2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
    We could just expand that to "Dark Continent" then.

The point being, one or more people going off the beaten track or into an unsettled area of any non first world country.

So Asia, Africa, Australia, South America, the Arctic or Antarctica. <-- Yes, some of these have quite a bit of civilization, but the story would take place in a time or place where the Western world knows little of the 'true' dangers that lie therein.
    Perfect!I've got something in mind already, like Alan Quatermain meets Lovecraft! This ties in perfectly with themes of xenophobia and culture shock.
    I don't know if Alaska or Siberia would qualify as well what are you thoughts on this?

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Originally posted by Erebus Dirge View Post
      Perfect!I've got something in mind already, like Alan Quatermain meets Lovecraft! This ties in perfectly with themes of xenophobia and culture shock.
      I don't know if Alaska or Siberia would qualify as well what are you thoughts on this?
      Those work too. could even be pre 1800 North America. Tho you can't escape geography altogether, the point being people that 'know' their world going in to an unknown world.

Many ways to put it tho.
      Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
      Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
      Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
      The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
      Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
      Nightcore Land Of Confusion
      Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
      Rend Collective My Lighthouse
      Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
      Garbage Special
      Cardigans My Favorite Game
      Living Colour Cult of Personality
      Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
      Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
      Sasha D Russian Girls
      Scatman John Scatman

Comment

I love the idea of using a location, but its beginning to seem like a "theme" now, though i wouldnt be opposed to using a theme.I think if it was a SPECIFIC location that we all had to write it would fall under the guise of the Fall write-off, but that may lead to some narrow(ish) choices for stories. And to the guidelines of the Fall write off, i think any sentence can be written to a specific location of the writer's choosing.
        Last edited by Robcbh; 08-23-2012, 08:04 AM.
        All things horror: Splatter Shack and like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Robcbh View Post
          I love the idea of using a location, but the thing is this is beginning to seem like a "theme" now though a bit, but i wouldnt be opposed to a theme.I think if it was a SPECIFIC location that we all had to write though, it would fall under the guise of the fall write-off, but that may lead to some narrow(ish) choices for stories. And to the guidelines of the Fall write off, i think any sentence can be written to a specific location of the writer's choosing.
          Yeah I know what you mean it seems a little theme-driven but that can be destilled into the opening sentance that everyone can be issued.

For Example-

Foreigner. Name/she/he thought about that word. A word that now refered to him/her. He/she did'nt belong here. That sense of otherness and alienation was bad enough during the day, but when the sunset it became near unbearable.
          Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM.

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Is there only going to be one opening sentance?

Comment

Originally posted by prettyscary View Post
              Is there only going to be one opening sentance?
              Im not sure about this year, but usually there is 3 to choose from.
              All things horror: Splatter Shack and like us on Facebook

Comment

I'm we'll still use 3 opening sentences as normal, but in addition, we'll see how a full scene and an location works out too.

We'll have to go by feel as to how that works out prolly since if we only get like 5-7 stories, it'll be hard to see how popular it was.

As you all know, we use a 2-3 specific genre/themes in the Spring, and in the Fall, we try to be a lot more open. We still try to use an jumping off point of some sort tho. The location and opening scene options we trying to meant to be just as open.

A story in the Congo or Amazon could have any monster whatsoever even a vampire or werewolf whereas, as a theme, vampire/werewolf is just that.

In any case, HMG put forth the idea, some peeps were intrigued, so I thought we'd give it a shot. We'll have to see how it works out, but in any case, we'll still have the 3 sentences as usual.
                Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
                Garbage Special
                Sasha D Russian Girls
                Scatman John Scatman

Comment

I'm we'll still use 3 opening sentences as normal, but in addition, we'll see how a full scene and an location works out too.

We'll have to go by feel as to how that works out prolly since if we only get like 5-7 stories, it'll be hard to see how popular it was.

