaving behind more traditional monsters, using either existing creatures/gods from the mythos or using ones of your own invention that have that distinctive "feel". Stories should be tales of madness and despair, witnessing things so alien and perverse in their existence that it threatens sanity. Capturing the essence and spirit of the stories of H.P. Lovecraft. No rules against making a more humorous attempt at satirizing the sub-genre.

I've left out Zombie Apocalypse & Atomic Horror since we used those last year. We may very well use them again, but unless I/we see a lot of disagreement about it, I'd like not put put any theme up two years in a row.

I left out Noir since that's more of a writing style than a genre story wise. One could also say the same about Things that should not be, but we'll see what talking about these things brings out.

I also expect that we'll leave Historical, Holiday, and Over The Top out of the running since these are easily used in any genre as is. But again, we'll see. There's also some crossovers in the ideas up there, but someone could easily have an idea in one theme that wouldn't crossover with another theme.

Anyway, this is just a jumping off point to get a clear idea how to start off the poll in the upcoming discussion thread on March 5th.
      Nice! This should be fun.

If I'd pick a top three it would be:

Below the Surface
      The Unquiet
      Hunter and Hunted

Comment

I am in for this

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
        Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable

Comment

I think I want to do this!

I like the idea of these three:

Hunter And Hunted
          Over The Top
          Slasher

Comment

I like slasher and space myself

I got a bit of an idea for both I think I can make work.

We had 5 choices in the poll last Spring. Hoping for input for all those planning to write so I can put together a poll of 5-6 themes to chose from and we'll go with the top two like we did last year as well.
            I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

Comment

I'm in ...

Choices so far...

Things that should not be.
              Over The Top .
              Hunter and Hunted.

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Top picks for the poll are as follows so far:

Hunter And Hunted
                Slasher
                Over The Top
                Things that should not be

And I would round it out with:

Below the Surface
                The Unquiet
                Spaceship/Space Station

Just so there's a good range to chose from.
                I met her, fifteen years ago; I was told there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and not even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. I met this cow, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to reach her, and then another seven trying to keep her locked up because I realized that what was living behind that cow's eyes was purely and simply... evil.

Comment

... maybe a story about a colossal and malevolent nose that rampages through London in search of a fabled set of gold and jewel encrusted nose hair tweezers which have been secreted away by an evil archaeologist. The theft of the tweezers from their eons-old sanctum sanctorum awakens the nasal leviathan, which wrecks havoc on the city with the frightening destructive force of its sneeze ray. The nose proves impervious to conventional weaponry, and a trigger-happy United States threatens to eradicate the beast using the experimental Rhinoplasty Bomb, a nuclear nose alteration system via neutrino bombardment first developed by Dr. Maury Feinstein of Flushing, NY.

...on second thought, nah....

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Pin View Post
                    ... maybe a story about a colossal and malevolent nose that rampages through London in search of a fabled set of gold and jewel encrusted nose hair tweezers which have been secreted away by an evil archaeologist. The theft of the tweezers from their eons-old sanctum sanctorum awakens the nasal leviathan, which wrecks havoc on the city with the frightening destructive force of its sneeze ray. The nose proves impervious to conventional weaponry, and a trigger-happy United States threatens to eradicate the beast using the experimental Rhinoplasty Bomb, a nuclear nose alteration system via neutrino bombardment first developed by Dr. Maury Feinstein of Flushing, NY.

...on second thought, nah....
                    Good God sir! You are a visionary!

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus Dirge View Post
                      Good God sir! You are a visionary!
                      Not really...

At the beginning of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, the character Pirate Prentice daydreams about a giant adenoid that attacks London. It's fairly hilarious and brilliant--but then again, so is the rest of GR.

I didn't steal the idea. Think of it as an homage to a great book and a great writer.

Comment

Not really...

At the beginning of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, the character Pirate Prentice daydreams about a giant adenoid that attacks London. It's fairly hilarious and brilliant--but then again, so is the rest of GR.

I didn't steal the idea. Think of it as an homage to a great book and a great writer.
                        Never read it will track it down on your recommendation.

Thought of another topic for the contest. Bad Blood - stories about fucked up families, inbreds or dark history of ancestors affecting the lives of their ascendants. The Sins of the Fathers visted upon their sons etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus Dirge View Post
                          Never read it will track it down on your recommendation.

Thought of another topic for the contest. Bad Blood - stories about fucked up families, inbreds or dark history of ancestors affecting the lives of their ascendants. The Sins of the Fathers visted upon their sons etc....
                          That's a very good and workable topic. It allows for all kinds of abstractions in terms of how "horrible" families can be. Think Kafka's "The Metamorphosis." as just one example of how it could be done.

Comment

That's a very good and workable topic. It allows for all kinds of abstractions in terms of how "horrible" families can be. Think Kafka's "The Metamorphosis." as just one example of how it could be done.
                            True. Never thought about it that way.

Comment

Another topic - Foreign Bodies , Tales of Body horror and mutations. Bad biology, Genetic rebellion, parasites, intelligent / sentient viruses and tumors. Surgical addiction, self improvements gone wrong.Or are we the real parasites, Or is everything we do serves a function so that some greater organism that we reside within lives. Are we the Earth's/Universes cells that have gone rouge and now are bent on destroying it.

Comment

Another - The Monster Mash ! - Maybe it's Godzilla like creatures fighting, viewed from an innocent by stander POV . Cthulhu versus The Beast over who gets to start Armageddon.
                                Classic monster fights, Vampires versus werewolves, Frankenstein versus The Mummy etc . Or maybe two or more Serial Killers stalking the same prey , causing territorial disputes that can only be settled in one way.
                                Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X