Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dracula (1931)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    I have lived with this movie for 40 years....the things that never grow old are the Lugosi performance and the sets....

    The Spanish version is NOT better than this one...also beware of the version with the Glass scrore added...this movie is poetic in it's grave silences....
    I totally agree the movie is much better without that Glass score. It overpowers the movie. It is a classic and as such should be left as the makers intended
    Every time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain. Doh!!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by hando88c View Post
      Didn't notice the eye spin thing I'll have to watch it again!

      Another Langella, role I liked was when he played "Skeletor" in the He-Man movie!
      He was great in "The Ninth Gate" and "Lolita" as well....the list goes on...but those two stick in my mind...I met him two years ago in New Orleans walking with what must have been his granddaughter. I smiled and waved and he seemed very pleased that I wasn't obstrusive.... he nodded ...and beamed a smile....a real classy guy. The kid said "He knew you!"...she must have been 7 years old....

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
        He was great in "The Ninth Gate" and "Lolita" as well....
        I agree... especially in Lolita. That may not be the superior film version of the story, nor is it the superior Claire Quilty (though he does play Quilty closer to the novel, IMO), but Langella is indeed great.


        As for the debate between the Spanish and American versions... As classic, and definitive as the Lugosi performance is, I really think the Spanish version is much more technically adept, and shows a better use of all of the elements of film, creating, overall, a more exciting, interesting, stimulating picture, where the Lugosi version, aside from the wonderful acting, is fairly static, and feels far too much like it's stage heritage.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Doc View Post
          I agree... especially in Lolita. That may not be the superior film version of the story, nor is it the superior Claire Quilty (though he does play Quilty closer to the novel, IMO), but Langella is indeed great.


          As for the debate between the Spanish and American versions... As classic, and definitive as the Lugosi performance is, I really think the Spanish version is much more technically adept, and shows a better use of all of the elements of film, creating, overall, a more exciting, interesting, stimulating picture, where the Lugosi version, aside from the wonderful acting, is fairly static, and feels far too much like it's stage heritage.
          Man, that was an extremely intellegent review...but Carlos Clarens looks kinda goofy. Yeah, the Lugosi version looks like it was made in 1930...the Spanish version in 1940. I find the Lugosi version to have more of an air of poetry. "Static" it is, though..

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
            but Carlos Clarens looks kinda goofy.
            I will always be the first to admit that Lugosi is the better Dracula.

            Comment


            • #36
              DRACULA

              I was amazed when they found a print of the Spanish version...it was thought to be "lost" for decades.

              The vampire women are better in the Spanish version, too....Renfield has a good scene laughing insanely on the ship, I've also noticed that the actors tend to expose their teeth in this version...something the Lugosi version made of point of hiding. What's strange is they don't have fangs, which makes one think the bites would be pretty messy.

              I've always wondered why Universal never gave any of their vampires fangs and that in some of their movies (Son of Dracula, House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula) there aren't even any bite scenes (but plenty of "bite poses in stills...go figure). In "Son of Dracula" I also noticed he bit or attempted to bite three males (one child) and one woman...all off-screen, of course.

              Did Lugosi bite Renfield? No marks are visible. Is Renfield gay in the Lugosi version? It sure comes across that way. Lugosi seems to be smug about his effect on him, doesn't he?

              In "Nosferatu"..."Dracula"... "Horror of Dracula" "Jess Franco's Count Dracula" (the first 4 versions of the novel...5 counting the Universal Spanish version) the screenwriters have all decided to make Dracula's first victim male...yes...the screen's first vampire bite was male-on-male).

              I haven't seen this aspect mentioned, which, to me, was always so blatant in the Lugosi version. Of course, no sex is occuring, but Fry's performance is very "fey" and why is Jonathan sleeping in Dracula's coffin in "Horror of Dracula"? We know, of course, about the lesbian over-tones of "Dracula's Daughter"...

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                I was amazed when they found a print of the Spanish version...it was thought to be "lost" for decades.

                The vampire women are better in the Spanish version, too....Renfield has a good scene laughing insanely on the ship, I've also noticed that the actors tend to expose their teeth in this version...something the Lugosi version made of point of hiding. What's strange is they don't have fangs, which makes one think the bites would be pretty messy.

                I've always wondered why Universal never gave any of their vampires fangs and that in some of their movies (Son of Dracula, House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula) there aren't even any bite scenes (but plenty of "bite poses in stills...go figure). In "Son of Dracula" I also noticed he bit or attempted to bite three males (one child) and one woman...all off-screen, of course.

                Did Lugosi bite Renfield? No marks are visible. Is Renfield gay in the Lugosi version? It sure comes across that way. Lugosi seems to be smug about his effect on him, doesn't he?

                In "Nosferatu"..."Dracula"... "Horror of Dracula" "Jess Franco's Count Dracula" (the first 4 versions of the novel...5 counting the Universal Spanish version) the screenwriters have all decided to make Dracula's first victim male...yes...the screen's first vampire bite was male-on-male).

