Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Invisible Man (1933)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Bob View Post
    I hate myself for not giving this movie a chance sooner. Claude Rains is outstanding.

    Such an amazing film, that lives in the shadow of the bigger three.
    "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





    "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


    You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
    Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
    My little idiot..

    Comment


    • #32
      By far my favorite Universal classic.

      Comment


      • #33
        My second favorite old school Universal horror, right behind Frankenstein. It's incredible how well the movie holds up to this day.

        So many great lines, and the scenes with Rains terrorizing the townspeople are hilarious. I still laugh my ass off when he knocks over the baby stroller.

        My DVD's/Blu's

        Comment


        • #34
          I love this movie. Claude Rains plays the most awesomely despicable twat in it. Such a brilliant character.
          Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by travisbickle View Post
            My second favorite old school Universal horror, right behind Frankenstein. It's incredible how well the movie holds up to this day.

            So many great lines, and the scenes with Rains terrorizing the townspeople are hilarious. I still laugh my ass off when he knocks over the baby stroller.

            It's great.

            I can't believe how amazing it looks, even the BluRay, there is only a small amount of scenes, where you can see a SMALL outline of the man. In most he is still completely invisible. It's so crazy how they did it.

            Originally posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
            I love this movie. Claude Rains plays the most awesomely despicable twat in it. Such a brilliant character.

            Agreed. He is great in it.
            "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it." -- Mark Twain





            "I do not see why man should not be just as cruel as nature." -- Adolf Hitler


            You are a sadistic, volatile and all over out of control internet cruise missile, that's what you are, Oxley.
            Do you have American animals in your Zoo's? Like Bears, Elephants and Giraffes?
            My little idiot..

            Comment


            • #36
              This one is very underrated and overlooked as everyone blows their wad on Dracula, The Wolfman and Frankenstein. Claude Raines is terrifying and hilarious in this, and for an old film the effects are very well done and still hold up today.

              This and Black Lagoon are my fave Universal Horror movies.

              Comment


              • #37
                Great movie. Rains did a great job as the invisible man.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by oxley View Post
                  I can't believe how amazing it looks, even the BluRay, there is only a small amount of scenes, where you can see a SMALL outline of the man. In most he is still completely invisible. It's so crazy how they did it.
                  How did they do it? When I was watching it, I was amazed! A great film!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by prettyscary View Post
                    How did they do it? When I was watching it, I was amazed! A great film!
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inv...pecial_effects

                    Ingenious stuff, really. It's amazing, the ways in which they would pull this stuff off. Even now, those effects are impressive.
                    Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inv...pecial_effects

                      Ingenious stuff, really. It's amazing, the ways in which they would pull this stuff off. Even now, those effects are impressive.
                      Yes! I think that's what I love most about any practical effect. It's like watching a magician and thinking," How did they do that?"

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by prettyscary View Post
                        Yes! I think that's what I love most about any practical effect. It's like watching a magician and thinking," How did they do that?"
                        Very much in agreement. They could make an Invisible Man movie tomorrow and we'd mostly take it for granted that the special effects had been created via PC magic. We wouldn't really give the creation of those modern effects any thought whatsoever.

                        But these older films? I just love the idea that, one day, the director went up to the special effects guys and said, "This movie needs a scene where an invisible man rides a bicycle" and then they had to come up with practical ways to make it a reality. I admire the inventiveness, the combination of ways in which they achieved those scenes.
                        Mayhem. In a boilersuit.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Glad Claude Raines is getting lots of love

                          Originally posted by Rusted View Post
                          This one is very underrated and overlooked as everyone blows their wad on Dracula, The Wolfman and Frankenstein. Claude Raines is terrifying and hilarious in this, and for an old film the effects are very well done and still hold up today.

                          This and Black Lagoon are my fave Universal Horror movies.
                          Frankenstein is my favorite followed by The Wolfman then Black Lagoon. Personally I don't rate Dracula too highly and neither do many critics but everyone remembers and praises its legacy.

                          Originally posted by Boilersuit_Mayhem View Post
                          But these older films? I just love the idea that, one day, the director went up to the special effects guys and said, "This movie needs a scene where an invisible man rides a bicycle" and then they had to come up with practical ways to make it a reality. I admire the inventiveness, the combination of ways in which they achieved those scenes.
                          Yeah practical effects are like watching a magic trick. When he unwraps the bandages revealing his invisibility I still held the wonderment the audiences must have had back in the day.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            ...

                            It's hard to believe this was made in the 1930's because it has the polish of something from the 40's when the filmmakers started to iron out some of the wrinkles.
                            A prohibitionist is the sort of man one couldn't care to drink with, even if he drank.
                            H. L. Mencken

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              One of my favorite James Whale films. Claude Rains' voice in this movie is what really sells the character and makes him terrifying.
                              "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I saw this last night and thought that it was absolutely hilarious! But in a good way

                                That landlady had me howling with laughter and Claude Rains' camp antics were a joy to watch. The effects hold up really well, although some of them are laughable, it's all part of the entertainment.

                                It's the hammy acting and bizarre screenplay that make this film a joy to watch. At only 70 minutes long, it never loses steam. A very well-made film considering its age.

                                7/10
                                ""I was perfect"- Nina Sayers"


                                Have a looky at my new horror movie blog!

                                http://asdaman.wordpress.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X