Horror of Dracula (1958)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror of Dracula (1958)

I looked and didn't see a thread on this film so I thought what the hell.

I have never been a huge Hammer fan, mostly because the ones I have seen have been terrible movies (Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, Curse of the Werewolf). However, I decided to finally give this one a chance and I am very glad I did.

Plot:
    From amazon.com

Jonathan Harker a student of vampires ventures to Dracula's castle and attacks him. The revengeful vampire leaves his dark abode to prey on the family of his attacker's fiancee. The only man able to protect Harker and his fiancee is Dr. Van Helsing a friend of Harker's. As a fellow-student of vampires he's determined to destroy Dracula

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ZUlClqrTjA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6ZUlClqrTjA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

After seeing this amazingly great film (I hereby lift my Hammer shun) I am very anxious to see more films they may have made that were of this caliber. Use this thread to discuss not only this film but more in the Hammer Dracula series.

Anxious to hear thoughts and recommendations.
    argueing is a waste of fucking life!
    The Ultimate BD Quote Thread

This movie is awesome. Lee and Cushing turn in fantastic performances. I really think Lee is probably the best Dracula I've ever seen. If you liked this, try Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Also, while I haven't seen it, The Devil Rides Out is often considered one of the best Hammer films. I really should get on that one.

Woops, I didn't read you wrote Dracula series. Well, check out the others as well.
    Last edited by NRA4Ever; 08-30-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

These are the best in the Dracula series, in my opinion:

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness- Directed by Fisher and just as good as Horror Of Dracula in my honest opinion. The acting is really great and the final 'death' scene is really original.

Dracula Has Risen From The Grave- Directed by Freddie Francis and it is a very visual film. Meaning that he used special filters on the cameras so that the movie has a special feel to it.

Taste The Blood Of Dracula- My personal favorite. The storyline is really cool and watching Ralph Bates act is always a good time. Great sets and screenplay. It's a morality tale that happens to have Dracula in it.

Dracula AD 1972- This one is really cheesey but cool at the same time. You have a satanic ceremony and then bad things happen. Caroline Munro covered in blood......

Avoid Scars Of Dracula and Satanic Rites Of Dracula. I like both of them but they are the lesser films of the series.

Also, there is The Brides Of Dracula, which was supposed to be the second film in the series but Lee bowed out. Instead a vampire who isn't Dracula causes trouble. However it has Peter Cushing so it's a really good film.

Besides the Dracula series I would recommend the following vampire Hammer films:

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
      Lust For A vampire
      The Vampire Lovers
      Kiss Of The Vampire

Vampire Circus and Twins Of Evil aren't out on region 1 so all of us US citizens are out of luck when it comes to those two.

Read my review of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
      http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com/misc/misc9.html
      You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.
      My DVD Collection: http://hammer-fangirl.dvdaf.com/owned

Comment

Originally posted by NRA4Ever View Post
        This movie is awesome. Lee and Cushing turn in fantastic performances. I really think Lee is probably the best Dracula I've ever seen. If you liked this, try Dracula Has Risen from the Grave, Curse of Frankenstein, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Also, while I haven't seen it, The Devil Rides Out is often considered one of the best Hammer films. I really should get on that one.
        The Devil Rides Out is a really cool film. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is one of the best Hammer movies I feel, because Cushing gave such a great performance in it. Seeing him play a truly evil character is a great thing to see.

Other Hammer films I would recommend:

Captain Clegg
        The Mummy
        Countess Dracula
        Frankenstein Created Woman
        The Hound Of The Baskervilles
        Plague Of The Zombies
        The Gorgon
        Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde
        The Revenge Of Frankenstein

There's more but I'm tired.

You are nothing more than a disgruntled liberal,kool-aid drinking bumper sticker voter.

Comment

I have seen Bride, and FnMH and didn't really think much of either. Plague of the Zombies wasn't bad. My beef is that sometimes Hammer gets to talky for it's own good and completely botches up the build in plot with these overtly talky scenes and horrible make up effects that take me completely out of the picture (FMBD and Curse of the Werewolf are shining examples of this).

