Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invisible Man (1933)

The Invisible Man (1933)

I'm not the biggest universal horror fan but I really enjoyed this film, more so than the others I have seen so far. The only thing that holds me back from giving this 10/10 is the incredibly annoying Una O'Connor. I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point. Also the effects were brilliant for the time.

[YOUTUBE]KY-ddVDk2do[/YOUTUBE]

Originally posted by depecheanix View Post
    I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point.

Great film though.

So are you going through a James Whale phase now?

Enjoy this clip of SON OF THE INVISIBLE MAN from the film AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON:
    [YOUTUBE]molIxMGVkvw[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by superfry; 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by superfry View Post

Great film though.

So are you going through a James Whale phase now?
      I somehow knew you'd be the first to respond.

He's ok, out of his films this is my favorite so far. I have to do an essay on Universal horror and need to pick 2 films to compare. I'll probably go with this and Frankenstein. Though I still don't understand the big fuss over Bride of Frankenstein.

Come on! A remake of this film could be great if someone competent enough got hold of it.

Comment

I somehow knew you'd be the first to respond.

He's ok, out of his films this is my favorite so far. I have to do an essay on Universal horror and need to pick 2 films to compare. I'll probably go with this and Frankenstein. Though I still don't understand the big fuss over Bride of Frankenstein.
        I would suggest comparing one from the early 30s to one from the mid 40s (say, FRANKENSTEIN to SON OF... or GHOST OF...).

There's all kinds of comparisons: directorial styles, censorship issues, pre-war sensibilities to war time, changing attitudes (the 30's films were considered for adults, the 40s- made with kids in mind), etc.

Come on! A remake of this film could be great if someone competent enough got hold of it.
        Aye. There's the rub.

Check out the clip that I edited into my previous post.

Best remake of it there'll ever be!

Comment

I would suggest comparing one from the early 30s to one from the mid 40s (say, FRANKENSTEIN to SON OF... or GHOST OF...).

There's all kinds of comparisons: directorial styles, censorship issues, pre-war sensibilities to war time, changing attitudes (the 30's films were considered for adults, the 40s- made with kids in mind), etc.

Aye. There's the rub.

Check out the clip that I edited into my previous post.

Best remake of it there'll ever be!
          I chose those two because I have to pick similarities between them, not a comparison as in picking differences.

As for thoughts of a remake, unfortunately I don't think there are any modern horror directors out there who could pull it off.... which is a shame.

Yeah I saw that clip before, funny stuff. How is that film? Worth checking out?

Comment

I chose those two because I have to pick similarities between them, not a comparison as in picking differences.
            Ohhhhhhhh....

As for thoughts of a remake, unfortunately I don't think there are any modern horror directors out there who could pull it off.... which is a shame.
            Dante or Landis could do it justice, I think.

Yeah I saw that clip before, funny stuff. How is that film? Worth checking out?
            Definitely. HIGHLY recommended.

Some of it is a bit dated (the 80s, y'know), but the best bits still hold up.

Make sure you watch through the credits!

Comment

Dante or Landis could do it justice, I think.
              True. Does Dante still direct?

Comment

I'd love to see a real remake of this film at some point.
                What, "The Hollow Man" not good enough for you!

Actually, the BBC did quite a good job at a "real" remake in the 1980's (done about the same time, and on a quality par with their "Day of the Triffids"). Unfortunately it's never been released in R1 DVD (I have the British R2 release). Like Triffids, it's 6 30 minute episodes, so it really puts a bit of meat on the story. imdb link here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087478/

Though it's a testament to Whale's version that after 50 years the SFX in the original were probably still better. And there's no topping Claude Raines as the lead.

Comment

True. Does Dante still direct?
                  He's been doing TV lately, like CSI and some other stuff.

And I totally dug both of his MASTERS OF HORROR episodes.

He's got a segment I think in the upcoming anthology TRAPPED ASHES.

I don't know if he's done any other theatrical films since SMALL SOLDIERS.

Maybe he did a LOONEY TUNES movie or something like that since?

I should look him up. I've always liked the guy.

Comment

Yeah I've always liked him, he's a really smart guy too. I absolutely hated his short 'Homecoming' though.

I'll probably check out that BBC series. As for Hollowman, I was really surprised to see that even though The Invisible Man is a much shorter movie it deals with so much more of the problems that would arise if you were invisible. Hollow Man was just yet another slasher unfortunatly.

Imdb has a remake slated for 2010. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051906/

Comment

Yeah I've always liked him, he's a really smart guy too. I absolutely hated his short 'Homecoming' though.
                      Bah! It was decent.

I'll probably check out that BBC series. As for Hollowman, I was really surprised to see that even though The Invisible Man is a much shorter movie it deals with so much more of the problems that would arise if you were invisible. Hollow Man was just yet another slasher unfortunatly.
                      You're right.

Imdb has a remake slated for 2010. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051906/
                      UGH! Probably end up with some stupid former music video director with no idea of what made the original so great at the helm too.

Comment

This is an outstanding film, very underrated among the Universal pics. Well-acted with a wicked sense of humor throughout. And the special effects are amazing. Incidentally, if you're doing an essay on Universal horror, I just finished an essay on my blog a few days ago on this era of horror films. Click on my signature link if you think it might help you. It's the last post on the main page.
                        * Check out my daily blog, The Vault of Horror, for news, opinion and other cool stuff...

Comment

I agree w/ TVoH, outstanding Universal Horror film. It was one of the first attempts at special effects, by Universal anyways. They talk a little about about that very subject on the Invivible Man Legacy Collection. Claude Raines, who you may also know The Wolfman's dad in Universal's other monster movie, did an incredible job potraying how the invisilbity power drove him insane, really superb acting preformance.

Comment

I have it at home and I think I`m going to watch it now...

Death Metal - DOOMED

Comment

Originally posted by Malfeitor View Post
                              Claude Raines, who you may also know The Wolfman's dad in Universal's other monster movie, did an incredible job potraying how the invisilbity power drove him insane, really superb acting preformance.
                              "We'll start with a few murders. Big men, little men - just to show we make no distinction! "

I agree, it was a great performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X