No announcement yet.

Freaks (1932)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TCM plays this one a lot, and I will sit and watch every single time I catch it while its on.
    * Check out my daily blog, The Vault of Horror, for news, opinion and other cool stuff...

Comment

I found 'Freaks' to be painfully boring. Probably the worst movie of the 20's-40's I've ever watched.

To me it just seemed like a way to exploit physically 'deformed' people.

But I guess that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashid View Post
        I found 'Freaks' to be painfully boring. Probably the worst movie of the 20's-40's I've ever watched.

To me it just seemed like a way to exploit physically 'deformed' people.

But I guess that's just me.
        Yep, it's just you.
        www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com

HELP FUND OUR FEATURE FILM!!!

Comment

Freaks is a great movie. Shame it killed Tod Browning's career.

Comment

Great, great film. My favorite that I've seen from Browning, genuinely unnerving.
            sigpic RUN from this man!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
              Yep, it's just you.
              LOL'D

TROOF.

Comment

No doubt there is an element of exploitation to Freaks, but the exploitation genre of movies was once a huge one, and you could argue that Freaks started it all.
                * Check out my daily blog, The Vault of Horror, for news, opinion and other cool stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by The Vault of Horror View Post
                  No doubt there is an element of exploitation to Freaks, but the exploitation genre of movies was once a huge one, and you could argue that Freaks started it all.
                  I don't find FREAKS to have a single exploitative bone in it's twisted little body. This is the most humanistic horror film I've ever seen. It's much more a celebration of the "sideshow" life than a mere "look at this!" film. Browning did not set out to exploit his performers. That's obvious in not only his background but also from the way his film shines with love for all those "freaks".

Comment

That midget couple are great! This movie trips me out, and I really need to get it on DVD. That black guy with no appendages who lights the cigar with his mouth, that's bad ass!

Comment

I love the scene when the clown (can't remember his name) is complimenting Schlitzie on her dress. The interaction there just seems so sweet.

Also, did you guys know that the original ending had the Freaks castrating Hercules?

Comment

I LOVE FReaks, don't get me wrong. but ur kidding urself if u think that the whole "look at these freaks" curiosity factor wasn't a big part of the film's allure. i mean it's CALLED "Freaks" for crying out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by HammeroftheGods View Post
                          I love the scene when the clown (can't remember his name) is complimenting Schlitzie on her dress. The interaction there just seems so sweet.
                          I love that part.

Comment

Originally posted by The Vault of Horror View Post
                            I LOVE FReaks, don't get me wrong. but ur kidding urself if u think that the whole "look at these freaks" curiosity factor wasn't a big part of the film's allure. i mean it's CALLED "Freaks" for crying out loud.
                            That may have been a reason that people went to see it, but I bet those people were thoroughly disappointed, as FREAKS really isn't exploitive at all. Just because the cast is made up of "freaks" doesn't mean Browning was exploiting that... In fact, he wasn't. At all.

Have you seen the movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                              That may have been a reason that people went to see it, but I bet those people were thoroughly disappointed, as FREAKS really isn't exploitive at all. Just because the cast is made up of "freaks" doesn't mean Browning was exploiting that... In fact, he wasn't. At all.

Have you seen the movie?
                              Thanks for making my argument for me!

Comment

I have to dissagree where - i think the Carny folk are shown in a very matter of fact 'ordinary way' I think Browning was a barker in a carny for a while, so obviously understands the lifestyle.

As for the title - I think it makes you think - 'yeah this is a film about Carny Freaks..' but then you watch it and it kinda dispels your preconception - You kinda think of the Strongman and his GF as the Freaks....

Eitherway a great film - Most of the stars were very famous sideshow performers at the time - Johnny Eck, the Hiltons, Prince Radian and the bearded lady..

Also hard to believe that Angelo Rossitto was in and was still acting 53 years later as Master((Blaster) in Mad Max 3..

Arkham Drive-In - The Home of Lovecraftian Film Trailers

Comment

Working...
                                X