Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashton View Post
    The sequels, like pretty much all the sequels in the classic Universal franchise(s) aren't very good (the exception as far as Universal's sequels go, is of course "Bride of Frankenstein."
    I don't think you're giving enough credit to Universal monster sequels. While the first in the series are hard to beat in all cases, many of the follow-ups have things going for them.

Frankenstein had "Bride", of course. A rare sequel superior to the original and a flat-out brilliant movie. "Son" is underrated. An A-list production with a great look. Karloff's last time as The Monster. "Ghost" is still pretty good. Enough new plot developments (especially with Lugosi's Igor) to keep things fresh.

Dracula had "Daughter", which is also underrated. It was way ahead of its time, with the self-loathing vampire and hints of lesbianism. "Son" was OK. Chaney didn't seem well-suited for Dracula, but it was watchable.

Invisible Man has a solid sequel with "Returns" (an early horror role for Vincent Price). Then the series starts playing things for laughs and it gets bad quick.

The Mummy movies actually weren't sequels to the Karloff movie, but a reboot. "Hand" was a fun action-horror. Then the series got progressively worse until they were MST3K-level.

The Monster-matchup movies ("House of Drac", "House of Frank", "Frank vs Wolf Man") were all fun and fast-paced, if a bit hokey.

But as some of you may know, there's going to be a remake.
    Yeah, I don't know about the remake. 2008 is a long way off -- at this point, it's just a studio, director, and writer attached, right? At this point, many movies die, so we'll see. A big problem I have with a remake is that it just seems pointless. The basic story of "Creature" -- people travel to a remote wilderness area, encounter monster hidden from civilization, battle monster -- has been told many times since "Creature". The only point of an official remake is to rip off the Gill Man design, and cash in on the franchise name. And considering most of todays horror audience haven't even seen (or maybe even heard of) the original, I'm not sure of the value of the latter point. Though I don't really care if a good movie is produced at the end from all of this.

Comment

I haven' seen Creature... in so long. It's one I enjoyed on Saturday afternoon. I guess a remake could be interesting to watch. Just because premise has been done many times over doesn't mean it's entirely pointless or wouldnt still be fun to watch. But it is a crap shoot. Sometimes remakes are pleasant surprises, other times.....

Comment

Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
        I don't think you're giving enough credit to Universal monster sequels. While the first in the series are hard to beat in all cases, many of the follow-ups have things going for them.

Frankenstein had "Bride", of course. A rare sequel superior to the original and a flat-out brilliant movie. "Son" is underrated. An A-list production with a great look. Karloff's last time as The Monster. "Ghost" is still pretty good. Enough new plot developments (especially with Lugosi's Igor) to keep things fresh.

Dracula had "Daughter", which is also underrated. It was way ahead of its time, with the self-loathing vampire and hints of lesbianism. "Son" was OK. Chaney didn't seem well-suited for Dracula, but it was watchable.

Invisible Man has a solid sequel with "Returns" (an early horror role for Vincent Price). Then the series starts playing things for laughs and it gets bad quick.

The Mummy movies actually weren't sequels to the Karloff movie, but a reboot. "Hand" was a fun action-horror. Then the series got progressively worse until they were MST3K-level.

The Monster-matchup movies ("House of Drac", "House of Frank", "Frank vs Wolf Man") were all fun and fast-paced, if a bit hokey.
        You're right. I do like the Universal sequels, but maybe I came across too negatively. Bela Lugosi's Ygor in "Son of Frankenstein" is one of his greatest performances, and of course that and most all the other Universal sequels are brilliant... visually. "Son" would have been great, but I didn't like the way the script stripped away any humanity you had seen the Creature gain in the original and "Bride" so quickly and carelessly. The same is true of the other ater "Frankenstein" sequels: Great casts, visually vibrant, but poor scripts. Sorry, it's just that when compared to the first two "Frankenstein" movies, all the other ones come across as derivitive, ridiculous B-movies. Not to say they aren't incredibly enjoyable, but...

I completely forgot about "Dracula's Daughter" momentarily... whoops, stupid me. That is indeed a wonderful sequel, and I love it. It comese close to equaling "Bride of Frankenstein," and like that film is better than the original.

