X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question... back in the 70's, there was a preview for a movie that I saw on TV. It showed the back of a woman, combing her hair, and she was singing (maybe a nursery rhyme? not sure). The camera is panning closer, and when it's close, she turns and she is a skeleton (with a woman's wig). I know it sounds cheesy now, but it freaked me out back then! I don't even think the skeleton had anything to do with the movie, it was just a scare tactic promoting the film. I think I saw the movie too, but I can't think of the name - only the commercial/preview stuck with me. Sound familiar to anyone??
    "What do you want?!?"
    "Your blood... all over me."

ALCOHOL: the cause AND solution to all of life's problems!---Homer Simpson

Only a vampire can love you forever...

Comment

Originally posted by ladynos
      Okay, I'm trying to find out the name of this movie. I saw it on television when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. It's probably pretty cheesy by today's standards, but I remember being surprised by how bloody it was. All I can remember was that there was a guy that had either a greenhouse or a building where he was hiding giant, killer plants. They may have been venus flytraps or at least something like them.

I know it's not much to go on, but that's all I really remember.
      try Blood - Andy Milligan (1974)

Originally posted by Blackened1
      I have a question... back in the 70's, there was a preview for a movie that I saw on TV. It showed the back of a woman, combing her hair, and she was singing (maybe a nursery rhyme? not sure). The camera is panning closer, and when it's close, she turns and she is a skeleton (with a woman's wig). I know it sounds cheesy now, but it freaked me out back then! I don't even think the skeleton had anything to do with the movie, it was just a scare tactic promoting the film. I think I saw the movie too, but I can't think of the name - only the commercial/preview stuck with me. Sound familiar to anyone??
      try The Creeping Flesh - Freddie Francis (1973)

i really have no idea, not really much to work with AND its a movie trailer? thast in question not the actual movie. thats rough, anyway, try the above.

Originally posted by Zombiebabe
      I watched "The Thing" for the first time tonight (thanks Tony Wink Heart awww cute) and I was wondering how Blair got out of the shed? I realize that he dug the hole and was building the ship, but it didn't look like there was a way out down there, and if there was, MacReady and the other two still went up the hole and back into the shed. Was there a way out down there, and if not, even though Blair was one of the things, he still couldn't have gotten out of a door that was locked from the outside.

Am I reading too much into this? Laughing Rolling Eyes Embarassed It's been nagging at me. That was the only flaw in that movie IMO. Loved every creepy minute of it...
      as far as THE THING goes, im not really a fan of that movie BUT..... i definitely think youre reading too much into it. the obvious answer would be that yes, there was a way out down where blair was building the ship. soon thereafter we then see Blair kill another victim and MacReady snooping around with plans to blow the place to hell. look at the surroundins. this suggests that there were underground caverns beneath the entire base, which im sure were connected. however, another possible theory is that one of the infected (at any point during the story) gave him the key or let him out. to this day john carpenter and kurt russell stil admitt they have no idea who was infected from time to time. you never know.
      "Hollywood horror is dead." - Gabriel

Muff Daddy's Dvds :
      http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...the+muffin+man

Comment

Originally posted by SYL
        I have a few TCM questions.
        Why did the hitchhiker even appear at the begging of the movie? If you think about it, theres no reason as to why he should be in that part of the movie. Well, now that it think of it, maybe he was sent to get people for the family, and when he smeared the blood in the van, it was kind of a message for the cook at the gas station...sounds plausible...but maybe he was just there to tell the audience that if they thought that was disturbing, wait till you see whats coming...

