No announcement yet.

The Haunting (1963)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Haunting's one of those sleepy Black and white films thats put on late at night when the BBC or ITV thinks not alot of people will watch it.

Fuck'em

The Haunting is one of the best 1960's ghost story films if not THE BEST.

I really appreciated this film when my brother EREBUS DIRGE and I went to see this movie at the DEAD BY DAWN horror convention in Edinburgh.

We thought fuck it - we've seen this a few times on tv -we'll get some sleep for an hour or so.

NOT SO

This is one of the loudest horror movies in a cinema and the sound plays a mammoth part in the Ghost story's power.

That and the fact some of the dialogue is unintentionally ripe with innuendo

The lesbian psychic lass (played by Clare bloom in the orig and zeta Jones in the remake) is slyly coming on to the dowdy, plain psychic lass (GOD KNOWS WHY) with some choice dialogue and a huge laugh went through the audience when the dowdy psychic says "i dont want to go to sleep tonight not knowing whats over my head"

Class movie . The mutts nuts
    Last edited by Cerberus Dirge; 09-09-2011, 07:19 AM.

Comment

A masterful horror flick. Most true to Shirley Jackson, in that it parallels a repressed psyche with a haunted house. The only thing I liked about the remake was the design of the mansion - I'd love to live there.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by retinalworm View Post
        A masterful horror flick. Most true to Shirley Jackson, in that it parallels a repressed psyche with a haunted house. The only thing I liked about the remake was the design of the mansion - I'd love to live there.
        Are you sure of this?
        "I want this place to go nuts, north, south, east, west, left, right! Activate this dance floor!!"
        Scott Vogel from Terror

Comment

Originally posted by Santa Sangre View Post
          Are you sure of this?
          Lol absolutely. The tedious boogums didn't scare me at all.
          sigpic

Comment

Arguably, the greatest ghost movie ever made
            I am known in many realms by many names, but those that know me in your world call me the Phantom Stranger.

Comment

The haunting is one of the best older movies. What I don't get is why they try to take older horror movies that were really good and they try to redo them they end up just failing horribly you can't take an epic horror movie and make it better then it already is. They should have taken something that failed and remade it to make something good. But the haunting is one of my favorites out of my collection.

My blogs CNA Training Ragnarok

Comment

I haven't seen this one in a while, I have it on DVD but I never really felt like watching it much. Whether I still like it or not, I know it will be better than that piece of shit 1999 CGI cartoon remake.

I shall put this on my Halloween viewing list.

Comment

So far, the best haunted horror movie I've ever seen!

I'm on a haunted house marathon and just viewed this for the first time last night after I viewed The Legend of Hell House (1973). And need I say....by far, this is the best haunted house horror movie I've ever laid my eyes upon. It is currently contending (in my own list) against Dead of Night (1945) as British best horror movie ever.

When I first read the synopsis of the movie, I didn't believe a haunted house with erratic character would actually scare me, because The Shining upset me a great deal by having the same character (played by Shelley Duvall who was abused in real-life by Stanley Kubrick) which didn't deliver, add to it the fact that I found the acting laughable and none of the scenes scared me at all. So when I learned upon the synopsis of The Haunting, I took some time to decide whether or not I would watch it before finally adding it to my marathon list because I finally thought maybe Robert Wise would be wise enough (pun intended) to not abuse Julie Harris (whom I've heard had a great difficulty playing Eleanor Lance character) like Kubrick did to Duvall which ultimately lead to her unendingly annoying portrayal (which earned her and Kubrick two Razzie nominations), in which perhaps the worst performance ever in mainstream horror. And boy, am I glad to give The Haunting a well deserving chance!!

It's just like I always dream a haunted house horror movie to be!! Amazing story, masterful directing, eerie atmosphere, magnificent camera work, well-built suspense, top notch score, beautiful cinematography, great leading characters, and incredible acting by Julie Harris!! Her character actually came as sad more than annoying, and since she was given a fair background story, you could sympathize with her behavior throughout the movie!! The effects and the scenes were well done and the tensions were well done!!

I'm not saying movies like The Legend of Hell House & House On The Haunted Hill were bad, no, but The Haunting has the 'it' factor that grips your from the start and never let go. The two noises on the wall scene were very tense, the bending door scene was eye-catching, the stair scene was dramatic, the ceiling scene almost gave me a heart attack, and the ending was frightening!! It must have one of the best last lines in horror history EVER. I'm glad I gave this watch!! A masterpiece in every possible level of film-making! Too bad they don't make 'em like this anymore!!!