Originally posted by ZantiMisfit View Post
        Yeah, I don't know about the remake. 2008 is a long way off -- at this point, it's just a studio, director, and writer attached, right? At this point, many movies die, so we'll see. A big problem I have with a remake is that it just seems pointless. The basic story of "Creature" -- people travel to a remote wilderness area, encounter monster hidden from civilization, battle monster -- has been told many times since "Creature". The only point of an official remake is to rip off the Gill Man design, and cash in on the franchise name. And considering most of todays horror audience haven't even seen (or maybe even heard of) the original, I'm not sure of the value of the latter point. Though I don't really care if a good movie is produced at the end from all of this.
        I agree with you. A remake is indeed very pointless... I'm wondering if they'll end up taking this into action movie territory like they did with "The Mummy". Just curious... what did you think of that remake, and "Th eMummy Returns"? I can only say I tohught they were "okay." Just obnoxious action movies, like "Van Helsing" was, but still enjoyable, on that level.

My DVD's
        +5 Trader Status

"God has left the building."

Comment

Just curious... what did you think of that remake, and "Th eMummy Returns"? I can only say I tohught they were "okay." Just obnoxious action movies, like "Van Helsing" was, but still enjoyable, on that level.
          Not to go off topic too much, but ... I enjoyed Sommers' Mummy movies for what they were (summer popcorn action movies). I didn't see them as remakes, really. Aside from featuring a Mummy named Im-Ho-Tep, the two movies share little in story or style. The actors were likable (Fraser, Weisz, and Vosloo), and that helped sell the CGI overload. Didn't care for Van Helsing. The characters felt flat compared to the Mummy. The CGI action made me feel like I was watching someone else play a video game. And worst of all, Universal put Stephen Sommers on the classic Universal Legacy sets, essentially to pimp "Van Helsing".

Comment

So Feb 08 is to be the release date. Kinda weird considering there hasn't been much on it so far. I'm thinking that's a big ball park figure.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy View Post
              So Feb 08 is to be the release date. Kinda weird considering there hasn't been much on it so far. I'm thinking that's a big ball park figure.
              Yeah...that's not gonna happen.

Comment

A remake of this AND The Wolf Man. I'm surprised it took so long....
                * Check out my daily blog, The Vault of Horror, for news, opinion and other cool stuff...

Comment

I want to see the original badly, I haven't been able to find it ANYWHERE.

Comment

Universal put out a "legacy" DVD set a few years ago. It's still on Amazon. Also, if you're a Netflix member, it should be easy to get through there.
                    * Check out my daily blog, The Vault of Horror, for news, opinion and other cool stuff...

Comment

I've always liked "Revenge of the Creature" a little better than the first one. Lots of action and 50s "spectacle"...a real "summer movie". Has anyone ever noticed the difference in the creature suit from picture to picture? He looked best in the first, a little darker, slimier and less realistic in "Revenge" and is only seen above-water for a minute or so in the third, before catching on fire and becoming the "humanized" creature...which IS very good make-up. I've also always thought Lori Nelsing was the cutest of his "intended"s. Too bad the last one wasn't a little better, but still a classic trilogy....

Comment

Wasn't there also a fourth one, "She-Creature"?

Comment

No...Universal has considered that idea, but it never happened. "She Creature" is just a cheap rip-off made by American International. Other "Creature" rip-offs are:

Monster of Peidras Blancas
                          Destination Inner Space
                          OctoMan

The Creature was also seen on an episode of "The Munsters" as Uncle Gilbert
                          In color in "The Munster's Revenge"
                          and introduced for a few seconds as a "test" before the first film was released on "Abbott and Costello's Colgate Hour"

There are a couple of other "sightings", but only THREE movies....

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                            No...Universal has considered that idea, but it never happened. "She Creature" is just a cheap rip-off made by American International. Other "Creature" rip-offs are:

Monster of Peidras Blancas
                            Destination Inner Space
                            OctoMan

The Creature was also seen on an episode of "The Munsters" as Uncle Gilbert
                            In color in "The Munster's Revenge"
                            and introduced for a few seconds as a "test" before the first film was released on "Abbott and Costello's Colgate Hour"

There are a couple of other "sightings", but only THREE movies....
                            WOW lol Abbott & Costello Meet the Creature from the Black Lagoon!!

Oh, the possibilities.....

"Chick, what do you mean you saw a fish-man in the water? Get a hold of yourself, you're talking nonsense!" **SLAP**

Comment

Favorite movie dude!

Hey dude, its my fav film of all time, I remember when i was in grade 6 i had to do an art porfoilio, and i chose to do the Creature, since then hes been the main monster of my horror life, i even have him tattooèd on my arm, along with all the other universal monsters!!

watch the sequals though.... he didnt die...... He got Revenge!!!!
                              lol

good post dude, any classics you need to know aboot, just ask man!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beamer View Post
                                watch the sequals though.... he didnt die...... He got Revenge!!!!
                                lol
                                And then he WALKED AMONG US!

The original CREATURE is one of the best "Beauty & the Beast" tales on film. Right after the original KING KONG.

Comment

Working...
                                X