Also, why did the cook tell the kids to stay away from the old franklin house, if heīs own house was near by? Was it heīs good side trying to help them? Or was he just trying to make the kids curious?
        Alright, it's hard to tell because The Cook is yelling at The Hitchhiker somewhat indecipherably, but when The Cook pulls up at the house with Sally in his truck and starts beating the Hitchhiker he's yelling "where have you been?!" "I told you stop stop messin around in that graveyard!" , etc. These aren't criminal masterminds, brilliantly plotting their acts. Someone wanders too close to the house or gets stranded, Leatherface goes hunting, and they slaughter them for sale as barbecue. So, in essence, The Hitchhiker was bored during the day basically and went out messin around. The weird "artwork" at the graveyard at the beginning of the film wasn't anything superbly sinister to taunt the news or police, it was their way of having fun. The Hitchhiker was out during the day, wandering around, and was walking back and saw the chance to have a ride. He didn't think "I'll kill these kids" he thought "hey a ride!" but he was so devoid of ANY social skills and had no ability to interact with normalcy that he ended up mutilating himself, trying to impress the kids with his knife (its all he has and knows), and eventually getting upset when they mock him and won't buy his picture. They kick him out of the car, and it's basically implied that when The Cook pulls up with Sally, The Hitchhiker was just then getting home, as he had to walk all day.

Also, Siedow warned the kids, yes. Did he want them to die? No. He and the Hitchhiker both mention jobs being ruined by technological advances at the Slaughterhouse which employed their family. Slaughter is all they know...the cattle goes to the proper slaughterhouse, so if they want to "work" they have to go for something else. The Hitchhiker says to The Cook at the dinner table, "you're just a COOK! We have to do all the work!" and the cook replies with "you watch your tongue...I just can't take no pleasure in killing."...The Cook isn't a murderer, he isn't a psycho. He is just backwoods, ignorant, and cooking is ALL HE KNOWS, killing is all Leatherface and the Hitchhiker know. He will avoid it if possible, but once it starts he can't exactly allow witnesses. Which is why he is so comforting to Sally (well attempts to be, I doubt it was any consolation) saying "don't you worry, grandpas the best, takes him one hit, you won't feel a thing". He's basically illustrating that in the family's mind it MUST be done, because that's just how it is in their world. He doesn't like it, feels bad, but it must be done.

They're not a Michael Myers, or a Patrick Bateman, or even a Freddy Krueger. This isn't for fun, it's their job. They don't view it as a criminal act for pleasure, it's just what they know.

I know this is one hell of a long post, but the Texas Chainsaw Massacre legacy is among my favorites in all of Cinema. Every aspect, the "legend", all of it. I have read numerous books and have seen the movies multiple times. The original is truly a landmark in terms of horror, and low budget and indie film overall. I hope I was of some help!
        Check out Film Fanaddict Magazine a new magazine dedicated to Horror, Cult, Exploitation, Martial Arts, Foreign; all forms of Cinema Weirdness.

Comment

As far as I remember, Michael Myers serial killer affliction was explained in the next movie. I believe it went back to Samhain, and for some reason he had to kill every member of his family, and anybody else that got in theway or just irritated him.

We need a little comedy relief with that horror...... makes it perfect.....

Comment

Has anyone seen Scalps and is it any good? I rented it but I have too many to watch before I got to bring them back so I was wondeing if I should skip it or watch it?

Comment

The way I understood it Jason did fully die, and the Necronomicon is what brought him back. I think I got that from New Blood, not positive though. I can't think of a question right now, I'll have to come back later.
              Dear Forum Members : English motherfuckers, do you speak it?

Comment

Originally posted by GrimCalavera
                The way I understood it Jason did fully die, and the Necronomicon is what brought him back. I think I got that from New Blood, not positive though. I can't think of a question right now, I'll have to come back later.
                How do you figure The Necronomicon brought Jason back to life? Is it because The Necronomicon was in the Voorhees house in JGTH? That was just random bullshit. Nothing was brought up in the entire series besides that as the reason for Jason coming back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by ladynos
                  Okay, I'm trying to find out the name of this movie. I saw it on television when I was in the 7th or 8th grade. It's probably pretty cheesy by today's standards, but I remember being surprised by how bloody it was. All I can remember was that there was a guy that had either a greenhouse or a building where he was hiding giant, killer plants. They may have been venus flytraps or at least something like them.