                I haven't seen this aspect mentioned, which, to me, was always so blatant in the Lugosi version. Of course, no sex is occuring, but Fry's performance is very "fey" and why is Jonathan sleeping in Dracula's coffin in "Horror of Dracula"? We know, of course, about the lesbian over-tones of "Dracula's Daughter"...

                Yeah' "Dracula's Daughter" was awesome I thought it would've made the film better if there was some HLA!

                Comment


                • #38
                  DRACULA

                  "HLA"...? "Hot lesbian action"?

                  When James Whale was going to direct it, there was a script that was heavy in kink and bondage, etc. They, of course, couldn't handle that...so we get Gloria Holden telling the girl to come to her place, take her blouse off and pull the straps down then glide up to her...a leering statue watches the "action"....I'm not sure, but I think the lesbian over-tones didn't start popping up until "BLOOD AND ROSES" in 1960, which, by the way, has a topless scene in it..maybe the first for a horror movie...of course it was French. Then came the "Jean Rollin" French films and then Hammer's "The Vampire Lovers"....

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                    "HLA"...? "Hot lesbian action"?

                    When James Whale was going to direct it, there was a script that was heavy in kink and bondage, etc. They, of course, couldn't handle that...so we get Gloria Holden telling the girl to come to her place, take her blouse off and pull the straps down then glide up to her...a leering statue watches the "action"....I'm not sure, but I think the lesbian over-tones didn't start popping up until "BLOOD AND ROSES" in 1960, which, by the way, has a topless scene in it..maybe the first for a horror movie...of course it was French. Then came the "Jean Rollin" French films and then Hammer's "The Vampire Lovers"....
                    Yeah' you got it haha!

                    The Vampire Lover's is a great movie lot's of nudity and great horror!

                    "Ingrid Pitt" naked, is reason enough to buy this film! Especially when she's in the tub dripping wet!


                    I just found my dvd of "Dracula" the tv movie from the 70's starring "Jack Palance" it's pretty good it's like a cross between Dark Shadows and Hammer films!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      *takes notes furiously*

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I have never seen this. I will very soon.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by hando88c View Post
                          Yeah' you got it haha!

                          The Vampire Lover's is a great movie lot's of nudity and great horror!

                          "Ingrid Pitt" naked, is reason enough to buy this film! Especially when she's in the tub dripping wet!


                          I just found my dvd of "Dracula" the tv movie from the 70's starring "Jack Palance" it's pretty good it's like a cross between Dark Shadows and Hammer films!
                          Ingrid in the tub...wow...:: But the Palance Dracula kind of irritates me. I loved "Dark Shadows" and "House of Dark Shadows"...Dan Curtis copies scenes from "House" almost exactly in "Dracula"...Palance was decent...there was a little "Night Stalker" (more Curtis) in his actions. Murray Brown was a good Jonathan and Fiona Lewis looked gorgeous as Lucy...but her vampire act was kinda strange...really rushed....maybe she was thirsty...all of Palance's agony and screaming gets a little funny and his reactions to the sun were kinda campy....good photography and production....Robert "Dark Shadows" Cobert music to remind you that you're watching a "Dan Curtis Production"...a little trivia here...I have always been a Bram Stoker "freak" so when I saw this advertised I was excitied...then, the night that it was supposed to play it was preempted by Richard Nixon's resignation...I had to wait months and months for them to reschedule it...talk about agony....then, years later I go see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and it all takes place on the night that Nixon resigned....what a night!

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Talking of Dracula movies anyone remember the BBC production with Louis Jourdan as the Count and Frank Finlay as Van Helsing. It was released in the very late seventies I believe and although its been many a year since I have seen it I remember it being actually very good, atmospheric and pretty close to Bram Stoker's original novel.
                            Every time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain. Doh!!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Are you just studying hard for homoerotic overtones in things?

                              A vampire is essentially an animal. It does not care what sex its victim is, it just wants food.

                              It is possible that Renfield may have been a flamer but Dracula couldn’t care less, he was just after his blood.

                              Of course in later films sexuality was introduced into it to sell movies.


                              Dracula is a great film even though it is pretty much shot like a stage play.

                              Many people say that Bride of Frankenstein is a superior film to most other Universal Monster movies but I find it to be a bit silly especially the Dr. Pretorius bits. Come on, the little bitty King and Queen thing is almost embarrassing to watch. I’d much rather watch the first Frankenstein, Dracula, or the Wolf Man.
                              I ain't no backdoor wolf. I don't scratch at no doors.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I've seen so many of these old horror movies for so many years that I start digging for sub texts and subliminals to keep it fresh...Dracula was straight, no doubt about it....when a vampire bites someone it's usually for food or to enslave them...Dracula enslaved Renfield and Renfield was his "dog"....
                                The Louis Jordan "Dracula" was very close to the book...it's on DVD now...Judi Bowker is my favorite Mina...she's gorgeous and talented...Jordan was O.K....the production was shot on video....
                                Part of the "fun" of those older vampire movies from Hammer and Universal is the sexual change the victims would exhibit once transformed...it's in the novel...someone is real innocent and pure and comes back pansexual....but what it all is is about getting closer to their victims by bullshitting them with sweet talk....I wouldn't call it "gay"...I'd call it "deceptive seduction"...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X