2012 BD Fall Horror Write-Off Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Cool

Okay folks, the details go up and starting gun fires on Monday, hope everyone is ready.

I got my story decided on and mapped out a little, so I'm good to go.

How's everyone else feeling?
    Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
    Chemical Romance Welcome To The Black Parade
    Beatfreakz Somebody's Watching Me
    The Darkness I Believe In A Thing Called Love
    Boogie Pimps Somebody To Love
    Nightcore Land Of Confusion
    Bif Naked Moment Of Weakness
    Rend Collective My Lighthouse
    Dickies Killer Klowns From Outer Space
    Garbage Special
    Cardigans My Favorite Game
    Living Colour Cult of Personality
    Limousines Internet Killed The Video Star
    Alien Ant Farm Smooth Criminal
    Sasha D Russian Girls
    Scatman John Scatman

Comment

Feeling a bit Cthulhu-ish.

Sort of slime-induced.

ln the mood for a bit of the old ia! ia!

Comment

^Cool

Also, I meant to add that we'll have 3 sentences as usual, we'll also have 3 fuller scenes for some variety on that note, and the "Dark Continent" so will people have a lot to choose from in starting out their stories.

You only need to use ONE of the 7 selections, not any combination of them.
        Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
        Garbage Special
        Sasha D Russian Girls
        Scatman John Scatman

Comment

Yeah feeling good, got a whole Heart of Darkness /Alan Quatermain meets Lovecraft idea. Don't know if it will pan out though. Might do something a little survival horror/post Apocalypse thing instead...

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Here we go:

You can start your story with one of the sentences, OR, one of the scenes, OR, just use the location

Sentences:

It began in darkness,
            From the darkness,
            At first, I/he/she could see only darkness,

Scene:

It was dark, the kind of darkness that was so deep and dense, that you could almost smell, touch, or taste it.

The darkness, it waits hungry and patient. It waits for the sun to set, for the weakening candle flame to splutter out, for the flash-light to falter and fail. Only then does it reach out with cold black tendrils to crush the light that still burns within our hearts.

I sat in the darkness with only a candle to write by at my desk. There wasn't much time left, but I wanted to leave some record of what I knew of what had happened.

In all cases above, pronouns can be changed, I to he, she, it, him, her, or a persons name. It can also be changed to 1st or 3rd (or even 2nd) person perspectives as you choose.

Africa, The Amazon, or some other place far from civilization. A journey into an unexplored area where unknown dangers await.

====

A reminder of the rules:

1) Word limit is 5000. This should be more than enough for writers to include any and all desired dialogue and flavor text without having to squeeze and edit their ideas into the previous limits. Far lower word counts are just fine and worked well in past Write-Offs

2) All stories should begin being written on September 3rd and not before. Pre-existing ideas from other stories are fine, but the piece itself should be a new composition.

3) This Write-Off will use a selection of opening sentences to be presented on September 3rd

The Writers will have 6 weeks starting on Monday September 3rd to write their stories and they will then be posted one at a time and voted on in three subjective catagories as follows:

Readability: Is it easy to read, does it sound like good grammar or how someone would actually speak? Did you have to go back and reread or stop to figure out what was going on? (Spelling and grammar count, but to say it hurts the story isn't always true.) It's up to you how readable it was.

Concept: Is it fresh or familiar. Is it a good take or rendition on the idea. Was it a great presentation, or too familiar? Character developement fits here too (tho yeah, seems odd due to the heading of "concept") But how well presented are the characters? Are they fleshed out, do we understand or sympathize with them?

Atmosphere: Dread, horror, creepiness, ambiance, mood, immersion etc. How well does the story draw you in? Do you feel the danger, the distress of the world? Are you glad you're not in their shoes? Do you feel for the characters, the world, and/or the situation. If this were a movie, how happy were you watching it unfold? Does the atmosphere suck you in, or like a bad movie, are you checking your watch to see how much is left?

The scale for each catagory will be 1-5, Half points allowed

Stories will again be posted Anonymously.

