Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This film looks so scary!
    ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"

Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by ClonedBeef View Post
      Then screw the disingenuous cherry-picking intro TCM had for this. They portrayed it as the first film where disabled people were portrayed with some sense of normalcy and respect. They forgot to mention that behind the scenes bit.
      Originally posted by CountOrlok View Post
      Where did you find out this info? If true, that does say much about the attitudes of the time. It wouldn't surprise me.
      I've read about the "freaks" having to eat at their own table a few times. In fairness many of the cast and crew were making the film with good intentions but this was 1932 when prejudice and ignorance was going strong. The context of the times makes the film more admirable.

There's also some nice bits of trivia: "F. Scott Fitzgerald was a member of the MGM writing department at the time the movie was in production. He never felt quite at home with all the movie stars and powerful moguls, and so he often dined in the commissary at the table of the sideshow attractions (freaks) during his lunch hour. "

Comment

• If I remember right they mentioned some of the uneasiness between the cast and the "freaks" in "The 100 Scariest Movie Moments".
        “I know you’re ‘good’ people. I know you mean well… But you just didn’t think it through…. There is only one path to peace… Your extermination.” - Ultron (Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Comment

• Excellent film, it's a shame about the prejudices at the time but they make the thing more remarkable.
          "I'm gonna put something in you, make the devil feel surprised".-Mazzy Star

Comment

• Easily my favorite Tod Browning film which is no small task given his body of work. Watching Prince Randian take a match from a matchbox and light a cigarette using only his mouth is still one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.
            "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Comment

• Originally posted by Art School Dropout View Post
              Easily my favorite Tod Browning film which is no small task given his body of work. Watching Prince Randian take a match from a matchbox and light a cigarette using only his mouth is still one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.
              Yeah, Prince Randian was awesome! Rolling and lighting cigarettes was the main part of his performance at the carnivals. He also fathered 5 children so I guess he could perform a fair few tricks .

Comment

Working...
              X