Horror of Dracula, however never had any of these problems. The story, in fact, is what I loved about it. The different take and how it all built up was great. It didn't even make me think about the fact I barely saw Lee in the film at all and his scenes seemed to have some weight to them.

Prince of Darkness looks good and I am also eyeballing up AD 1972 because of the cheese factor.
          Last edited by mrbishop77; 09-01-2008, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbishop77 View Post
            Horror of Dracula, however never had any of these problems. The story, in fact, is what I loved about it. The different take and how it all built up was great. It didn't even make me think about the fact I barely saw Lee in the film at all and his scenes seemed to have some weight to them.
            The Curse of Frankenstein does exactly the same with its retelling too. I really like Lee's makeup in that film.

Comment

Awesome! I just put in an order for a disc with Curse of Frankenstein and Taste the Blood of Dracula together. While I haven't heard very good things about Taste, why not get it if it comes with Curse? I love used DVD's on Amazon. Have yet to be burnt there.

Comment

HORROR OF DRACULA is one of my top 5 fav movies period. lee and cushing are both great. everybody forgot the last film in the dracula series, LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES. its a co-production with Shaw Bros. (legendary hong kong kung fu studio). very fun film with peter cushing as van helsing, no lee but dracula is in the movie as well (changes into an asian looking vampire at beginning). personally i recommend all of the Hammer vampire films. yeah Hammer can get kind of talky at times but they are always atmoshperic and have hot woman as well. the gore was great for the time as well.

Comment

I love the entire Hammer Dracula series, but my favorite would have to be DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.

Comment

Originally posted by superfry View Post
                    I love the entire Hammer Dracula series, but my favorite would have to be DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE.
                    That's a good one. I love the way Freddie Francis used colored filters in it. That film has a very different look to it.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer_fangirl View Post
                      That's a good one. I love the way Freddie Francis used colored filters in it. That film has a very different look to it.
                      Yeah, Francis was a damn good director and had a great eye- one of the best-if not the best of cinematographers too. Dig those scenes on the rooftops!

There's a lot of things I like about RISEN. I liked the characters more than most in the series. Thought Barry Andrews (think that's his name)was a pretty cool protagonist in contrast to some of the stuffier ones. He's great in BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW too- a favorite non-Hammer Brit horror flick of mine.

Andrew Keir does a good job filling in for Van Helsing as the vampire killing monk too.

And Veronica Carlson is one of the best of the "Hammer Girls" IMO.

All the Drac death scenes are great in the series, but the one in RISEN's one of my favorites.

Comment

Yeah, Francis was a damn good director and had a great eye- one of the best-if not the best of cinematographers too. Dig those scenes on the rooftops!

There's a lot of things I like about RISEN. I liked the characters more than most in the series. Thought Barry Andrews (think that's his name)was a pretty cool protagonist in contrast to some of the stuffier ones. He's great in BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW too- a favorite non-Hammer Brit horror flick of mine.

Andrew Keir does a good job filling in for Van Helsing as the vampire killing monk too.

And Veronica Carlson is one of the best of the "Hammer Girls" IMO.

All the Drac death scenes are great in the series, but the one in RISEN's one of my favorites.
                        Carlson was also really good in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. She was a pretty good actress. Andrew Keir was in Dracula:Prince Of Darkness not Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. He was one of the best Hammer regulars.

Comment

Carlson was also really good in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed. She was a pretty good actress. Andrew Keir was in Dracula:Prince Of Darkness not Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. He was one of the best Hammer regulars.
                          Ah, shit, that's right!

And I just watched the series straight through about a month ago too!

Think I watched those 2 the same night- that's probably why they ran together in my mind.

Yeah...that's it.

Comment

Ah, shit, that's right!

And I just watched the series straight through about a month ago too!

Think I watched those 2 the same night- that's probably why they ran together in my mind.

Yeah...that's it.
                            I have watched all seven of the Christopher Lee Dracula films in a row a couple of times. LOL They all run together after a while.....it's okay.

Comment

I have watched all seven of the Christopher Lee Dracula films in a row a couple of times. LOL They all run together after a while.....it's okay.

You mentioned FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE... earlier too, which happens to be my favorite of that series.

Comment

Working...
                              X