Connect with us

Editorials

Six Underseen Horror Shows for the Halloween Season

Published

on

Underseen Horror

With dozens of shows like What We Do in the Shadows and Chucky representing our favorite genre on the small screen, there’s no denying that we’re living through a horror renaissance on television. However, the amount of quality programming being produced is simply staggering, and it’s becoming hard to keep up with all these new releases, especially when we have to keep track of so many different streaming services. That’s why it’s understandable that a few televised gems would slip through our fingers, destined to become lost in a sea of streamable content. 

But fear not, because we here at Bloody Disgusting have come up with a handy list of six underseen horror shows to watch during this Halloween season! While none of these were hits on par with a Mike Flanagan production, I firmly believe that they all deserve more fans and are all still worth a watch. 

While this list is based on personal opinion, there are a couple of rules. First, we’ll only be featuring lesser-known shows that didn’t quite achieve the cultural impact that they deserved, even if they come from a mainstream platform. Second, we’ll only be including programs from the new millennium, just because they’ll be easier to find online. 

With that out of the way, don’t forget to comment below with your own personal favorite underseen horror shows that you think deserve more viewers. 

Now, onto the list…

6. Todd and the Book of Pure Evil (2010 – 2012)

The Canadian lovechild of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Evil Dead franchise, Todd and the Book of Pure Evil is one of my favorite hidden gems in televised horror. Featuring episodic romps through a cursed high school as a group of friends attempt to defeat the forces of darkness (with mixed results), this peculiar little show has something for everyone, and I always recommend it to friends whenever I get the chance. 

While there are only two thirteen-episode seasons, the show did get a definitive conclusion in the form of an extremely gory animated movie released back in 2017 (appropriately titled The End of the End), making it worth getting invested in this loveable world of demons, monsters and high school melodrama – which is usually played for laughs. 

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil is available on Amazon.

5. Chapelwaite (2021-Ongoing)

chapelwaite season 2

An atmospheric period drama starring Adrien Brody that also serves as a prequel to Stephen King’s Salem’s Lot? How the hell are people not talking about this show? A moody family story doubling as a slow-burn horror yarn, this New England parable is perfect viewing for the Halloween season, and I think it’s a shame that it hasn’t become a Netflix-sized hit. 

Sure, it takes a while for the program to really dive into its horror elements, but the added setup and character development just makes things all the more frightening when the story begins to adapt the short story (Jerusalem’s Lot) it’s based on. 

Chapelwaite is available on Amazon Prime.

4. Wolf Creek (2016-2018)

Underseen Horror wolf creek

Greg McLean’s Wolf Creek films are some of Australia’s finest examples of modern-day Ozploitation, so it’s a shame that not a lot of people have heard about the TV series. With each season telling a self-contained story about our favorite murderer in the outback, it’s like getting two extra movies in this hyper-violent slasher franchise! 

John Jarratt remains as charming as ever in the role of the lovably evil Mick Taylor, but the show also uses the expanded runtime to fully develop its protagonists, making their gruesome deaths all the more horrific. If you’re a fan of the movies, there’s no excuse to not check out this serialized hidden gem. 

Both seasons of Wolf Creek are available on Amazon Prime.

3. The Pentaverate (2022)

You might not be expecting a Mike Myers comedy series to show up on a website about horror media, but trust me when I say that this absurd little passion project parodies all forms of conspiratorial horrors, from bumbling secret societies to custodial cryptids. 

The quirky humor on display here might not be for everyone, especially if you’re not already familiar with some of the concepts being satirized, but I think this show deserves a lot better than the overwhelmingly negative reception that it got back in May. At the very least, conspiracy nuts are sure to find plenty of evil little Easter eggs! 

The Pentaverate is available on Netflix.

2. Fear Itself (2008-2009)

Underseen Horror fear itself

A spiritual successor to Mick Garris’ Masters of Horror, Fear Itself continues the anthological terrors of its predecessor on a new network with a Canadian production team. It may be only be a single season of frights, but with episodes helmed by legends like Stuart Gordon, Larry Fessenden and John Landis, there’s no denying that Fear Itself is just as scary as Masters of Horror. 

That’s why it’s a shame that the show isn’t as well known, since it’s basically an extra season of mini horror movies. While my personal favorite episode is Fessenden’s wendigo story Skin and Bones, there’s a little something here for every kind of horror fan. Plus, the updated opening theme kicks ass, courtesy of System of Down’s Serj Tankian. 

Fear Itself is available on Amazon Prime. 

1. Brand New Cherry Flavor (2021)

Underseen Horror brand new cherry flavor

Created by the same team behind SyFy’s Channel Zero (with the entire thing feeling kind of like an extra fifth season to that show), Brand New Cherry Flavor was one of my favorite horror outings from last year. Adapted from Todd Grimson’s novel about supernatural shenanigans in 90s Hollywood and chock-full of witchcraft and horror references, the show had a lot of spooky things going for it. Unfortunately, this little production was mostly overshadowed by the success of Netflix’s own Midnight Mass, which is why not that many people have heard about it. 

Sure, the script could have benefited from Channel Zero’s six-episode limit, but Brand New Cherry Flavor is undoubtedly still worth a watch. And the best part is that the story has a clear beginning, middle and end, making it perfect for binging during this Halloween season. 

Brand New Cherry Flavor is available on Netflix. 

