• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Amittyville Horror: The Lost Tapes

Dimension, Miramax to Investigate Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes
    Source: Shock Till You Drop
    May 14, 2011

Dimension Films and Miramax today announced the production of The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes.

This is the first film to be produced under the agreement between Miramax and The Weinstein Company to create sequels to some of Miramax's various properties.

Dimension also announced that it has acquired the rights to a new screenplay for the film by Casey La Scala and Daniel Farrands (Never Sleep Again, Halloween 6). Farrands and La Scala are also set to direct the film.

Production will commence this summer with a release date scheduled for January 27, 2012.

The latest chapter in the Amityville saga showcases the events after the time of the original "The Amityville Horror" book and movie through found footage dating back to 1976. An ambitious female television news intern, on the verge of breaking the most famous haunted house case in the world, leads a team of journalists, clergymen and paranormal researchers into an investigation of the bizarre events that will come to be known as The Amityville Horror...only to unwittingly open a door to the unreal that she may never be able to close.

"We are thrilled to return to the mythology of The Amityville Horror with a new and terrifying vision that will satisfy our existing fans and also introduce an entirely new audience to this popular haunting phenomenon," said Bob Weinstein.

The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes is being produced by Jason Blum (Insidious), Casey La Scala and Daniel Farrands.

Prior to MGM's money woes, there were talks of a film called The Amityville Tapes. Neil Marshall Stevens was scripting that film which appeared to have dissolved while the studio worked out its financial problems. I have to wonder where this will put The Amityville Legacy, currently being developed at Hannibal Classics.
    I am known in many realms by many names, but those that know me in your world call me the Phantom Stranger.

I can no longer tolerate the found footage conceit.

Comment

Can't say I'm overly interested.

Comment

"We are thrilled to return to the mythology of The Amityville Horror with a new and terrifying vision that will satisfy our existing fans and also introduce an entirely new audience to this popular haunting phenomenon," said Bob Weinstein.
        Should be rather this:

"We are thrilled to return to spoil another horror franchise such as is The Amityville Horror with an again boring and meaningless vision that will bore existing fans to death and also scare an entirely new audience off to this popular haunting phenomenon."
        Better?

Originally posted by Heathen
        I can no longer tolerate the found footage conceit.
        Me too.
        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

This is just a cash in on the name. They stuck Amittyville in the title for the $ and they can make a "found footage" movie alot cheaper then a regular movie .. this is a soulless "sequel". They're just hoping they can make this for probably under 10 mil and make a killing off it like some people have been doing lately with PA and Insidious.

I'll pass.

Comment

Should be better than the remake-I'm in. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, so do take my view with a grain of salt, but I'm intrigued as to see what they'll do differently here.

Comment

I am quite curious to see this, because I am a fan of the Amityville saga. Although, in recent years, the found tape trick it's becoming an abused topic.
              The Devil for me is a little girl... Dressed in white

Comment

Honestly, one of the worst horror movie franchises ever! All of these films have ranged from mediocre to terrible, and like DB said, this just sounds like a knock off cash-in. I couldn't be less interested.

Comment

Ill remain guarded but I am interested in this.

Comment

I'm interested to see how this turns out, but it very well could be just another cash in. The involvement of Daniel Farrands makes me hopeful though. I love Halloween 6 and loved his concept for a sequel to the original Amityville that never came to fruition. On the other hand, this is Dimension we're talking about and we all know he's had trouble with them in the past. Hopefully more info will come soon.

Movies recently seen:

The Boneyard- 6/10
                    Clash of the Titans '10- 8/10
                    The Exorcist- 10/10
                    Wrath of the Titans- 7/10
                    Zombie- 8/10

Comment

sounds very interesting.
                      personal statement
                      letter of recommendation

Comment

I'm clearly interested enough to read the first post and bother to post this. Not a fan of the series but I'm not like "death to all Amittyvill movies" so yeah sure I'll see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
                          All of these films have ranged from mediocre to terrible
                          I wouldn't even go as far as saying any of them were mediocre.

They were all terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by phantomstranger View Post
                            Dimension, Miramax to Investigate Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes
                            Source: Shock Till You Drop
                            May 14, 2011

Dimension Films and Miramax today announced the production of The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes.

This is the first film to be produced under the agreement between Miramax and The Weinstein Company to create sequels to some of Miramax's various properties.

Dimension also announced that it has acquired the rights to a new screenplay for the film by Casey La Scala and Daniel Farrands (Never Sleep Again, Halloween 6). Farrands and La Scala are also set to direct the film.

Production will commence this summer with a release date scheduled for January 27, 2012.

The latest chapter in the Amityville saga showcases the events after the time of the original "The Amityville Horror" book and movie through found footage dating back to 1976. An ambitious female television news intern, on the verge of breaking the most famous haunted house case in the world, leads a team of journalists, clergymen and paranormal researchers into an investigation of the bizarre events that will come to be known as The Amityville Horror...only to unwittingly open a door to the unreal that she may never be able to close.

The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes is being produced by Jason Blum (Insidious), Casey La Scala and Daniel Farrands.

Prior to MGM's money woes, there were talks of a film called The Amityville Tapes. Neil Marshall Stevens was scripting that film which appeared to have dissolved while the studio worked out its financial problems. I have to wonder where this will put The Amityville Legacy, currently being developed at Hannibal Classics.
                            Jason Blum is on board. Insidious was one of the best horror movies I have ever seen in the cinema, and I'm usually a huge skeptic. I've got my fingers crossed for this one and actually quite excited.

my sex last night haha

Comment

I will see this I have enjoyed some of the Amityville horror movies and I didn't think the remake was that bad.

My Pet Zombie Hates Your Guts But Loves Your Brain!!

Special Thanks to H.P. Pufncraft for making you want to click on my brain!!

My Horror Musings with a Psychotic Twist
                              Welcome to the Asylum: You Know You're Certifiable

Comment

Working...
                              X