I know it's not much to go on, but that's all I really remember.
                  That might be 'Day of the Triffids' (1962), which was originally filmed in black and white but I own a colorized version of it on VHS. There was also a made-for-TV remake in 1981. But Muffin Man may be right, it might be 'Blood' which you are thinking of. I just remember that a professor in 'Day of the Triffids' has a collection of these man-eating mutant plants which he keeps in a shed, actually I guess it was more like a green-house.

Here's Internet Movie Database's plot summary for Andy Milligan's 'Blood':

"The plot involves one Dr. Orlovski (Allan Berendt), who is afflicted with lycanthropy, and who maintains a garden filled with man-eating plants and settles down to play house with the daughter of Dracula. As if this weren't enough for their neighbors, there are also hordes of rabid bats flying the city, turning the locals into blood-drooling cannibals with severe complexion problems."
                  http://imdb.com/title/tt0071232/plotsummary

And for 'Day of the Triffids' (1962):

"A shower of meteorites produces a glow that blinds anyone that looks at it. As it was such a beautiful sight, most people were watching, and as a consequence, 99% of the population go blind. This chaos results in the escape of some Triffids: experimental plants that are capable of moving themselves around and attacking people."
                  http://imdb.com/title/tt0055894/plotsummary

And the 1981 remake of 'Day of the Triffids' (which I've heard is actually the superior version of the two):

"A terrible catastrophe has struck the population of Earth. Almost everyone on the planet has been rendered blind by the arrival of a bright comet and its debris lighting up the darkened skies, but the brightness has caused permanent eye damage. Bill Masen, who was unable to watch the spectacular but deadly free firework display, finds himself in a nightmarish world where he believes himself to be the only sighted person left. But soon he finds a soul-mate, Jo Pleyton, who can also see. As the days progress, they find more and more sighted people and together they make plans to build a future. But there is a problem. A walking, carnivorous plant called a "Triffid," which up until now was kept safely in paddocks and zoos, has broken free and has discovered a taste for rotting, human flesh. The remaining blind are helpless and many fall prey to the Triffids' lethal whipping sting, but can the sighted keep this fearful plant at bay?"
                  http://imdb.com/title/tt0081850/plotsummary
                  "A truly successful cinematic accomplishment inevitably results in the absolute compulsion of the viewer to discuss the film in question with one or more others for the duration of at least a good fifteen minutes, subsequent to initial screening."

Comment

Originally posted by Ehren1984
                    Originally posted by SYL
                    I have a few TCM questions.
                    Why did the hitchhiker even appear at the begging of the movie? If you think about it, theres no reason as to why he should be in that part of the movie. Well, now that it think of it, maybe he was sent to get people for the family, and when he smeared the blood in the van, it was kind of a message for the cook at the gas station...sounds plausible...but maybe he was just there to tell the audience that if they thought that was disturbing, wait till you see whats coming...

Also, why did the cook tell the kids to stay away from the old franklin house, if heīs own house was near by? Was it heīs good side trying to help them? Or was he just trying to make the kids curious?
                    Alright, it's hard to tell because The Cook is yelling at The Hitchhiker somewhat indecipherably, but when The Cook pulls up at the house with Sally in his truck and starts beating the Hitchhiker he's yelling "where have you been?!" "I told you stop stop messin around in that graveyard!" , etc. These aren't criminal masterminds, brilliantly plotting their acts. Someone wanders too close to the house or gets stranded, Leatherface goes hunting, and they slaughter them for sale as barbecue. So, in essence, The Hitchhiker was bored during the day basically and went out messin around. The weird "artwork" at the graveyard at the beginning of the film wasn't anything superbly sinister to taunt the news or police, it was their way of having fun. The Hitchhiker was out during the day, wandering around, and was walking back and saw the chance to have a ride. He didn't think "I'll kill these kids" he thought "hey a ride!" but he was so devoid of ANY social skills and had no ability to interact with normalcy that he ended up mutilating himself, trying to impress the kids with his knife (its all he has and knows), and eventually getting upset when they mock him and won't buy his picture. They kick him out of the car, and it's basically implied that when The Cook pulls up with Sally, The Hitchhiker was just then getting home, as he had to walk all day.