As you all know, we use a 2-3 specific genre/themes in the Spring, and in the Fall, we try to be a lot more open. We still try to use an jumping off point of some sort tho. The location and opening scene options we trying to meant to be just as open.

A story in the Congo or Amazon could have any monster whatsoever even a vampire or werewolf whereas, as a theme, vampire/werewolf is just that.

In any case, HMG put forth the idea, some peeps were intrigued, so I thought we'd give it a shot. We'll have to see how it works out, but in any case, we'll still have the 3 sentences as usual.
                  To be honest writing to spec is a great challenge and I've come up with some of my best stuff when I've been given a frame work to work within.

Another idea for the Amazon/Congo is undiscovered species as well as "real" monsters such as the fish that flies up your piss stream into your urethra.
                  There's also the lost tribes thing as well.

Here's a resource that I find interesting if I'm looking for more "exotic" folklore. I hope it comes in useful...
                  http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...ican_mythology
                  or
                  http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...nian_mythology
                  maybe
                  http://www.monstropedia.org/index.ph...egendary_races
                  Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-23-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

If we go with the whole "Dark Continent" thing, is it okay if l make prodigious use of the word "negroid"?

Just kidding, don't answer that.

Btw, lf anyone is interested, the man in my avatar, the great Robert E. Howard, wrote a string of stories that took place in wild and unexplored Africa. Many of his Solomon Kane tales are set there, and in other untamed regions of the world as well, circa 1700s...But be warned, they make prodigious use of the word "negroid".
                    Last edited by Yoxodo; 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM.

Comment

How about if I just write a story and if it doesn't fit, disqualify me, but enjoy the story anyway. Seriously, it's going to be a location and a sentence? Are there photographs involved? LOL! I do my best with less, even just setting the genre drives me nuts in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by prettyscary View Post
                        How about if I just write a story and if it doesn't fit, disqualify me, but enjoy the story anyway. Seriously, it's going to be a location and a sentence? Are there photographs involved? LOL! I do my best with less, even just setting the genre drives me nuts in the spring.
                        No, no. There's no "AND"

You can use a starting sentence, OR the scene, OR the location.

Each one has it's different freedoms.

With the sentence, you got your opening text and you can go 180* with it if you wish.

With the scene, you first paragraph/scene is rather guided, but you could then step out into a desert a do a 180*

With the location, you have other freedoms, you could do a normally urban horror like a vampire in Africa or something.
                        Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
                        Garbage Special
                        Sasha D Russian Girls
                        Scatman John Scatman

Comment

No, no. There's no "AND"

With the sentence, you got your opening text and you can go 180* with it if you wish.

With the scene, you first paragraph/scene is rather guided, but you could then step out into a desert a do a 180*

With the location, you have other freedoms, you could do a normally urban horror like a vampire in Africa or something.
                          I agree. Having either a genre, location or scene setter is'nt a handicap but rather an aid to writing a decent story, makes you work that little harder too. It's like been given some basic materials and making something unexpected from it.
                          Last edited by Erebus Dirge; 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah, and sure, "darkness" is theme-ish when you think of the genre style set-up we use in the Spring. The sentence set-up I expect we'll always use in the Fall, and this "Full Scene" and location ideas we're trying out...

Well, I'm not trying to force a theme as specific as we use in the Spring, but more of a common thread of a starting point, otherwise the set of three sentences we'd have gotten in any case would just be all over the place.

I tried looking up verbs and adverb, but I just use them, not name them.

The concept we use in the Fall, isolated last year, darkness this year, by these I mean to give a "quality" for stories to start with that people can also go 180* if they so chose.
                            Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
                            Garbage Special
                            Sasha D Russian Girls
                            Scatman John Scatman

Comment

No, no. There's no "AND"

Thank you for clearing this all up! NOW I understand what's going on!

Comment

I'm in. I will hopefully have a better working computer...my phone went into the wash which made up the majority of my internet traversing lately so I am pretty much without internet for awhile. But I will definitely try.

Comment

Working...
                                X