I still got plethora of other haunted house horror movies to watch, including The Changeling & The Innocents, but The Haunting set the standard pretty high. Although I will still hope for the best. Even if those two couldn't topple The Haunting, I can understand why. Martin Scorsese didn't name this movie the scariest horror movie of all time for nothing.

10/10. Eternally recommended.

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

Comment

Woo-hoo! Glad you enjoyed it! For my money, it's easily one of the best horror films ever made. It's just tremendous. Packed with genuine suspense and scares, empathetic heroes, and, as you point out, there are so many incredible set-pieces. My favorite has gotta be the whispering Eleanor hears in the room, but all we can see is the wallpaper. Creepy. As. Hell.
                    READ ME AT horror films 101
                    03/28/12 - Feature: Candle Cove
                    03/26/12 - Review: The Maker of Gargoyles (Clark Ashton Smith)
                    03/04/12 - Review: The Video Dead (Robert Scott)

Comment

Originally posted by Dead & Messed Up View Post
                      Woo-hoo! Glad you enjoyed it! For my money, it's easily one of the best horror films ever made. It's just tremendous. Packed with genuine suspense and scares, empathetic heroes, and, as you point out, there are so many incredible set-pieces. My favorite has gotta be the whispering Eleanor hears in the room, but all we can see is the wallpaper. Creepy. As. Hell.
                      I was spooked when Eleanor thought she was holding someone's hand but it turned out....

But really, the stairway scene is perhaps one of the most tensed scene I've ever witnessed in any movie. And as I have noted, the ceiling scene almost gave me a heart attack. By far the best haunted house horror movie of all time. But I still got The Innocents (1961) to watch and many people have been telling me this might give The Haunting a run for its money.

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

Comment

This Is one of my ALL TIME favorites

This was the first horror movie I ever saw. It got me into horror and has led me to a higher level of understanding for the genre. The ability to create dread without ever SEEING anything, just relying on the building tension and sounds in the film was perfect! "It's as if the house is trying to split us apart" and the monologue "Hill House has stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Within, walls continue upright, bricks meet, floors are firm, and doors are sensibly shut. Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone." Absolutely chilling!

Comment

i love this film.. but then I think all classic horror is awesome... even silent films..

Life and death are one thread, the same line viewed from different sides.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkPoet41 View Post
                            i love this film.. but then I think all classic horror is awesome... even silent films..
                            Silent horror rules. You're right to love them.
                            READ ME AT horror films 101
                            03/28/12 - Feature: Candle Cove
                            03/26/12 - Review: The Maker of Gargoyles (Clark Ashton Smith)
                            03/04/12 - Review: The Video Dead (Robert Scott)

Comment

A review I came up with a couple years ago:

Before becoming known for such films as The Day The Earth Stood Still, The Sound of Music, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Robert Wise worked with Val Lewton on a few horror films. One of them I have seen, and its pretty sweet: The Body Snatcher, which was creepy Gothic horror, sporting an excellent Boris Karloff performance. Well in 1963, Wise returned to the genre with the well made classic The Haunting, and I'm glad he did because the movie is pretty damn good. This film, much like "Snatcher," has rather strong psychological undertones. And it works. Also I flat out love the film's beginning, where the eerie sounding narrator tells the rather stark and dark tale of how Hill House became a cold, damp and forbidding place.

Unlike many other horror films that rely primarily on gore and jump scares, this movie instead slowly builds up its frightening moments, and rests on letting your imagination mainly take over. I much prefer this method instead, even though I must confess that many of the movies that have scared me feature rather shocking jump scares and more obvious methods. The cast itself is wisely rather tight and small, thus allowing us to focus on a few characters and thus making us more likely to fear for their safety. Large casts in horror movies are typically only useful for slasher movies anyways. Oh and apparently there was a lesbian undertone to the two female characters, but I really didn't see it.

Anyways, the film's last half is really, really strange, and is highly psychological. I'm not sure what really transpires, although there are clues to suggest that what the good Doctor thinks happened, happened. But I do like that final scene, one that sort of inspires a bit of creepy feelings and is sometimes featured in horror films. Overall I'd say so far this is one of the best horror flicks out of the ones I've seen so far, and it even stands a chance of cracking my Top 20. 90
                              Horrorfest 2013

This has nothing to do with where I came from, or what happened to me... I would've ended up here no matter what. I made a choice, I made a choice to provide a counterbalance to all those things that we hold good... and pure. You chose journalism, okay.

Comment

The opening is still one of my favorites,when the story of Hill House is told,Creepy and chilling.Watch with the lights out.

Comment

Working...
                                X