Also, Siedow warned the kids, yes. Did he want them to die? No. He and the Hitchhiker both mention jobs being ruined by technological advances at the Slaughterhouse which employed their family. Slaughter is all they know...the cattle goes to the proper slaughterhouse, so if they want to "work" they have to go for something else. The Hitchhiker says to The Cook at the dinner table, "you're just a COOK! We have to do all the work!" and the cook replies with "you watch your tongue...I just can't take no pleasure in killing."...The Cook isn't a murderer, he isn't a psycho. He is just backwoods, ignorant, and cooking is ALL HE KNOWS, killing is all Leatherface and the Hitchhiker know. He will avoid it if possible, but once it starts he can't exactly allow witnesses. Which is why he is so comforting to Sally (well attempts to be, I doubt it was any consolation) saying "don't you worry, grandpas the best, takes him one hit, you won't feel a thing". He's basically illustrating that in the family's mind it MUST be done, because that's just how it is in their world. He doesn't like it, feels bad, but it must be done.

They're not a Michael Myers, or a Patrick Bateman, or even a Freddy Krueger. This isn't for fun, it's their job. They don't view it as a criminal act for pleasure, it's just what they know.

I know this is one hell of a long post, but the Texas Chainsaw Massacre legacy is among my favorites in all of Cinema. Every aspect, the "legend", all of it. I have read numerous books and have seen the movies multiple times. The original is truly a landmark in terms of horror, and low budget and indie film overall. I hope I was of some help!
                    That sure did help, man! Thanks a lot!
                    And youīre right about the movie and the legend. This is simply a masterpiece. Nothing more, nothing less. Sheer brilliance. I couldnīt express through words how much i love this movie. It got me into horror. Its been 2 years now. Ive yet to see the other 3 sequels, no matter how much they suck.
                    You know what else? Tobe hooper said that no one understood the sense of humour used in the first movie. I think i got most of it. The howlings at the table, Franklin mad at Sally in the old house, Kirk laughing his ass off because of Franklinīs naive innocence, the kidīs eating the food from the bbq, so on, so on...

"Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again."

- Rustin Cohle

Comment

Dead flesh definitely freezes, what you've never peeled back a dead frozen animal stuck to the ground in the middle of a winter before? it happens....

Comment

Originally posted by MidnyteBlooms
                        Dead flesh definitely freezes, what you've never peeled back a dead frozen animal stuck to the ground in the middle of a winter before? it happens....
                        Thank you.

Comment

No problem.

Comment

Regarding Andy Milligan's "Blood", you guys may be right. I don't remember werewolves or Dracula's daughter, but it's been years and the plants are what stands out in my mind. Thank you.
                            "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
                            H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping that someone can tell me the title of a movie that came out sometime in the 80's. When I was a kid, I saw a preview for a horror movie that I really wanted to see, but I was not old enough to go. I started thinking about it again, and I'm really interested in finding out what it is. I don't have a lot of details (it was about 20 years ago and all I saw was a preview) but here goes...

All I remember was that there were some poeple in a crypt, and the corpses came alive. The only other thing that I remember, is that one of the characters - a girl I think- had this yellow toothbrush in her mouth all the time.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadFan
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping that someone can tell me the title of a movie that came out sometime in the 80's. When I was a kid, I saw a preview for a horror movie that I really wanted to see, but I was not old enough to go. I started thinking about it again, and I'm really interested in finding out what it is. I don't have a lot of details (it was about 20 years ago and all I saw was a preview) but here goes...

All I remember was that there were some poeple in a crypt, and the corpses came alive. The only other thing that I remember, is that one of the characters - a girl I think- had this yellow toothbrush in her mouth all the time.

Can anyone help me out??

Thanks!
                                Hmmm.... Either you're mixing up two movies, or this is just a coincidence.
                                "Pandemonium" took place at a cheerleader camp. One of the girls always drank milk, one of the girls always was brushing her teeth. Really silly, but funny, had a bunch of stars in it... but, I don't remember anything about a crypt.

-M
                                Thank yall for being my friends - travel down the road and back again.

Comment

Working...
                                X