Dracula (1931)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
    Just because it's a "classic" doesn't make it good. There are a lot of good arguments in this thread, but personally I find Dracula to be the most dissapointing of the classic Universal monster flicks. Ok, besides The Mummy, that one just doesn't have anything going for it. In my opinion the first two Frankenstein films and both The Invisible Man and The Wolfman are way better movies than Dracula, beating it in both mood, cinematography and drama. Lugosi is definitely awesome, but to me he's more or less all Browning had going for him in that movie.
    You can honestly say that the Wolfman was better than Dracula?! Wow. Lame.

http://www.myspace.com/manid_13

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
      I'm not sure which one I prefer, but The Invisible Man IS freakin' awesome and way underrated compared to the other films of the period...

http://www.myspace.com/manid_13

Comment

Originally posted by Bela Lugosi III View Post
        You can honestly say that the Wolfman was better than Dracula?! Wow. Lame.
        I just said it...honest!

Comment

I think the only universal monster movie that comes half way close to Dracula is Bride of Frankenstein. And I still don't think that movie is a hair on Dracula's ass.

Comment

DRACULA

Hey, Blake...

I agree about "Bride"...so where can I get "The Wacky World of Dr. Morgus"....I'm from New Orleans and have never seen it...have you?

You know what scene I HATE in "Dracula"? It's when Dracula is introducing himself to Mina, Seward, Etc at the opera...Browning has Lugosi standing two steps down from Seward...making him look very short...that was really bad directing there....also...what happened to the vampire women?...still roaming around, I guess...it took me years to realize that apparantly Renfield's wine was drugged....I thought he fainted because of the bat....the sets will never be equalled, will they? Whenever I read the book I always picture that set....It's also funny that a lot of people think this takes place in the 1800s...nope...that's 1930 London we're looking at....Van Sloan is the best Van Helsing (sorry Peter Cushing)and Fry is the best Renfield....that laugh! I think Renfield has a few too many scenes, though...a little more of Lugosi would have been better....of course it took decades to find out what Renfield does to the unconcious maid on the floor....I looks like he either bites or gropes her...but the Spanish version lets us know...she had a fly on her face! I still do not like the Spanish version....the vampire women are pretty cool, though...kind of vicious-looking....

Comment

Hey Bio. I have never seen wacky world but you can buy it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacky-World-Dr...7018470&sr=8-1

Comment

DRACULA

Thanks, Blake. Amazon used to carry it, then it was gone...now, thanks to you, I see it's back. Very rare, B&W...circa 1962 or so.

Back to "Dracula"....the long silences...then a wolf howl....total "graveyard cinema".

I always thought it was very "coy" to show Mina slowly going to Jonathan with that look in her eyes...and then...nothing...Van Helsing and her screaming....

I also love the way Jonathan just slips away to leave Van Helsing alone with Dracula....

So, there's a still of Dracula looking at 3 coffin-boxes....I've heard about 15 minutes were cut from the release print back in 1931...the 3 boxes must have been the 3 vampire women....

Comment

You know what my favorite thing about this movie is?

The Armadillo. Who knew Dracula loved Armadillos?

On the real though, I love the atmosphere in this movie.

And whoever said Lugosi is all Browning had in this movie...Dwight Frye is incredible. His little rant about Dracula coming through the red mist with all the rats...so creepy.

Comment

Even tho Lugosi is my hero, I don't think this movie was all Bela by any means. It had it all. Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan both kicked ass. also I think Charles Gerrard was the shit as Martin. (he's CRAzy!)

Comment

DRACULA

Originally posted by Blake View Post
                      Even tho Lugosi is my hero, I don't think this movie was all Bela by any means. It had it all. Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan both kicked ass. also I think Charles Gerrard was the shit as Martin. (he's CRAzy!)
                      They're ALL crazy 'cept you and me...sometimes I 'ave me doubts 'bout you....

Comment

Great movie, Lugosi rules! But I find "Frank Langella" and "Christopher Lee" scarier in the role!

Comment

DRACULA

Chris Lee..yes...Langella...scary? Langella is a very good actor, though. Want to see a new Dracula that is pretty close to the book? Check out Patrick Bergin in "Dracula's Curse"...a modern version of the novel...made about 3-4 years ago...kinda scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                            Chris Lee..yes...Langella...scary? Langella is a very good actor, though. Want to see a new Dracula that is pretty close to the book? Check out Patrick Bergin in "Dracula's Curse"...a modern version of the novel...made about 3-4 years ago...kinda scary.
                            Langella I think was kinda scary, when he was crawling up the wall and looking thru the window! I remember being a little kid and sitting right in front of the tv. Then when he look's thru the window he look's like he's looking right at you!

Dracula's Curse sound's interesting, I'll have to check that out thanks!

Comment

DRACULA

I totally agree....that's Langella's best scene. He's crawling up the wall and gives us a "what you lookin' at?" glare. His scratchig at the window is creepy, too. Too "romantic" to be scary, for me at least...but he is a very good actor...have you ever noticed how he makes his eyes spin when he's talking to Van Helsing?

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                                I totally agree....that's Langella's best scene. He's crawling up the wall and gives us a "what you lookin' at?" glare. His scratchig at the window is creepy, too. Too "romantic" to be scary, for me at least...but he is a very good actor...have you ever noticed how he makes his eyes spin when he's talking to Van Helsing?
                                Didn't notice the eye spin thing I'll have to watch it again!

Another Langella, role I liked was when he played "Skeletor" in the He-Man movie!

Comment

Working...
                                X