There well be no deadline to sign up per se, but the details given to start will come on September 3rd, and the deadline to submit a story will be Monday October 15th. People seem to always want to join it in progress, they'll be at a disadvantage of course, but still welcome.

Rules are subject to change as I see fit in order to maintain the spirit of the contest. We're here to have fun, have a good time, and share some horrific stories and ideas.

====

Feel free to ask any questions.
            Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
            Garbage Special
            Sasha D Russian Girls
            Scatman John Scatman

Comment

The possibilities are endless! Now to get my brain in gear for this

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
              Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable

Comment

Wrote non stop for like 2 hours last night -- 10 pages. I havent written like that in a long while. Unfortunately i dont know how much is useable ...or horror.
                All things horror: Splatter Shack and like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Robcbh View Post
                  Wrote non stop for like 2 hours last night -- 10 pages. I havent written like that in a long while. Unfortunately i dont know how much is useable ...or horror.
                  That's excellent! Pretty sure whatever it is it will be great as always.

" The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Read latest fiction " The Closet by rhill10" in DEMETIONS at http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/for...t=61754&page=5

Comment

Got something really bizarre and psychadelic in the works. Not sure if its right for the Write-Off though, so l might tinker with a couple of ideas. l'm not in it to win it. This time l'm in it for the journey.

l'm really loving the freedom in this particular contest. All three opening sentences are very workable, and the scene...l love how Lovecraftian it is. You could go anywhere with it, but it almost begs for an ending like, "lts at the door! Trying to claw it's way in! Don't know how much longer l can keep writing...Gods, the horror has broken through! The hunger in it's thousand eyes...it's reaching for me...Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                      Got something really bizarre and psychadelic in the works. Not sure if its right for the Write-Off though, so l might tinker with a couple of ideas. l'm not in it to win it. This time l'm in it for the journey.

l'm really loving the freedom in this particular contest. All three opening sentences are very workable, and the scene...l love how Lovecraftian it is. You could go anywhere with it, but it almost begs for an ending like, "lts at the door! Trying to claw it's way in! Don't know how much longer l can keep writing...Gods, the horror has broken through! The hunger in it's thousand eyes...it's reaching for me...Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!"
                      Yoxodo did you write the one about the man falling while seeing all the demons? That story stuck with, cant wait to see what you got cooked up next.

Comment

Yoxodo did you write the one about the man falling while seeing all the demons? That story stuck with, cant wait to see what you got cooked up next.
                        Thanks, man! l seem to remember you spinning a few damn good yarns yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by yoxodo View Post
                          Thanks, man! l seem to remember you spinning a few damn good yarns yourself.
                          Thanks. Hows i everyone elses coming along?

Im so thankful for these write offs, they really jump start my ambitions to write and i usually get to use stories that ive wanted to write, but just didn't have the time or the will.

Comment

I almost gave up and started a dif story since I "knew" I'd never get the atmosphere right, but then watched a certain movie set there and now I think I'll do a lot better on that note.
                            Electric 6 Radio Ga Ga
                            Garbage Special
                            Sasha D Russian Girls
                            Scatman John Scatman

Comment

Originally posted by Willowfang View Post
                              I almost gave up and started a dif story since I "knew" I'd never get the atmosphere right, but then watched a certain movie set there and now I think I'll do a lot better on that note.
                              Yeah getting a tone is so tough, but watching the right movie or reading the right book at the right time goes a long ways to helping out for sure. Ive been working on trying to create a tone for my story too. I hope it works out.

Comment

Im so thankful for these write offs, they really jump start my ambitions to write and i usually get to use stories that ive wanted to write, but just didn't have the time or the will.
                                Totally agree with this. It seems like l only write for the Write-Offs, and all the time inbetween is wasted on TV watching, beer swilling, and whore mongering, not necessarily in that exact order.

But seriously, as l'm currently writing my story l realise how much l truly need to hunker down and get stuff down on paper. However, l'm a procrastinator to the core, and without the impetus of a forthcoming deadline there almost seems no purpose to indulge in the creative urge.

Comment

Working...
                                X