No announcement yet.

The Haunting (1963)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearZombies View Post
    This was the first horror movie I ever saw. It got me into horror and has led me to a higher level of understanding for the genre. The ability to create dread without ever SEEING anything, just relying on the building tension and sounds in the film was perfect! "It's as if the house is trying to split us apart" and the monologue "Hill House has stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Within, walls continue upright, bricks meet, floors are firm, and doors are sensibly shut. Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here... walk alone." Absolutely chilling!
    Yes, that final monologue is great! Seriously, The Haunting may very well have the best opening & ending line ever in any horror movie!

The opening monologue really set the tone for the whole movie:

"An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone."

And that ending line you stated was just perfect!

She isn't a scream queen for nothing, right?

I bought the novel by Shirley Jackson yesterday. About the movie, I can only say that is a masterpiece of suspense.
      The Devil for me is a little girl... Dressed in white

I haven't read the book but I really love the tense atmosphere of the film. Great stuff.
        "I'm gonna put something in you, make the devil feel surprised".-Mazzy Star