Born Brazilian, raised Canadian, Luiz is a writer and Film student that spends most of his time watching movies and subsequently complaining about them.

Editorials

Finding Faith and Violence in ‘The Book of Eli’ 14 Years Later

Published

on

Having grown up in a religious family, Christian movie night was something that happened a lot more often than I care to admit. However, back when I was a teenager, my parents showed up one night with an unusually cool-looking DVD of a movie that had been recommended to them by a church leader. Curious to see what new kind of evangelical propaganda my parents had rented this time, I proceeded to watch the film with them expecting a heavy-handed snoozefest.

To my surprise, I was a few minutes in when Denzel Washington proceeded to dismember a band of cannibal raiders when I realized that this was in fact a real movie. My mom was horrified by the flick’s extreme violence and dark subject matter, but I instantly became a fan of the Hughes Brothers’ faith-based 2010 thriller, The Book of Eli. And with the film’s atomic apocalypse having apparently taken place in 2024, I think this is the perfect time to dive into why this grim parable might also be entertaining for horror fans.

Originally penned by gaming journalist and The Walking Dead: The Game co-writer Gary Whitta, the spec script for The Book of Eli was already making waves back in 2007 when it appeared on the coveted Blacklist. It wasn’t long before Columbia and Warner Bros. snatched up the rights to the project, hiring From Hell directors Albert and Allen Hughes while also garnering attention from industry heavyweights like Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman.

After a series of revisions by Anthony Peckham meant to make the story more consumer-friendly, the picture was finally released in January of 2010, with the finished film following Denzel as a mysterious wanderer making his way across a post-apocalyptic America while protecting a sacred book. Along the way, he encounters a run-down settlement controlled by Bill Carnegie (Gary Oldman), a man desperate to get his hands on Eli’s book so he can motivate his underlings to expand his empire. Unwilling to let this power fall into the wrong hands, Eli embarks on a dangerous journey that will test the limits of his faith.

SO WHY IS IT WORTH WATCHING?

Judging by the film’s box-office success, mainstream audiences appear to have enjoyed the Hughes’ bleak vision of a future where everything went wrong, but critics were left divided by the flick’s trope-heavy narrative and unapologetic religious elements. And while I’ll be the first to admit that The Book of Eli isn’t particularly subtle or original, I appreciate the film’s earnest execution of familiar ideas.

For starters, I’d like to address the religious elephant in the room, as I understand the hesitation that some folks (myself included) might have about watching something that sounds like Christian propaganda. Faith does indeed play a huge part in the narrative here, but I’d argue that the film is more about the power of stories than a specific religion. The entire point of Oldman’s character is that he needs a unifying narrative that he can take advantage of in order to manipulate others, while Eli ultimately chooses to deliver his gift to a community of scholars. In fact, the movie even makes a point of placing the Bible in between equally culturally important books like the Torah and Quran, which I think is pretty poignant for a flick inspired by exploitation cinema.

Sure, the film has its fair share of logical inconsistencies (ranging from the extent of Eli’s Daredevil superpowers to his impossibly small Braille Bible), but I think the film more than makes up for these nitpicks with a genuine passion for classic post-apocalyptic cinema. Several critics accused the film of being a knockoff of superior productions, but I’d argue that both Whitta and the Hughes knowingly crafted a loving pastiche of genre influences like Mad Max and A Boy and His Dog.

Lastly, it’s no surprise that the cast here absolutely kicks ass. Denzel plays the title role of a stoic badass perfectly (going so far as to train with Bruce Lee’s protégée in order to perform his own stunts) while Oldman effortlessly assumes a surprisingly subdued yet incredibly intimidating persona. Even Mila Kunis is remarkably charming here, though I wish the script had taken the time to develop these secondary characters a little further. And hey, did I mention that Tom Waits is in this?

AND WHAT MAKES IT HORROR ADJACENT?

Denzel’s very first interaction with another human being in this movie results in a gory fight scene culminating in a face-off against a masked brute wielding a chainsaw (which he presumably uses to butcher travelers before eating them), so I think it’s safe to say that this dog-eat-dog vision of America will likely appeal to horror fans.

From diseased cannibals to hyper-violent motorcycle gangs roaming the wasteland, there’s plenty of disturbing R-rated material here – which is even more impressive when you remember that this story revolves around the bible. And while there are a few too many references to sexual assault for my taste, even if it does make sense in-universe, the flick does a great job of immersing you in this post-nuclear nightmare.

The excessively depressing color palette and obvious green screen effects may take some viewers out of the experience, but the beat-up and lived-in sets and costume design do their best to bring this dead world to life – which might just be the scariest part of the experience.

Ultimately, I believe your enjoyment of The Book of Eli will largely depend on how willing you are to overlook some ham-fisted biblical references in order to enjoy some brutal post-apocalyptic shenanigans. And while I can’t really blame folks who’d rather not deal with that, I think it would be a shame to miss out on a genuinely engaging thrill-ride because of one minor detail.

With that in mind, I’m incredibly curious to see what Whitta and the Hughes Brothers have planned for the upcoming prequel series starring John Boyega

There’s no understating the importance of a balanced media diet, and since bloody and disgusting entertainment isn’t exclusive to the horror genre, we’ve come up with Horror Adjacent – a recurring column where we recommend non-horror movies that horror fans might enjoy.

Continue Reading